ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"DRIFT TRUCK" Im gonna Do It!!! Goods and Bads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st step - build a space frame! Pickups are just 2 frame rails with a motor, cab, and bed plopped on top. You WILL need some sort of space frame to achieve the torsional rigidity nescessary for drifting. If you don't have torsional rigidity it won't matter what kind of suspension you have becasue your wheels will be flopping all over the place.

2nd step - do a mid-mount: Get a pickup with an extended cab, build a firewall just behind the front seats and across the top (like a lot of people build speaker boxes). put a hard cover on the bed and cut out the bottom rear panel of the cab. You now have an engine bay in the dead center of the truck. Most motors should fit under a hard top without trouble, but your best bet would be a Mazda rotary, Subaru EJ20 or 2.5RS motor (because of the horizontally opposed design and low-low profile) hooked directly to a differential and no AWD half-shafts up front or the slip sensors removed.

3rd step - suspension: you'll have to have the suspension in mind while designing your space frame and placing the motor, but there a lot of possibilities for suspension. You could just use some Macphearson struts from another car and call it a day, which would save needing to place upper control arms. However, that wouldn't match the beauty of a double-wishbone system. For this, you could fint a wrecked or motor-less CRX and transplant the upper and lower control arms as well as the shocks and steering system. The steering rack on a CRX is aft of the spindles, which may even mount to the stock engine mounts of your truck, although you will need longer arms on it unless you want a narrow wheelbase up front. If you want to be really Le Mans abuot it, you could fabricate suspension mounting points on the rear differential and have the shocks be push-rod activated like on F1 cars and have the (fabricated) control arms attached to fnalges in the differential. Still, you would need some spindles both front and rear since strut and leaf-spring equipped cars use those suspensions to locate the half-shafts.

4th step - odds and ends: Put a fuel cell in the former-engine bay, use inboard brakes (rotors attached to where the half-shafts meet the differential and calipers bolted to the housing like the suspension is - this is similar to a Jaguar type rear end), replace your tail gate with a grille and whatever tail lights you want, mount the radiator and fan a few inches in front of the gate with a duct coming through the bed topper for good airflow along with other vents for intake and intercooler if any.

5th step - DRIFT-O-MANIA!!!

It won't have the servicability of a bed, which doesn't really seem to be what you're after. It would be one hell of a truck with excellent weight distrobution and polar moment of inertia. This is similar to what Toyota did for the Pikes Peak Tocoma, but if you refuse to do a body drop on to a new platform you may end up with more bracing and adapters than truck. I too have considered this project and it is indeed extreme, but if you want to do it, I believe that this is the best way!

Good luck and SEND LOTS OF PICTURES!!!!!!!!

-MR

Comment

The original DRIFT TRUCK

Yall all have your priorities wrong!!!!!!

Go practice drifting or build up an affordable vehicle to practice in instead of talking all kinds of crap on these boards.

Weight distribution this and suspension that. *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* you dont NEED any of it yet!

Anything will drift as long as YOU give it the right inputs. And before you go flaming on me about that, know that my daily driver is a 91 hardbody 4x4 extended cab with a VG30e and a stick. AND I DRIFT IT. With 31's and a worn out viscous LSD its kinda hard to break em loose in the dry but i can maintain all day in the wet. If i spent more time jerking off on the computer i would post some vids my girl shot. But i like to spend my time driving or working on my vehicles not getting carpel tunnel and bad eyesight. I wish that old thread about people drifting their mouse more than their ride was still around cus i would link to it!

And please stop calling it a hardtop its a HARDBODY or D21

To the dude who started this thread do what you want, but try the thing out with the stock susp. first. You would be surprised how capable it is. Hell if my 4x4 can do it your 4x2 should have no prob. Nismo even makes a LSD for the r200 rear end. A GOOD DRIVER an LSD and an sr or ka det would be plenty to make that thing go sideways.

