No announcement yet.

“The Hard Call” by Formula D Judge Ken Takahashi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plenty of other drivers have lost this year because of mechanical difficulties (Forsberg included) so Rhys can live with a runner-up finish that still gave him the Championship.

Seriously, mechanical failure is as much a part of motorsports as mechanical superiority. Run big or go home.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
      I dont try to pass. I can see that everyone wants to win, but to have to cheat inorder to do it doesnt make it much of a win, well it keeps your sponcors happy. In racing there are 2 types, cheaters and loosers. It seems drifting has gone the same way.

I do this for the fun and excitement of it. If I want to cheat, I can too. But I'd rather just enjoy being in the middle of the points standings and stay true to what I have learned, Good Clean Drifting. Not lait entry, inside line, e-brake, no momentum, *Censored**Censored**Censored* DRIFTING!!!!
      you even thought that rhys should have won thats why you said no comment. ha thats why you crahsed...

Comment

In the 05 FD Finals at Irwindale I think Gushi got robbed. I dont think any "hard calls" were made there, only the wrong calls. Re-gripping should be punished. And seeing how the points standings for the season came out so close with Gushi and Sam, left a sour taste in my mouth. I dont know much about the points system but I think that battle determined who would have been 2nd or 3rd for the season. Was a shame somrt sort of politics seemed to take place.

Comment

In the beggining of the season the judges said that the way they judge is on palm pilots, then they input the score idividually then add them up. But toward the end of the season I never saw them with any palm pilots and it seemed like the just tossed a coin in the air and decided on that.

Comment

I just hope for the sake of the sport that all the BIG sponsors dont just back out after they all get their wins that could be detremental to the drifting community. I say support your local drift clinics there is nothing anyone can do in regards of what Formula D does with their series, I think the pro drivers need to get together and create a union...not to b*tch and complain about who should of won what or take anything away from anyone (after all the season is over and we all need to move on), but so that they can give input on course lay out, and perhaps re-evaluate the way points are scored, and this of course has to be very well organized and there must be a lot of communication and all points be brought up before any event takes place so that there is no controversy during an event no matter how unfair a judges decision may seem to others. Yes I agree with most of you and disagree with a lot of you but that does not matter because in the end as a whole it seems that the community just wants drifting to grow as a whole. In my opinion I really think that Formula D needs to make sure that ALL the judges must have had an extensive profesional racing background and has some drifting background as well. I might be wrong in a lot of things but this is just my opinion and I hope it might inspire some of you with ideas to help this motorsport grow!

Comment

Reference Talladega's history to see how well a driver's union works, bucko. It's been tried before, and it was shot down in a heartbeat.

Comment

in a perfect world, a union would sure sound nice...lets face it. If drivers boycott, there will be 100 others in line wanting to take thier place. A union needs funding to operate...a lot of the drivers dont have money, intrest in politics, nor the time for a union...

Comment

Originally posted by swifty949
                  in a perfect world, a union would sure sound nice...lets face it. If drivers boycott, there will be 100 others in line wanting to take thier place. A union needs funding to operate...a lot of the drivers dont have money, intrest in politics, nor the time for a union...

in a perfect world thered be no need for a union anyways

Comment

Originally posted by swifty949
                    That's exactly what happened at Talladega in 1969.

Richard Petty, David Pearson, Bobby & Donnie Allison, and the rest of NASCAR's stars in 1969 were in the beginning stages of putting together a driver's union to create a safer, better paying, more regularly paying racing circuit with benefits and security for drivers who were in it for the long haul with NASCAR.

When qualifying speeds - thanks to the hyperaerodynamic Charger Daytona and Torino Talladega - at Talladega in 1969 were cracking 200mph the infant "driver's union" said to Bill France Sr. "We won't race because this is ridiculously unsafe, and because we're the stars of the sport and we won't be on track, you'll lose money because the fans won't come."

