No announcement yet.

Supra drifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size tires do you think there running on the S13's? Smalles set of rims i've seen on Koguichi's car was a 17x9. With what I believe was a 245 falken on it. Theres alot of ways to setup a car, but people haggle over the smaller issues instead of the biggest issue which is skill. Buy a RWD car and drive it, Biggest part about getting better is practice.

Statik

Comment

Drifting supra?!?! lol, Sure I drift my supra. But trust me these cars are a pain to find parts for, why because there really rare nowadays. shoot i know. Last month I drifted my supra into a concrete post, damaged a fender and nicked the door. but most of the damage was to the rear sub frame. alot of cash!!! im glad california is one of the most popular supra state. I save money buying salvaged parts and doing repairs on my own time.

but as for handleing it sucks major booty. Im finding my self pulling just about everything out. and about 5 gallons of fuel.
      well since signal auto is near my area. i should pay them a vist and have them show me what i need done. I drifts fine trough short turns, but huge turns I have problems completeing.

94' celica's came front wheel drive. japan had the gt-4 4wd

Comment

Originally posted by Statik
        You guys watch Chasers, Soarers, and 4 door Skylines drift in Professional compeitition in every option episode you see. You you guys put a heavy emphasis on weight. In most cases if you use a big car as long as you match the power to weight ratio with the smaller cars you'll be fine. On really tight courses the bigger cars are a little harder to handle, but if you get good enough for that to hinder you you'll probably learn how to drive the car on a tight course.

Statik
        1st: i realize all that. what i'm saying is that you need more skill to drift a heavier car (which the starter of this thread sounds like they may be lacking as they may be a newbie...i'm just making an assumption here). anyways, you can still learn in a supra if it's your first drifter, i just think that it would be easier in a lighter car at first. if you have mad skills you can drift anything though.

2nd: i think the supra could get to be a very expensive drifter esp. the mk4 just b/c of the price of parts (new and used). 240sx, FC, and usually corollas can be had cheap as so can their parts....sure can you invest a ton of money into a 240 or FC? sure, there's pleanty of expensive parts for them as well, but you can still find a lot of reasonable parts for them as well. i think it's hard to find cheap body panels, suspension, and engine parts for the supra (esp the mk4 turbo).

anyway, that's all i was saying...sure you can drift a supra, yes you can learn on it for your first drifter even....but in my opinion i think there are more cost effective cars at first.

Comment

Not really the local pick your part is littered with MKIII chassis just as it is FC's. It's actually harder to find S13 body panels then MKIII panels IMHO. The MKIV is better compared with the FD and at no point was i reffering to that car. It's actually easier to drift the Supra then most of the other named cars. The car in turbo form already has a good amount of power which gives you more options in technique out of the box. You'll never see someone buy a stock 240, NA FC, or Rolla and start doing power overs it would be nice but the car just isnt going to do it. The only car that puts out similar power for a similar price in stock form is the Turbo FC, The 7M motors had there headgasket issues but thats a walk in the park compared to some of the crap TII owners deal with. Also check the autotrader and see how many Turbo MA70's you find compared to Tubo FC's you'll see the FC is falling on the rather rare side. Now back to ease of drift, We've already declared that the power of the Supra out the box beats all of our other choices and the ideal chassis is much easier to find then a Turbo FC. Now lets add the factor of the cars length which is something really important when learning to drift. The longer feel of the chassis makes the car easier to hangout as you can feel the car slide out better. In a short base chassis like a NA/NB the car pivots really quick needing much more attention to how fast the car is pivoting and quicky you can counter steer. Best way to think about it is to take the shortest pencil you can find and the longest pencil. Then put them on a dusty table, hold the tip of both pencils and turn them 90 degrees as so the eraser of them drags on the table. When you move the pencils you's have a 90 degree arc in the dust. Although the degree of the arc is the same, the distance will be different. The distance from the long pencil would be all the more room you get to play with if you had a longer wheel base car. The idea of whether drifting long base cars looks more dynamic is arguable as its a opinion but i personally think it does. Seeing a 4 door sedan go from complete counter lock in one direction to complete counter lock in the other direction looks alot more dramatic then watching a S platform do it.