Comment

Damn man i wish i got this attention when i talked about my amigo im building. Well most of this being hard to drift a truck on leafs is crap i drift my daily a 96 mazda B3000 lowered with koni shocks . But changing over to a linked rear is the ticket,weight dis. is cool but learn how to control it first ive beed customizing trucks all my life and probaly will never stop. I think itll be great to have more sport truck enthuisist out there making a name for ourselves.If you want some real fab. tech pick up a street rod mag., these people make frames for 51 mercs thatll do anything . Oh yea im using bags too, just remeber they have spring rates like coils so buy the ones thatll suit your needs.

Comment

[Bows to Mr. Anlet]
          Wow, I thought I was a big thinker, you're design is Off-The-Chain!! Good sh!t!!

crusTE72corolla- Dude, have you read the posts to this thread?? WTF is your problem?? You talk about baja rally driving in your pick up, which sure it's drifting, but what does your corolla look like?? this is what I drift:
          Attached Files

Comment

To continue..

I already said that weight distribution didn't really matter earlier in this thread. I already explained that this project is supposed to be funny at the beginning of this thread as well, and that you can drift anything as long as you can drive.

PAY ATTENTION if you're gonna talk sh!t! We also thought that the truck would be just fine without going Mid-engine!!

And yes I do do all the work on my car, no that's not the original front end, I've been a mechanic for about 10 years now, like my father before me, and yes now I work at a shop.

And yes I might get carpal tunnel syndrome from posting on this board, since I'll probably get it anyways from turning wrenches and busting my kuckles for so long.

I am against posting crap on these boards. But this isn't a newbie looking for advice on what car he wants to get to start drifting!! This is someone who already drifts, and thought this would be a fun project. Mellow out before you go tearin kids heads off, they might be someone with more actual experience than you. You never know. Besides, you're a truck guy on 31's aren't you too busy running us over to drift?

And I didn't catch one reference to a hardbody as a hardtop, so relax on that sh!t too.

Peace.

Comment

CrusTE:
              Nobody said anything about building the car before drifting, and besides, any good builder knows that you do your homework before you start wrenching...

Good luck with that '91 Hardbody when your leaf springs finally break and you go hurdling out of control...

I wish it were possible to delete other people's posts.

-MR

Comment

Whats so *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*ing funny about a truck drifting.I have never even used my 4wd except to pull my boat up the wet boat ramp. I drift my truck in parking lots when it rains, because my 170,000 VG30E dosnt have enough torque to keep my factory size 31's spinning long enough to maintain a drift on dry pavement!!!. I only wish I wasnt so computer illiterate, so that i could post some of my vid's. Sorry if you stereotype everybody with a 4x4 as an import hater espescially since I USE mine to tow my drift and autox only, non street legal, RWD 81 corolla sedan to and from events! And yes i read this post from the very first one because i have and am the original DRIFT TRUCK. Did any of yall read the article about SLIDE SQUAD in superstreet like 3 years ago? And after reading that did you order the back issue from like 95 when they did their first article about drifting. Prolly not!!! I did! And thats when i tried it in my truck for the first time and became addicted to drifting. BTW I am an automotive machinist first and a mechanic second. I also work in a machine shop. So i give you respect on that level, and you have a pretty nice car! But dont go getting all high and mighty about swaping s14 front ends since its all bolt on. Dont get me wrong it looks much better but its not that hard. If i had a pic of my corolla i would post it but it dosnt look special so i havent spent the time. Its is the same as the car in my avitar just with a stock body. It has the same chassis as the AE86 but the body is different. So i have two drifters that nobody believed could do it but I have proven them all wrong!Many of them to their faces!

On another note. Are you the defender of this thread or did you change your screen name or what cus you didnt start this thread! And i dont think its your project from what i can tell either. And dont flame on me about "PAYING ATTENTION if im gonna talk sh!t" cus the second post on this thread refers to the truck as a hardtop! So it loks like you need to PAY ATTENTION! OH well its prolly just spellchecks fault anyway.

Let me know what you think.

Comment

Maybe you just shouldn't post on this thread again

-MR

Comment

http://force.chat-jp.com/movie2/dri_36.wmv

pimp, bed conversion i think, but i'm sure u can get a truck driftin with some cash

Comment

Guys the F-150 lightning pulls .86 g outta the factory and there are literally tons of aftermarket parts for 'em. The new lightnings should be able to drift right outta the box. As far as a drift truck I would say get an S-10 extreme regular cab flareside and throw in an ls6, buick gn v6, or a turbo ecotec. The S-10 is light, handles well and has plenty of accessories. You should be able to do a drift truck without a lot of custom fabrication (save for maybe a coilover setup), and also you should be able to drift with a live axle setup which will save money as well.

