Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No open pits? that sucks.

Comment

I attended the event as media and my impression was that it was very disorganized. (more so than usual) The event really dragged on and there were a lot of unnecessary delays imo. I think the drift box really drew things out. I was there to cover practice before the actual event and the pacing was really good then we get to public qualifying and there is a 1-2 min delay between runs.. yikes.

I don't think they had enough corner workers either. There were 4 corner workers at the first turn and that's really it. They really needed to have a barricade in the center and have some corner workers for the rest of the track. At one point in the tandem there were some debris on the track that went unnoticed until a photographer jumped the barricade and grabbed it (he was later kicked out btw)

My biggest complaint though was probably the lack of cooperation with the media. Those holes in the fence weren't adequate and despite Mike's effort to cut open up more holes there still weren't enough. They really needed an area in the center of the track where the D1 guys were standing. I'm assuming the D1 guys didn't want us getting in their way which is unfortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by ReDc0aT View Post
        you say it like they really didn't bother to show up. You do realize it is a big investment for just one driver to ship a car and himself back and forth from Japan. If you want to see the D1GP series, go to japan.

And I said Cali Surfer Douche.
        The reason I broght that up is you're acting as if there is no warranted negativity. Trust me when I say, if you were there, you'd understand what we're saying. I understand it's expensive to ship cars and all, but there was a serious lack of pros there. They only even had 31 drivers in the 32 person qualifying.

As for my gripe with the Cali Surfer comment. I get irritated when someone has a stoner uneducated style of speach, he's automatically a California Surfer type. I get real sick of that nomenclature and I get a little bitchy when people go right to it.

The event was still really fun, there was just a lot wrong with it.

Comment

My brother had a lot of trouble paying for food. First of all, there were few food vendors. When my brother realized that the prices were more expensive than he thought, he had to go to atm to get money, and the atm was outside of the event area. Then he got hasseled by security about not having a particular wristband, and that only people with a particular wristband could exit. Security told him that he could only exit if he was leaving for the day, even though he had a wristband and hand stamp.
          $5 sodas sucked
          Drift box sucked. How can Nomuken not be in top 16? And in the U.S.?
          Pits were closed, but that is probably better for drivers. Not fun from a fan's viewpoint.
          There was some debris on the course, and after the bleachers were yelling at camera people to clean it off, a fan ended up running onto the track to clean off the debris, and was ejected for doing a job that the track personnel should have taken care of.
          The events were off schedule, but seems to be a staple in many drift events.

That's all I can think of for now. Not a positive experience. I brought 2 girls, and my brother, and all of us agreed that it was not a very organized event.

Comment

D1 is taking a serious Pacquiao beatdown on every forum I've been on. People are complaining about everything and anything.

I admit, I got caught up in all the HYPE, too. D1 set themselves up for their own fall with the use of all their SUPERLATIVES (the best drivers, the biggest track, the largest tv deal, the fastest cars, etc.) in the promotion of this event.

I invited 2 friends from my old stomping grounds in the 510 area code Berkeley, Ca. Hence, the screen name "oldskool510" They are big into motorsports, but have never been to a drifting event.

The very first post on this topic by "oldskool510" was posted by 1 of my buddies. I told him to briefly describe his experience and this is what he wrote.
            Originally posted by OldSkool510 View Post
            Awesome event. Awesome drifting.
            Keep this in mind, this statement is from someone who has never been to a drifting event. He didn't get caught in all the hype and had no expectations whatsoever.

Everything has already been said many times over already. No need for me to repeat what has already been said. No need for me to repeat what has already been said. No need for me to repeat what has already been said. Get the picture. haha

This is where my main concern with the future of drifting is. We all are into drifting and follow closely all the news and announcements. Therefore, we all have certain expectations for each event that we attend. In essence, for those informed like us, we were all disappointed with the outcome of the event. According to my friend, he enjoyed every minute of the show. From a new fan’s standpoint, he was very entertained because so much stuff was going on, on and off the track.

This is where D1 and FD need to find the balance in entertaining both die-hard fans and newcomers. I want drifting to succeed as a serious motorsport, but it will not happen if a balance is not found.

FD is trying to take the motorsport of drifting to another level and is focused only on the drifting aspect, which is great for us die-hard fans. This approach is respectable, but will not be viable enough to boost itself to the next level. There is not a large enough die-hard fan base to support its growth. FD needs to create a “whole event” approach to maintain die-hards and attract potential fans. This exposure is what will eventually lead to more sponsors to jump on the drifting bandwagon.

D1 is done in the US. Most people associated D1 with awesome, bad *Censored**Censored**Censored*, reckless drivers from Japan. Holding a D1 event in which only 6 Japanese D1 drivers competing is a total joke.

The new D1 management should just change their name already and exclude “D1” from its new name. I honestly think this format could be successful here in the states with the format and all the content they had. It should just be called “Hot Import Days featuring drifters from Japan.” In all honesty, that’s what it was....

Comment

Major props to Forrest Wang and Ross Petty. These guys gave the J drivers all they could handle.

Atlanta better be ready for Ross Petty this weekend. This guy is drifting his *Censored**Censored**Censored* off right now. Stay in the zone Ross.

Comment

similar deal with blaze1, industry will call line was waayyyy too slow, and it was rather difficult to locate the media will call.

yes it was a car show. this was a partnership with EXTREME AUTOFEST...of course if was going to be a car show! Not to mention that the people running this were with HIN.

Vendor area alongside the car show was huuge! Vendors were spread out everywhere. I was surprised to see alot of vendors, but im anxious to see how their other events will be like, since most of the vendors were from socal, and will not travel with D1 for the season.

Course layout sucked. Shouldve stuck to the original plan. not high speed at all. as much area that d1 rented out for this event, they shouldve did a longer, and more interesting course.

security sucked. couple of the secuirty staff were idiots. I had all access, but didnt need it as i walked around freely and was able to go to VIP access area without anyone stopping me. word to FD/D1/HIN/and all other events...dont use that company. If you do, make sure that they are educated, and somewhat happy to have a job.

Driftbox.. the general concensus from the DRIVERS is that the drift box sucks. Even the rocker kids in the stands had a sign saying the same thing. If the driftbox had something to do with Nomuken not getting in to the event, you guys must realize that there is an issue.

Pit row. I know, this is a d1 thing. but previously, they opened the pit area for at least a little bit for the fans to at least get a glimpse or a pic with their favorite drivers. The J drivers were separated from the US drivers, but I did not see a reason at all to not let the fans come into the pits to get their moneys worth. FD has done this, and have had no issues. If you dont want them directly inside your pit or around the car, fence it off. Falken does it, but still, the drivers will come up to the fence to sign autographs, take pics, etc.

Speaking of Falken, I know that they were doing some testing on their cars that day, so why judge them for not going to the event? Why would Falken invest in this event, being so close to their Main series (the following week)? And if youre going to blame Falken for not showing up..why dont you blame the other FD drivers that werent there either? (DA, RMR, AEM, MOPAR, etc etc). Definite props goes to Ross and the other FD drivers that actually were ABLE to show up.

Food and drink Vendors. 4 food vendors. Cmon. lines were outrageous. I fortunately found some friends that kicked me down with free drinks, and found out via here that sodas were 5 bucks. Outrageous.

The gumball roll-through was pretty cool. Got to see alot of cars that i will never own in my lifetime.

Announcer sucked. Sorry. Not to mention that from where i was standing, i could hear the rest of the conversations that were going on up there..via the speakers.

Being from so cal, most of us that went to this event are "spoiled" by the fact that we have at least 2 major drifting events a year. Im sure that the future events that d1 does at the other locations will have better feedback from those local fans who dont get to see as much drifting as we do. I just hope that they learned their lessons from this event and make the necessary changes to make it better.

Comment

I'm sure what im about to state has been stated by others but definitely worse d1 event i have ever attended. These are my reasons for Irwindale being much better....

1. The sale of alcohol at Irwindale for those who choose to drink, if they sold any at anaheim it might of ended in a ruckus from how horrible the event was for sure though.

2. Being able to go in and out as you please to be able to get a bite to eat somewhere worth the price and not pay 6 bucks for a lil hot dog and a small bag of chips. I had to BS the guy at the gate that i had to use the ATM just to grab some panda express across the street.

3. No access to pit area to be able to shake drivers hands and check out their rides.

4. Driftbox sucks, it cannot calculate how some drivers lose out on angle, but yet stick the nose of the car and in some instances get side by side with the other driver. I believe the point of all this is to slide and have as much angle as you possibly can while trying to sneak the nose in or pass the driver in front.

5. The announcer sounded like he was completely clueless and didn't know anything about drifting in any possible aspect and his attempts to get the crowd into the even failed miserably. We need toshi back!!!!

6. The layout of the track was boring, at the least irwindale has the bank.

7. The seating, i had access to the bleachers but what's this BS with the people who pay to just stand.... this wasn't a concert there should have been many more bleachers the only thing i can say that is a positive is that at anaheim we were much closer to the action, Irwindale hasn't allowed people to sit that close since the first event there when people has bits of tire all over their faces.

8. Not enough vendors with goodies, all i bought was a Mine's shirt... Not much else was good... By the way i didn't mind the car show with all the show cars with big rims and what not, its not my thing but hey im sure some of those cars turned some1s head. And it has nothing to do with me having two friends from swift car club having their rides there...hahaha

Comment

This event should be an episode on "Pros vs. Joes." lol The were just too many Joes in the event.

Comment

Also what was up with making kumakubo battle it out with that american driver 3 times when it wasnt even close and yet the final round being much more close was settled after only one run. Those guys were deperately trying to have an american driver in the final and when they failed miserably they didnt give us a more exciting final round... they should have had at least one more run in the final...Scumbagged by the judges!!!!

Comment

I thought the opposite. I thought they wanted to have an all Japanese battle.

If the drift box accounted for 75% of the score, and the judges only 25%, why the heck did it take so long to come up with scores? hmmmmmmm

Comment

Can anyone from D1 please respond?
                          I'm a big D1 fan and supporter and just like the rest of the people here who have voiced their complaints at least would like to know how things could get better in the future. I skipped FD Long Beach to show support for D1 (wish to have gone to both if we're not in a recession).

Also, please explain the $5 soda sold by those wanna be models. That was a complete rip off!!

Comment

Originally posted by MissShiftS13 View Post
                            Also what was up with making kumakubo battle it out with that american driver 3 times when it wasnt even close and yet the final round being much more close was settled after only one run. Those guys were deperately trying to have an american driver in the final and when they failed miserably they didnt give us a more exciting final round... they should have had at least one more run in the final...Scumbagged by the judges!!!!
                            You're not serious are you???

Comment

I just thought that they tried really hard to eliminate kumakubo when he was dominating all the american competition and they made him battle it out 3 times with a guy who kumakubo was just short of surpassing every run.

I thought the opposite. I thought they wanted to have an all Japanese battle.

If the drift box accounted for 75% of the score, and the judges only 25%, why the heck did it take so long to come up with scores? hmmmmmmm

Comment

This event should be an episode on "Pros vs. Joes." lol The were just too many Joes in the event.
                                best description yet!

Comment

Working...
                                X