Well, Big Bill France looked at the situation, then called up every other driver that wasn't in the boycott, including drivers and teams from NASCAR's modified and latemodel circuits as opposed to just Grand National, and put on the Talladega race without the stars, and still packed the stands because of the pure draw of the racing, and the jazz factor of 200mph stock cars in 1969.

The stars came back to Daytona and Talladega driving 200mph stock cars in 1970 without a fuss, and the driver's union was never spoken of again.

As the famous saying goes "We were eye to eye, and I think the other guy just blinked."

Comment

when I mentioned a union when I was writting this it had never crossed my mind to "boycott" anything but I guess if your a cry baby that cannot communicate it is very likely that that is what is gonna happen, so I guess it might very well be a bad idea? My intentions when I said that was just to start establishing a line of communication so that the drivers can voice their opinion as a whole and perhaps the series they are racing on can better understand what the driver's thinking and opinion's on matters such as track lay out or even just concerns and ideas that can help in future events. I mean maybe its me and im just picky but if I was a driver at the level they are trying to compete at then why are so many things handled unprofesionally at times? Now dont get me wrong and please correct me if I am mistaken but I think it is unfair for track lay outs to be changed (even if it is a slight change) before and after practice or even qualifying rounds, and also I belive that unseeded drivers should get more track time. I know things are starting to change and dont get me wrong Formula D has done a lot and im sure it is hard work to be so organized but if you are going to be considered a pro then the series you are racing should handle themselfs as profesionals and minimise at the very least little situations like this. I mean I myself am a nobody but I still hear the same complaints from different drivers and teams and it just baffles me as to why small problems cannot be addressed and took care of in a timely manner, so that is why it crossed my mind that perhaps the drivers need to speak up as a whole. Pluss who knows I am probably completly wrong but I was thinking if the drivers spoke up then perhaps it might be easier for Formula D to work together alongside them to better this fast growing motorsport instead of looking at the internet forums. If anyone feels like I am taking a shot at them then you are wrong, my intentions are not to put anyone down but merely to just give my 2 cents just like the rest of you and then perhaps maybe I myself can better understand the situation. I know that having a driver's union is not as simple as it sounds but what else can they do so that all those privateers and small shops that want to stay commited and dedicated to driving F.D. can be heard and taken seriously? This is not a retorical question by the way im serious what else can they do?
                      Last edited by Walther; 10-13-2005, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by motdyn_s14
                        Agree... let me say this again: I think matching the drift of the opponent in
                        front of you involves more car control skills than just going for the pass and push your opponent out of the way or stealing his line. The follow car has to match the drift angle, speed and line of the lead car and that's what makes it tough. So yes, I maintain that passing should only be allowed when the lead car CLEARLY MAKES A MISTAKE. This is not a race.
                        YES! people please listen to the real drivers and not the internet drifters!

Comment

#1 - Formula Drift is two seasons old: That they're able to plan Season 3 without the Sword of Damocles hanging around is a small miracle. It takes time to grow an organization, and two years is not enough time especially when you're surrounded by 50+ year old organizations.

#2 - The Series Comes First: I hate to break it to the drivers, the teams, the builders, and the sponsors, (especially because at one point or another I've been all four), but the SANCTIONING BODY is in control and the SANCTIOING BODY is the most important thing. Without Formula Drift, you stay at home waiting for D1 to come over again. It's Formula Drift's primary obligation to see to it that competitors have fair competitions, have a safe place to compete, and get paid for competing. All else is ENTIRELY THE TEAMS' RESPONSIBILITY.

#3 - Teams Are Sink or Swim: This is motorsports, kiddos, and highly competitive motorsports at that. The level of car prep, level of driver skill, and level of tuning is increasing at an exponential rate, and as such costs are escalating too. If you can't compete under the same rules as everyone else, it's not the sanctioning body's responsibility to help you compete, it's your responsibility to FOLLOW THE RULES. Like 'em or lump 'em, the France family got NASCAR to be bigger than stick & ball sports by exerting dictatorial control over the teams, the rules, and race procedure. You turn the series over to some sort of council of teams and drivers and you will end up in the same self-destructive boat as Trans-Am and/or CART.