Comment

Drift Truck

A small import like the nissan hardbody KA24DET, or maybe the Mazda one with the 2 rotary engine in it.

Convert the Torsion bar, and Leafs to coil over adjustables, and drop the truck about 2 inches. Any lower than two, you'll want to get some fat fenders, if you do that, search for pre-runner fenders, they are wide as a mutha, and can support a bigger wheel and tire.

Wheels, get 1 size larger, unless of course, you go with the wider fenders, then only two, but make sure that the diameter is the same as the stock tires, this makes it so you dont have to deal with modifying the spedometer. Make sure the wheels have a positive offset, so that they dont hit the disks in the front, or the drums in the back. Upgrade the brakes to 4 wheel disk.

Sway bars all around. this makes the truck feel much more stable, and level in a turn.

And unfortunately, the truck will require some sort of down force on the rear of the truck. The bed is really light and does not hold the car down, You could be driving with 200 horsepower, and all you would do would be spinning the wheels in the back. Usually a through bed spoiler, will do the trick right, and its slightly hidden.

Those would be about the specs to run a truck as a drift car. The trucks frames are a lot more flexible so there may need to be some strengthening.

Power of course, but thats just my opinion to use the KA24DET engine in it. The mazda, i'd have to do some more research on the topic.

The dynamics of a truck, are a vee bit different than that of a car. but getting one to drift proporly is something i've been trying to do.

Sometimes no matter how much tweeking, it never feels perfect.

So keep working, and i wanna see some progress in a month.

GTAlmond

Comment

Out of the box:

GMC Syclone with manual S-10 RWD trans.

That's it - project done for under $15k.

-MR

Comment

not trying to start S(censored )T but GTalmound have you ever owed a truck all thats B.S. i have a 96Mazda B3000 wit 19s 8/10 drop, handles great and will drift wit the rest of them

Comment

Yeah, whatever dude...

Cruste,
                              Honestly I think you're a wanker truck-guy with something to prove.
                              Congrats on your "drift/auto-cross only, non street legal" RWD 81 Corolla Sedan sh!t box. Way to not give up on that dream of turning a POS into a "REAL" track car!!
                              Yes big deal on my front end swap, it is all bolt-on, and I did it in one night, whoopie do. In this day and age half of these kids can't even bolt on their intakes or change their own oil, so it is something that I'm proud of.
                              No I'm not the defender of this thread, and no didn't change my Username. This is the same one I used before this board went down, and the same one I used at Driftcentral.com, when I used to post there. I do defend against BS and A$$heads so if the shoe fits, you know where to stick it.
                              I'm done with you now, if you chose to respond go ahead, I'm not going to waste my time responding, so flame on.
                              I will say this, do a search on some of the threads I contribute to. If I'm not talking sh!t to Chas (who works for me), I'm trying to drop knowlege on these kids so they can learn about this sport without killing someone or wrecking their cars.
                              I have no problem with truck guys, I used to drive one, but find another thread to spout off on.

Mr. Anlet

That would be one way to go. But I think converting a Cyclone to 2WD would be GMC blasphemy in it's own right. I'd like to have one of those trucks to restore more than to mod. But yeah, 15K and you'd be done. Didn't those things pull more g's than a porsche when they came out?
                              Skriblz
                              That was off of a link from Meggala's site right? Good one, that driver was awesome.
                              Tsunami
                              Yeah a lightning would be great, lotta this $$$$$ though. But ohh so fun!!

Comment

I agree, Syclone was a blessing, too bad it had such a limited run.

The Syclone pulled something like .9g at the skidpad, which was more than a Porsche that was tested, and it also ran the quarter in the low 13's (hay have been low 12's, can't remember), which was faster than a Ferreri of the time.

And it was a truck - icing on the cake!

BTW - my name is Mike Ranlet -> MRanlet

-MR

Comment

Working...
                                X