Toyota Soarer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota Soarer

Anyone know how much the Toyota Soarer weighs? I hear everyone say its heavy...how much does it weigh? The guy that drifts the Soarer I think said that the biggest weight gain was made in the doors and hood carbon fibered. This, this car is muh dream ride! V8 Motor...256 HP...5spd option hopefully, do you guys think Lexus or Toyota makes a compatable 5spd transmission to mate to that engine if I can only get an automatic one? Its got 4 cams, I thought that was pretty impressive, what does having 4 camshafts do to help the car? THANKS GUYS!!! :]

having four cams isn't a big whoop, its just dual overhead cams on both sides of the V. Each side of the V is like a seperate inline four, so think of it like both inline fours have DOHC.

Comment

prob with soarer is its weight...just like in the mag you read, you gotto do alot to lose weight, and thats undoubtedly means spending alot of money for something, that does look good, but unfortunately is not very practical.

Comment

To check the weight check out the Kelly Blue Book website (www.kbb.org). Just because a car is heavy dosnt mean its not a good drift car. A lighter car is definately preferable, but a heavy car (3000+ pounds) can be a good drift car if you set it up right. As for the motor and 5 speed issue, I think the answer is a motorswap. Dont think the V8 ever came with a stick. The 1UZFE is definately a nice V8 (you should be more exited about the torque than the horsepower), but its not commonly raced. Because of this its hard to find performance parts. The common swap is the non VVTi 2JZ-GTE (Supra Motor) with the 5 speed tranny.

Comment

The 5spd was a factory option on the V8 I belive. Or was that on the V6 twin turbo...? They made a V6 Twin Turbo in Japan for the SC400, wonder if thats the 5spd I was thinking about.... The kelly blue book page is not workin. When I recive the car I dont belive a motor swap willl be te answer. Maybe a tranny swap to the 5spd if toyota makes a SC400 compatable 5spd. The motor though I would like to keep the V8, cause you know its got that throaty sound that every V8 has if you open up the exaust ;D Dont think this is just a flick cause I saw it in that damn magazine adam. In fact you just stated what we already knew, thanks Hawaiian your post was sincere and strait forward, in return, a sincear thanks. In turn, the cars heavy, up the power ratio to make it just a good a drifter as any other.

Comment

ask boro240
            Last edited by CrazyHawaiian; 08-05-2003, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Soarer had 3 engine options (no TT in the US).
              -1JZ-GTE (2.5L Twin Turbo I6)
              -2JZ-GE (3.0L N/A I6)
              -1UZ-FE (4.0L N/A V8)

i LOVE missinformation...

Comment

couldn't have said it better boro

Comment

Originally posted by boro240
                  Soarer had 3 engine options (no TT in the US).
                  -1JZ-GTE (2.5L Twin Turbo I6)
                  -2JZ-GE (3.0L N/A I6)
                  -1UZ-FE (4.0L N/A V8)

i LOVE missinformation...
                  YES. and the usdm version was only optioned w/ the 2JZ-GE and the 1UZ-FE.

but can you imagine how easy (relativly) and phat it would be to swap in a mk4 supra 2JZ-GTE. nice!

http://www.powerhouseracing.com/sc300_turbo.shtml

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

i like those cars too. and i do believe that if you set it up right it will be easier to drift. but to do higher speed drifts you'd want more grippy tires... and that is cash. hehe.

isnt the 2JZ-GTE a direct drop in?

oh yeah arent all the sc400's auto and the sc300's come in both.

Comment

Originally posted by marshun

Q1) isnt the 2JZ-GTE a direct drop in?

Q2) oh yeah arent all the sc400's auto and the sc300's come in both.

A1) kinda sorta....i mean you need to redo the ecu and electronics and if you're putting in the 6 speed tranny then you need all the stuff to go with that also and install it (more cutting and fabbing). also i'd imagine you'd have to reroute some lines and figure out creative ways to make things fit just perfet...but essentially yeah. it's the same motor just w/ a couple of turbos hanging of the side of it...you just gotta' make it all fit back in there.

A2) some of them came in manual tranny form from what others have told me. but they are kinda' rare as this was more of a luxury car and rich old men and women were the ones buying it originally....but yeah, that did make some in the US w/ MT and i think they were more common in the SC300. also, they were the 5 speed (like the N/A mk4 supra) not the 6 speed.

*note: there are 17 M/T SC300's on autotrader.com and 2 M/T SC400's on autotrader.com right now*

1998 SC400 M/T:
                        http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...r=&cardist=537

1995 SC300 M/T:
                        http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...r=&cardist=512

Comment

Sorry Guys but the SC400 NEVER was produced with a manual transmission. The 5-sp manual was only available on the SC300 and the 2.5TT. Toyota didn't make any trans compatible with the 4.0 engine.
                          The only thing I can think of is checking to see if the Tundra was released with a manual. If so, it may be possible to customize to mate up to the SC400's 4.0.

Comment

only one out of about 75 sc300's came with 5 speed.

I have one and love the car. Its basicly a NA supra MKIV, all the chassy parts are the same. Its like getting a SR5 rather then getting the GTS, but its still pimp.
                            BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

I believe the 4.3L GS430, or 4.7L Tundra V8's will fit in your car, though I do not know if there are parts available to do such a swap. I do know that there are aftermarket parts for the Tundra V8, such as blowers and exhaust systems, so you can make an easy 350hp from the motor, and will have boatloads of torque, something you'll want in a heavy car. As far as transmissions go, again I'm no expert, but Rod Millen was able to adapt a Supra 6-speed to a 4.3L V8 when he swapped it into an IS300. And from what they said on Rides, the V8 is only a few lbs heavier than the Supra's 2jz (Inline 6, twin turbo, 3.0L).

Don't get me wrong the 2jz swap is a great way to go, but if you love V8's like I do then you should try to make it work. Then you'll have something you like better, and something makes the sweetest sound on earth. But if there aren't any parts for the V8 swaps then the 2jz is THE way to go.

The MOST difficult thing you will encounter when you try to drift a heavy car is weight. You'll have to battle momentum. The car will understeer in the corner and when you try to power-over the car the rearend will come around FAST. To drift these big, heavy cars you have to use the brakes to get the weight on the front then use a feint technique (rocking the car) to get it to slide. It will be very difficult, I've been practicing a year or 2 with my 3500lb V8 Thunderbird LX, and have only been successful on a couple of occasions. It takes tons of practice to drift a light little 240 or 86, let alone nearly 2 tons of car.

And don't let Ueno's D1 Soarer (Japanese name for the SC) or Rhys's GTO fool you. Even though these 2 cars are very heavy they both have had several hundred pounds of weight removed from them to make them competitive.

But I'd love to see a V8 powered SC400 out there. It's sound great and look good. And don't let anybody tell you you can't drift a V8--YOU CAN.

Comment

Working...
                              X