I've been around motorsport my whole life, as a driver, a builder, as crew, as a journalist, and even in the political end. Formula Drift has issues, but they need to exert more control over the goings on at their events, more authority, and LESS listening to suggestions of competitors and other constituents.

Comment

I think that type of approach will work for racing, but I dont think it will work out too well with drifting unless the judging is really good. Racing is clean cut, time based, no questions asked. But if there is a feeling that the judging at a drifting series is not very good, its gonna drive people away. I dont think anyone is trying to say FD itself has a problem, but there are just some major judging related things that dont seem to make sense compared to what you see in Japan events. Stuff like re-gripping and going for a pass when there is no room, its obvious stuff that should be punished. Very different from comparing angles or lines where there would be a bigger leeway for the judge to make a call they see fit and you have to accept it. Its confusing to see some obviously wrong things being selectively overlooked by the judges. In order for the sport to grow the series should want new and upcomming talent working hard to enter the events. This will be hard to do if the new and upcomming drivers have doubts about the judging. I think FD should listen to the current drivers. Not so much on the specifics of who what when where, but just the general idea that maybe something is wrong and needs to be looked at.

Comment

Originally posted by Octagon
                              #1 - Formula Drift is two seasons old: That they're able to plan Season 3 without the Sword of Damocles hanging around is a small miracle. It takes time to grow an organization, and two years is not enough time especially when you're surrounded by 50+ year old organizations.

#2 - The Series Comes First: I hate to break it to the drivers, the teams, the builders, and the sponsors, (especially because at one point or another I've been all four), but the SANCTIONING BODY is in control and the SANCTIOING BODY is the most important thing. Without Formula Drift, you stay at home waiting for D1 to come over again. It's Formula Drift's primary obligation to see to it that competitors have fair competitions, have a safe place to compete, and get paid for competing. All else is ENTIRELY THE TEAMS' RESPONSIBILITY.

#3 - Teams Are Sink or Swim: This is motorsports, kiddos, and highly competitive motorsports at that. The level of car prep, level of driver skill, and level of tuning is increasing at an exponential rate, and as such costs are escalating too. If you can't compete under the same rules as everyone else, it's not the sanctioning body's responsibility to help you compete, it's your responsibility to FOLLOW THE RULES. Like 'em or lump 'em, the France family got NASCAR to be bigger than stick & ball sports by exerting dictatorial control over the teams, the rules, and race procedure. You turn the series over to some sort of council of teams and drivers and you will end up in the same self-destructive boat as Trans-Am and/or CART.

I've been around motorsport my whole life, as a driver, a builder, as crew, as a journalist, and even in the political end. Formula Drift has issues, but they need to exert more control over the goings on at their events, more authority, and LESS listening to suggestions of competitors and other constituents.
                              ok I understand what you are saying but if that is the case why even go on Drifting.com and open up a can of worms knowing that 90% of the people that are members are just strong opinionated forum junkies with no such car background as yourself...
                              Last edited by Walther; 10-14-2005, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
                                I think that type of approach will work for racing, but I dont think it will work out too well with drifting unless the judging is really good. Racing is clean cut, time based, no questions asked. But if there is a feeling that the judging at a drifting series is not very good, its gonna drive people away. I dont think anyone is trying to say FD itself has a problem, but there are just some major judging related things that dont seem to make sense compared to what you see in Japan events. Stuff like re-gripping and going for a pass when there is no room, its obvious stuff that should be punished. Very different from comparing angles or lines where there would be a bigger leeway for the judge to make a call they see fit and you have to accept it. Its confusing to see some obviously wrong things being selectively overlooked by the judges. In order for the sport to grow the series should want new and upcomming talent working hard to enter the events. This will be hard to do if the new and upcomming drivers have doubts about the judging. I think FD should listen to the current drivers. Not so much on the specifics of who what when where, but just the general idea that maybe something is wrong and needs to be looked at.
                                yes, I agree.

Comment

Working...
                                X