V4, V6, or V8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V4, V6, or V8?

i've been thinking for a while on what kind of car i finally want to try to save up for. i just don't know what kind of engine i would need. a V8 would have the power, but you don't need to go fast to drift. V6 has the power, but it's a f*ckin V6. a V4 a.k.a. "The Deadly 4-Banger" is ideal, but it's a small engine. i would even do all the work of swapping an engine if i got a car with a crappy engine myself! i'm kinda leaning towards a silvia, if i can find one! my main worry is finding a car that is good on gas. it's nice to have an amped up car that you can drift, but if you ain't got the snaps for gas, it's a lost cause. even if you regulate the fuel for everyday driving and track driving, it will still have a fuel rating. the option of upgrading the gas tank is about the only thing i can think of to have more gas, but you will just be burning all that extra gas you have with the same fuel rating. then again, you could just get a hemi charger and worry about the parking brake being on the floor(let alone worrying about that crappy triptronics system!). even if you mod one of them, you could have just brought a different car. V4 and some V6 engines are good on gas. V8 engines are crap on gas!, they just go vroooom and go kaput on gas after 20 minutes. i plan on making a drift car out of an everyday driver, plainly because i wouldn't be able to afford to keep up with two cars until i'm collecting social security or married to a beautiful women that loves to make babies, so what would be the ideal engine and car to save gas with?

your posts are super long and all over the place

as far as the motor goes.. it depends on the car

pick a car, then pick a motor

anything works so long as you practice and it's rwd

less typing, more driving

Comment

i just have alot to say money. that really doesn't help me though. i know that there is some other engine besides a s13 that is good on gas and able to be regulated to economize fuel burn. i didn't get fuels in school, but i know gas is what makes a car go. wit my budget, i'm tryin to save as much gas as i can.
      Last edited by ; 01-02-2008, 04:41 AM.

Comment

V4?
        H4 maybe, but V4?

Kidding, but I agree with frosty's comment. Maybe reign in your thoughts a bit, make it easier on us to read.

Here's a tidbit though...
        I have a 305 V8 in my T/A. I'm getting about 19-22 mpg in a semi gutted car with exhaust, a 5 speed and 3.42 gears.
        I have a miata friend with a 1.8 4 banger with ITBs and a dyno tune and he's probably getting 19.

Just throwing that out there.

Comment

gas mileage is also highly dependent on how you drive..

you can get fairly decent mileage if you don't race around everywhere.

there isn't really a "bad" motor for drifting, I've seen all of those used and they've all been utilized effectively

Comment

lol as far as i know the only actual v4 engine is the one in those old fwd saab sportscars.

Comment

Originally posted by soultron View Post
              V4?
              H4 maybe, but V4?
              I thought he was a certified mechanic too

Just messing around man.

Comment

i know V4 engines have little to no power. miatas are just abut the only V4 i've ever seen anyone try to do something with. i'm kinda lead footed. even when i'm not trying to, i drive fast. that's mainly why i wanted to try to find a car that's good on gas. another question, is the AE a fwd or RWD? now that i think about it, either that, or a older car like that are what i would be able to afford as a daily driver (i gotta start buying tools for my job wit some of the gwap i'm about to start making! ).
                Last edited by ; 04-10-2008, 07:49 PM.

Comment

again..

none of the cars you've seen with 4cyl are V4s.. they're all inline (I4) 4s.

AE86's are RWD, Yes

Comment

"v" refers to the layout of the cylinders. Four cylinders are %99.99 inline.

And the AEs have both fwd and rwd options.

Comment

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by soultron
                      V4?
                      H4 maybe, but V4?

what's a H4?
                      i don't know much about engines. is a v6 a good engine to use?

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_combustion_engine

read that.

Comment

Need Help on Deciding on Tool Investments.

Originally posted by gigglesnirt View Post
                          i don't trust anything on wikipedia. anyone can submit a definition for something. i can say that the sky is really purple and rains green elephants on thursday. they don't varify hardly anything they put on their site.

i found out that a AE86 corolla is rwd. i don't know what REALLY made there cars unique. what's so good about them, and how much can you do with one of them on a budget?

in a car with 5 gears, you do the second trick my getting in 5th gear, downshifting to 3rd, then to second, or am i thinking of the wrong way? can you do the secong trick by shifting directly to 2nd all the time, or do you have to put it into 3rd to keep from damaging your tranny?

i an open for any tools that anyone thinks that i should get as my first new tools to add to my supply. i'm thinking about investing on an impact gun and an air ratchet with a couple of sets of sockets. besides snap-on, what are some good tool companies to buy heavy-duty equipment?

Comment

wikipedia is fine, nerds monitor the *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* out of it.

Trust me in high school we edited plenty of stuff for shits and giggles, within hours it was back to normal (and we were also banned from editing wiki articles) people keep saying its unreliable, but there is a reason they have sources below and links to these sources.

Comment

i still don't like that site. if it doesn't have the same definition of a dictionary, i can't trust it.

Comment

Working...
                              X