• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRWINDALE SPEEDWAY "Will Re-Open April 26th "

UPDATE
    http://www.dragzine.com/news/irwinda...en-april-26th/

(FORMULA D RESPONSE) IRWINDALE SPEEDWAY CLOSING?? l

“There has been recent news regarding the status of Irwindale Speedway. This situation is still very fluid and there is nothing definitive on the future of the facility or Formula DRIFT’s event there. There are rumors ranging from full closure to “business as usual” with changes only to staff and their in-house NASCAR and drag racing events, again nothing is definitive. The current issue from what we understand is between the facility operators and the property owners. Formula DRIFT will be monitoring the situation at Irwindale and will provide updates via our website and social media channels. As we have proven in the past, no matter what happens, Formula DRIFT will be prepared.”

- Jim Liaw, President and Co-founder of Formula DRIFT

IRWINDALE SPEEDWAY Appears to be CLOSING ARTICLE
    http://www.dailynews.com/ci_19947701?IADID

The Pasadena Star News site has some comments from a 'resident' about how she's glad it's closing down due to the noise pollution.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/sports/ci_19947533

It blows my mind that people can be so narrow minded to want to run out businesses just to enjoy their 'peace and quiet' (even though there are noise ordinances anyways, and the track is next to 2 busy freeways).

Comment

Damn, lots of memories here including the first official "drift" event in the u.s. (rsr drift festival)

Hopefully they are just changing ownership, there's money to be made, they just have to find someone who's good at marketing.

Comment

This is where it started and this is where it will stay.
        The House of Drift will never go away.
        That place means just as much to me both as a driver and a fan.

Comment

No way.... I don't wanna believe it.........

Comment

I heard from a worker back in oct that the track was "about to go through major renovations"

Looking back I wish I woulda started that rumor so this one didn't get out of hand.

Dont worry folks

Comment

Kinda hard to deny it when they're tearing the place down.

Comment

Drove by there today. Sign is off I don't think I've ever seen that sign off

Comment

hey look at this

There are four buildings on the Irwindale Speedway property owned by Nu-Way Industries valued at an estimated $31 million, according to documents obtained from the Los Angeles County Treasurer and Tax Collector.

A phone message left with Nu-Way Industries in Arcadia was not returned.

Mike Atkinson, the chief steward at Irwindale Speedway, said news of the bankruptcy was a surprise.

"I didn't know there was a bankruptcy until yesterday," Atkinson said in a phone interview on Tuesday. "I wasn't informed of anything. Things are up in the air, but I'm trying to stay positive thinking."

Atkinson added that the owners of the property want to continue racing at Irwindale Speedway.

..........The Formula Drift Series also had a date scheduled at Irwindale Speedway in October. According to John Pangilinan, the media director with the series, Irwindale Speedway has not contacted them about honoring the race date.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/story...les-bankruptcy

Comment

Originally posted by midnight run View Post
                    ..........The Formula Drift Series also had a date scheduled at Irwindale Speedway in October. According to John Pangilinan, the media director with the series, Irwindale Speedway has not contacted them about honoring the race date.
                    Irwindale probably also hasn't contacted Formula D about cancelling the race date.

Word on the street is that there's likely a new management company that will be hired to run the speedway, and everything will sort itself out in the next 3 to 6 months. From what I've heard, FD has confidence that the speedway will be back to business-as-usual before the end of the summer, and doesn't feel that their date in October is threatened.

Read the press release again...

"Irwindale Speedway has cancelled the 2012 racing season."

Guess what season that is? That's the season of NASCAR style races that had a championship points system. The same season that was shortened by 2 races last year. Not private rentals for TV filming, not the LA Racing school (who said they will continue to operate business as usual), and likely not Formula D.

Reading that bankruptcy document, it looks like the biggest cause of the bankruptcy are 3 personal injury claims (1 for $150k, and 2 others of undisclosed amounts). $331k of outstanding debt, nearly half of which is owed to 1 party.... I don't know about you, but that's a very very minimal amount of money for such a huge property. It's not uncommon for people to file bankruptcy after a major lawsuit to avoid paying the damages. Remember, Irwindale Speedway was an LLC which was independent from the actual racing facility (which is owned by Nuway Industries). If the LLC files for bankruptcy, the litigant can't place a lien against Nuway Industries since they weren't associated with the original claim.

Sounds like a game of cat and mouse. If Vegas had betting odds, I'd put $20 on the October Irwindale event happening.

Comment

Irwindale Speedway LLC leased the track and offices from a company called Nu-Way Industries Inc. in Arcadia. Jim Mnoian, the president of Nu-Way Industries Inc., said he would like to find a company or group to take over racing operations at the track and resume racing as soon as possible.

http://hometownstation.com/index.php...orts&Itemid=45

Comment

See?

the race track isn't getting demolished. Just the current management team.

Comment

Thats good news, I was really sad when I first heard about this.

Comment

Landowner: About 20 parties interested in leasing or buying Irwindale Speedway

Read more: http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news...#ixzz1md9COFQ8

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
                              $331k of outstanding debt, nearly half of which is owed to 1 party.... I don't know about you, but that's a very very minimal amount of money for such a huge property. It's not uncommon for people to file bankruptcy after a major lawsuit to avoid paying the damages.
                              hmmmm.....

From the article - http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news...#ixzz1md9COFQ8

The track had $4.96 million in gross profits in 2010 and $4.36 million last year.
                              that's less than 10% of PROFITS.... