What is a LSD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a LSD?

i know im new but i would like to know what u guys/girls r talking about when u say,ya im getting a new LSD.And also i saw it when i was looking at engine swaps,the company said that they the engine didnt come with and LSD.would be a great help to find out what it is.
    thanx

LSD = Limited Slip Differential

www.google.com

Comment

well LSD(limited slip diff) makes the rear gears in the pumpkin lock putting power to both rear wheels(in the case of a rear wheel drive car) instead of only one... it helps alot to get the tail out and control the car alot more

Comment

If you really want to drift, LSD is what you should get before that engine swap.

Comment

Re: What is a LSD?

Originally posted by new_to_drift
          i know im new but i would like to know what u guys/girls r talking about when u say,ya im getting a new LSD.And also i saw it when i was looking at engine swaps,the company said that they the engine didnt come with and LSD.would be a great help to find out what it is.
          thanx
          An LSD isn't part of the engine. If you look under any car...well mostly import cars, I think alot of american cars have a live axle. Anywho...look at the two rear wheels under the car, the bar that attaches them are the axles and the thing in the middle is the punkin. Inside the punkin is where an LSD would be or installed into.

An LSD is basically some thing that locks up both or your wheels and makes them work with the same amount of power. An open diff...makes it that an outside tire of a turn would be be spining more the the inside tire.

I'm sure there is an easier way to explain it, but I don't know how.

Anyways sounds like you need to do some more research before getting a swap. They're plenty of sites you can look up to research this and books on the basics of a car. I suggest you research before you do anything.

Comment

also look it up on www.howstuffworks.com

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but how is this for a short explination. When one wheel slips the LSD transers the power to the one that is gripping.

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter-ex
                Correct me if I'm wrong but how is this for a short explination. When one wheel slips the LSD transers the power to the one that is gripping.
                that's correct. it's located under the frame of your car. LSD is also a drug. and DSL spelled backwards

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter-ex
                  you mean it transfers power to the one that's slipping .Something I've noticed,clutch LSD's seem to be the choice for drifting,just an observation.

Comment

LSD is fun, if your in a closet andhave a phone with glowing numbers...

Comment

I believe that would be lysergenic acid diathylamide, not limited-slip differential.

Comment

So in the case of grip driving, theororitically, wouldn't the open diff. be a better choice since it allows the outside wheel to spin at a higher velocity thus allowing you car to initiate a shaper line and be able to exit past the apex at a quicker pace (not always speed...)?If power is equally distributed, during a turn the inside wheel would want to turn slower than the outside wheel since the inside wheel has a less distance to travel in the same time than the outside wheel (like 2 different spots on a record), correct? If this is true would the open diff. be a more suitable choice since it allows the two wheels to travel at different speeds and allowing teh car to turn in a shorter distance?

Also for autocrossing and track racing wouldn't this contemplation be just also?

Comment

Also, wouldn't a cheap way to achieve equal power distribution be to weld the spider gears togather?

Comment

well to make the car more predictable you would want an even amount of power to the wheels so that you could rotate the car in a predictable manner. kinda like when youre drifting slowly in a car with no lsd. sometimes both wheels spin and its easy. but most of the time one wheel spints and it sucks. cause you just grip.

also as you exit the corner you want to be more on the gas. but if you just have that one wheels slipping and the other wheel not spinning, its crap. the lsd will give you a more evenly distributed power to both of your wheels.

as for the welding, its not a good idea for any sort of track racing because the car acts "itchy" when you turn in. and thats something you definitely dont want. it becomes a bit unpredictable.

Comment

acts itchy?

Comment

Working...
                              X