Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On corner entry you can leave it in gear with the clutch engaged and it will work.

Mid corner you usually want to leave it in gear or shift up or down if necessary for corner exit. But you should definately have the clutch disengaged. Then you can kind of adjust your angle with the brakes. Be careful too much brake will make you spin really quick.

There are tons of other ways to use the brakes to manipulate the cars atitude. But describing them to you isnt gonna make you any better at implementing them. You just have to go out and experiment and learn which button to push and when.

Comment

Yes, you can hold the car at an angle with just braking. This is dependent on some car factors like suspension and brake bias setup. It's good if you can get the rear end to lock up first under hard braking. The car will feel unstable and squirrely under hard braking. It'll want to fish tail a little bit. It may be uneasy for someone not used to it, but it works well to allow you to position the car for a corner. You can modulate steering and braking pressure to rotate the car and adjust speed for the corner. It also allows you to start a drift a good distance before the corner and hold it. It's not the only way to do it.

I think e-brake is much more used as it is very effective at keeping the rear end way out without bleeding a ton of speed. Instead of hard whole car braking, you're only braking say 30% and achieving similar results. (the rear end only does around 30% of the braking as less weight is on the rear tires) It kind of depends on what you want to do and how your car behaves under braking.

An example is my Subaru. On gravel, it can get loosened up and you can get the rear end moving around...provided I disable ABS. I can just brake hard and rotate the car. However, on pavement, the suspension and brake bias will have the front tires lock up first in a corner. It will only understeer. In this case, the e-brake would be needed or some more input prior to my braking, say a moderate feint. I don't play on pavement much as in stock trim, my car doesn't feel too happy being pushed around under those loads. It's a whole lot more fun on loose gravel.

As far as the clutch thing, I guess that depends on what you're doing or should I say plan on doing next. For example, if I'm in the gear I want to be in for the corner, I won't touch the clutch, just feint a little and brake until it rotates, and I lay on the gas. With my old Ranger, it understeered and didn't have power to throttle over, so I used the shift to break the rear end free on entry. I'd come to the corner, turn in, and then I'd just drop it in second at idle and pop out the clutch. It was usually enough to break traction on the rear and get the drift started, worked almost like pulling the e-brake, very similar in effect. Just like the e-brake, it required you to be turning first, so it's a during corner thing. You could be braking at the same time if you wanted, didn't matter much. It all depends on what you want to do. Part of the fun of drifting is playing with the combinations of techniques and finding new ways to manipulate the car. There are tons of ways to do anything. It's just a matter of what works for you, your car, and the corner.

Comment

Good Thread, I'd have to agree with u, i found its a similar idea to fwd drifting, but instead of braking, oversteer then get off ur accelerator which will fick the back around, works good on roundabouts.... i mean 'on the track' . keep up the good work

Comment

Question???

what is better using the e brake or braking drift... and like exact instructions on how to ( step by step )

Comment

Um, braking drift is done by braking...

you mean e-brake? That's a whole other technique.

Comment

i love u mike

Comment

Originally posted by Driftnoob88 View Post
                what is better using the e brake or braking drift... and like exact instructions on how to ( step by step )
                try watchin drift bible.

Comment

Originally posted by Driftnoob88 View Post

1) get a rwd car in good shape
                  2) find legal events near you
                  3) pay entry fee for legal event, have someone teach you 1st hadn instead of reading on internet.

Comment

This thread makes me cry cause everybody is getting so technical.
                    I learned brake drifting through experience.Nobody ever told me about it.
                    First things first dont stomp on your brakes.Second turn before you apply the brakes and do it in a progressive fashion.if you stomp you will understeer by locking up the front tires.Most times I dont even use the front brakes unless I am too hot into a turn but if you got the right speed for it then just let off the gas and use engine braking to start a drift.
                    Off the gas or braking just causes weight to transfer to the front tires and off the rear.letting weight off the rear will reduce traction and depending on how hard your turning, balance gas and steering vice versa.
                    BLAH BLAH BLAH..I can sit here typing a long story but all I can say is DO IT!!

Peters has the right idea!! reading about it is way diffrent than doing it.

Also ima let you all in a funny fact.

"grand turismo" GT1-2-3 helped me learn the physics of drifting better.when the game first came out.But doing it in a car is way diffrent.GT4 is even harder to drift with.Use A STEERING WHEEL AND PEDALS..
                    Last edited by JunpoweR; 12-07-2006, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Peters View Post
                      1) get a rwd car in good shape
                      2) find legal events near you
                      3) pay entry fee for legal event, have someone teach you 1st hadn instead of reading on internet.

gonna have to agree.

Comment

Quick tip/add on to junpower's post-
                        In GT4 use the first person/in car view(not roof view) for a great drift practice tool. (the chase cam makes drifting very wierd and unrealistic feeling.)

Comment

actually, get live for speed or enthusia, the physics are more accuate...

Comment

Originally posted by ACDSupra7 View Post
                            Ehhh just learn it in the canyons
                            Yeah good idea. I'm just looking to kill myself. lol Nahh but keep racing on the tracks. The Falken drift team is trying to emphasize that so everybody can enjoy drifting the way it's supposed to be.

Comment

Originally posted by grift View Post
                              gonna have to agree.
                              serious.... why so much thought into this?

it's really not much more complicated than turning in and hitting the breaks

listen to peters... forget the games, forget being too technical (it'll make you overthink it), forget the internet. go DO it at the track

Comment

Actually, in my opinion, it is a good idea to head over to a go-kart track and practice racing there.

In fact, I am currently doing a school(senior) project on automotive racing, and I am going to do this "track day" thing with my friends(to save money by splitting the bill). I am saving up for a 911 SC or 3.2 ('80-'85). I am only 4k short of 18k.

My friend took me out karting, which I thought was a joke, because I had previously thought that karts were merely toys. I was proven very wrong. The karts were fast and responsive, a lot of driver feedback.

Comment

Working...
                                X