Statik
          Last edited by Statik; 07-22-2003, 09:30 AM.

Comment

yea.MKIV and supras altogether take some moola which i dont have cause im almost 15 and in mississippi there isnt to many car shops so i'll have to order everything by internet which will cost way to much.

Comment

Originally posted by nuclear_turtle
              yea.MKIV and supras altogether take some moola which i dont have cause im almost 15 and in mississippi there isnt to many car shops so i'll have to order everything by internet which will cost way to much.
              I fail to see your point. Your lucky being 14yrs old if you pick a chassis and start reading up on it and learn all you can by the time you buy the car you'll have the hardest part of tunning out the way, You'll know what to do and what not to do. Also if theres not many car shops in Mississippi why would it matter which chassis you buy. Any shop that will order parts for a 240 will order parts for any import. Unless your problem is there are no import shops in your area in which your SOL no matter what you buy unless its domestic.

Statik

Comment

statik...so you're saying it's easier and cheaper to learn to drift the mk3 supra than a 240, FC, or 'rolla?

i guess i can go there with that, but not with the idea of doing it with a mk4 like the picture in the original post (which is what i thought the post was originally about).

also i didn't realize the mk3 parts were so easy to find...to me, the 240sx seems more abundant in my area (although all of them are horribly beat down in a bad way). it could just be a regional thing here though.

oh, and statik....you're right about the na/nb cars...LOL...they do require a lot of attention as i found out last night.

later

Comment

Boonies

I live in an extremly small town and there are no preformence shops, no place to buy stuff for your cars,. like a said before we dont even have ricers here. Im not suggesting learning off a MKIII supra cause I know i wont be good at drifting at first(proboly neva will) there is no nothin for cars here. there is no street racing here. Its just mustangs. mustangs everywhere, it sickning how many there are. 240 seem nice but there is only one in my town.(yea its that small that i know what everyone drives) All be have is an autozone. sucks to be me dont it?

Comment

Re: Boonies

Originally posted by nuclear_turtle
                    I live in an extremly small town and there are no preformence shops, no place to buy stuff for your cars,. like a said before we dont even have ricers here. Im not suggesting learning off a MKIII supra cause I know i wont be good at drifting at first(proboly neva will) there is no nothin for cars here. there is no street racing here. Its just mustangs. mustangs everywhere, it sickning how many there are. 240 seem nice but there is only one in my town.(yea its that small that i know what everyone drives) All be have is an autozone. sucks to be me dont it?
                    well the bad news is you don't have any imports in your town...but not to worry drifting is still a blank sheet in america so you can do what you wish and cultivate the sport in a way you like.

the good news is that your town is full of one of the best "domestic drifters" IMO. i've owened 2 or 3 'stangs and if you can ever figure out how to get the suspension sorted out and settled down, they'd make a great drifter. plus parts are everywhere and any redneck can work on them. so i say go for that if there is nothing else. turn you town into domestic drifter central.

Comment

i think that the supra isnt verypopular because it is expensive, well more expensive. plus wouldent you think that it might be a litle heave in the front, like some understeer, or front brake lock up's, but thats just my thoughts. This brought another thought to my head(its very lonly in there) is nissan the "leader" in drift cars? i hear of other cars drifting like the rx-7's and other fr and 4wd cars, but is nissan completly taking over, or not, i mean i have no idea thats why i asked oh well, youll answer or not thats okay noone ever pays attention to me, you probably arent even reading this are you, huh? well are you so you just passed theis post on because it looked too long, well then i wont read any of your posts, so there.

