how did everyone learn how to drift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how did everyone learn how to drift?

im just wonderin cuz i donno whats the best way to learn..im thinkin of goin to some tracks in japan somewhere and watch people...can everyone tell me how they learned?

he he he

in the process of learning in friends cars, but we use huge a$$ parking lots, of course they are empty.

Comment

go to your local book store and buy as many books as you can about suspension dynamics, car control, tires, and chassis tuning. Then go and do some autoX. Thats how I learned. Yeah the occasional big a$$ parking lot helps too. Its a long hard journey, but if you really want to learn, you should study first.

Comment

Whatever you do DON'T try sliding your parents FR volvo around a downhill turn your first time. Dam'n, I'm still paying for that one.

I'ts all parking lots for me until I can try some track drifting.
        Attached Files

Comment

parking lots parking lots parking lots, and talk to actual drifters (preferably with similar setups to your car), see what styles they use, don't go watch some option videos and think you can clutch kick a hairpin at 60mph just cuz you saw some guy do it in his super trick drift car

oh, and, you WILL crash, its unaviodable

Comment

You can read all you want (to prepare yourself) but the real learning comes with practice. Practice, practice ... and more practice ....

Comment

it's all about industrial parks and access roads at 2 in the morning for us....just be safe and go slow with the technique...don't get in over your head too fast. oh, and be prepared to wreck...it will happen (if you're serious about learning new schiznit)

Comment

how pissed do u guys get when you wreck..cuz i would be pissed...i wonder if there are any parking lots in virginia that are empty and not filled with po pos...well in japan..there ARE no empty parking lots xept in yokohama...man i wanna get my car...is there a scary feeling while taking your first slide...well yeah of course im a dumbass..man im gonna wreck so much cuz of no steering wheel control

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
                  You can read all you want (to prepare yourself) but the real learning comes with practice. Practice, practice ... and more practice ....
                  ooohhhh yeah. and lots of tires!

Originally posted by markeese180sx
                  how pissed do u guys get when you wreck..cuz i would be pissed...i wonder if there are any parking lots in virginia that are empty and not filled with po pos...well in japan..there ARE no empty parking lots xept in yokohama...man i wanna get my car...is there a scary feeling while taking your first slide...well yeah of course im a dumbass..man im gonna wreck so much cuz of no steering wheel control
                  idunno i've crashed quite a bit if times. im not phased too much. but if it was my only car... then i'd for sure be more upset

Comment

Originally posted by DoriftuEvo
                    Whatever you do DON'T try sliding your parents FR volvo around a downhill turn your first time. Dam'n, I'm still paying for that one.

I'ts all parking lots for me until I can try some track drifting.
                    DOH!

But Volvos can actually be good drift cars. Have a look at this Volvo 142.

http://www.rallysson.net/filmer/142long.mpg

I am from Sweden and Volvo is (was) a Swedish car manufaturer so here there are alot of them. I might buy a 142, 240 turbo or 740 turbo to drift with.

Here is a picture of a nice Volvo 242 Turbo:

http://www.be-4-you.com/Sitefiles/Pi...er/1%20(4).JPG

Comment

i grew up in japan on a navy base (i'm not japanese) had friends that drifted and would go out to nambu(the street they drifted on in yokohama which is now not driftable since the police put up barriers in the median...)

now that i live in tampa all its all about the industrial parks at 2 in the mourning like johnny said...i also talked to a lot of people about their set ups and questions i had when i was gettin my drifts the way i thought they should be

Comment

After wreck...

This is total noob question, but after you wreck drifting, what do you do? assuming you have smashed at least a fender and bumper, probably more, do you tell your insurance company? Get it towed out and try to keep it on the DL? Do the whole deer in the road BS? I could never afford to pay for damage like that right now without insurance $ after all I have put into my car.

Comment

Well you can report that you got in an accident but technically that would be insurance fraud. I've always said you should not be attached to the car you drift. If you cant stand the idea of swapping the motor/tranny/etc into another shell because you accidentally bent the frame really bad, then you might want to think twice about using that car. Of course you care about it, but you cant treat it like you treat a show car. Forget about keeping it perfect unless you're rich, sponsored, or good at drifting. When stuff breaks, fixing it depends on how much cash you have. Some guys will leave body panel damage, others wont. Some guys will just zip tie (duct tape) stuff backtogether and thats that. Of course if the drivetrain breaks you have to fix it to keep drifting. My drift car is a project car because the project never ends.
                          Last edited by CrazyHawaiian; 08-02-2003, 04:56 AM.

Comment

oh yeah and another newbie question...negative cambers on both front and rear or just front? and how much?

Comment

Originally posted by markeese180sx
                              oh yeah and another newbie question...negative cambers on both front and rear or just front? and how much?
                              More up front. How much you should have depends on what tires you are using. Different tires need diffeerent amount of camber.

You can use a "skidpad" to see if your have correct camber settings.
                              Drive as fast as you can in a circle a few laps so that the tires heat up, then you meassur the temperature of the tire on the inside of the tire and on the outside. If the temperatures are even then you have the correct camber settings for that particular radius of a turn. If the outside temperature is higher then you need more camber. If the inside temperature is higher you have to much camber.

Of course this only gives the correct camber for a turn that has the same radius as the skidpad you have used. The same messuring teqnuice can be used at a track olsow.

Remember that all tracks have different optimal camber settings...

Comment

Working...
                              X