ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What upgrades do i need to make my car drift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What upgrades do i need to make my car drift?

I have a stock 1995 Lexus sc300 rwd and I want to drift with it. What do I need to do to get started?

Umm. Nothing? There are mods you might like to do, but you have everything you require to get pretty good right there.

Comment

dang. there was a special article in a mag about a sc300 they turned into a drift car. and here it is http://www.importtuner.com/features/...300/index.html

Comment

seat time is the best upgrade get out there and hit it

things that will make your life easier:
        -reliability
        -suspension (coilovers)
        -LSD
        -more power

Comment

Weld the diff and scoop up some coilovers.

Powered by max sells sc300 coilovers for like $1100 and your diff can be welded for $100 or less.

All you need really.

Comment

Careful about the coilovers. Cheap stuff is cheap for a reason. Just because you can buy a set for $1k doesn't mean you should. Research your options and actually buy something that is well built.

As for what you need, that depends. Really the first big step is just learning how to drift and understand the physics behind it. A good driver can make a pile of crap drift as long as it is physically possible. Spend time learning the car. Spend time learning the science behind drifting. At some point you will begin to understand what you can and can't do with the car. You want to get to a point where the car limits you, not you limiting the car. This is when you will understand that you need to change something with the car to change the physical capability and let the car do what you want it to do. You need the skill and understanding in the first place to understand what you need to do to get to where you want to be. Otherwise you're just clueless and buy things you don't need and modify the car in ways that are not helpful.

There will be basic parts you want to upgrade. Cfrost gives some hints, but that's really the tip of the iceberg. There's a LOT you can do with a car.

Comment

I agree on the coilovers first, and a 1.5 or 2 way differential, if your broke just have your oem welded.
              that alone even if your car is underpowered will allow your car to slide easily, remember your car is long and heavy to is will slide around easier than smaller cars.
              starts going to local track events for beginners, and then go from there.

Comment

on the subject of coil overs can anyone please tell me wtf these are, i dont get why they are so cheap??

http://www.slickcar.com/productdetai...ProductID=1296

Comment

to make it real simple, buy
                  #1coilovers
                  #2 get an lsd(2way) or have your welded.
                  there now you can start hitting up local beginner drift events and start drifting,
                  if it's a thing you like and want to get more into, then you can start looking at more suspension components, like camber/toe/tension/tie rods
                  and after your suspension is set up.then and only then you can start looking at power upgrades, or motor swaps!

Comment

I don't understand the obsession with suspension. 2-way or welded diffs, yes, it is so much easier to slide a car with a locked diff but suspension is one of those things you should know whether or not you need and if you don't know you probably aren't good enough to need it.

I'm rocking a motor that made 170bhp when it was made twenty years ago and standard suspension.

I don't think I do that badly for not having spent over a thousand dollars on coilovers. My car cost me £500 (about $750 or so) and I'm still learning with it.

Buy stuff when not having it holds you back, not before. I can't tell you the number of people I have heard of who spent far too much on a car before crashing it/blowing the engine/etc and then they gave up drifting because "it's too expensive".

Comment

Working...
                    X