Comment

I own an 88mkiii supra so I know first hand some things about em. I have not been experimenting with drifting long cause I owned a 93 civic before this I did however pick up some ebrake sliding skills from it.
                        Lets really look at it guys, its the truth nissian silvia/240 and toyota corolla 85-86's. Thats the cars to drift with, low budget, good even weight distribution the japs. started it all and thats what they use more often than any.
                        As for the supra's my mk3 was supposed to pull almost 1g on the skidpad in stock form with the t.e.m.s sus. system. The car suspose to have good even weight distribution under that heavy *Censored**Censored**Censored* skin. I choose the mk3 chassis cause I got a really great deal on mine so I forgot about the underpowered stock 240 I was looking at.
                        I have managed to drift my mk3 supra pretty good a few times with a stock sus. and bad shocks. I am now looking to upgrade my suspension cause drifting really is a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* with stock parts.
                        The secret is....

Find a rwd car with some decent power, run some major positive camber on the front wheels with some slight toe out. Some good stiff suspension, springs/coilovers and some high rebound shocks.
                        AND BYGOLLIE YOU HAVE GOT YOURSELF A DRIFTER.

How did I learn this? I read! That's something we are all guilty of..

Comment

ACTUAL FACT: i was talking to my friend who is from jasper proformance, the supra that they used for drifting is a special chassis built specially designed for racing and it was made by TOYOTA the car weighs about 2700 lbs. and believe me, that car is VERY agile and gets good angles. NO ordinary supra can do that. just thought i put in my two cents.... oh yea and the supra is also a 250k drifting car.

Comment

Poo to these people who bag on the supra for its weight, obviously havent looked much more into it.

THe supra is front heavy agreed; so for LOW SPEED corners the cars understeering side WILL show up. But beyond that, the car can handle nearly 1 g on the skid pad so it handles quite nicely.

On another side note the car has a long wheelbase, tight turns (once again a low speed thing) will be large, but for drifting this is perfect. Larger wheel bases whiel drifting allow you to get much better angles with MUCH more stability. Its transitions will lag but they will be smooth on the other hand, a very good thing for drifting.

So why dont you see them more often? Well theres a few REAL reasons most which have already been stated.

One is the price, theyre not that new but theyre still damn expensive, especialy in good condition. drifting does a lot of damage to a car and what you break your going to feel in your wallet big time.

As people mentioned replacing whats broken isnt exactly easy either, parts are hard to come by for this car and usually get snagged up pretty fast if its something valuable.

3; many peopel just have a bad mentality towards this car and what it can do. Kind of like what most people who hate the slow and the curious think abou the civics and FF in general. Uh oh itsh eavy! it must suck! It cant handle for poo, understeer! (this came up many times in this thread alone) When in actuality this car can outhandle MUCH of its competition, with the power to back it up.

Say this car is "only for wangan" or only a straight line beast, and you obviously know little about this car beyond base line specs (Horsepower, Weight, Weight distribution)

Id be more then happy to introduce you to some people who HAVE mk4 supras and can tell you first hand what theyre capable of.

Comment

Originally posted by nasty nate 7
                              ACTUAL FACT: i was talking to my friend who is from jasper proformance, the supra that they used for drifting is a special chassis built specially designed for racing and it was made by TOYOTA the car weighs about 2700 lbs. and believe me, that car is VERY agile and gets good angles. NO ordinary supra can do that. just thought i put in my two cents.... oh yea and the supra is also a 250k drifting car.
                              Whoops. Jasper Performance got that car from Rhys Millen. He drifted it before them.

I've got the TRD bars and some other suspension mods on my Supra, and it get's the tail out better than any 240SX that I've ever seen. Supra not a drift car, my @ss. Looks better, too.

Oh, and whoever posted that first picture of the Top Secret gold Supra, you know that's powered by a 3S-GTE inline-4 cylinder?

Comment

Guys, guys, guys... The Mk. IV would be a better choice if it's chassis wouldn't be that flexible. I mean, the car's not stiff, and should be modified with a lot of things that can make it rigid - the rollcage, numerous bars, and - of course - welding could make it run good. Plus, it's quite a costly car to work on, so many people choose cheaper sliding platforms.

EDIT: Sideways Spanky, the car also has a T88 turbo and a flat-mounted intercooler
                                Last edited by Darkstar; 10-31-2004, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X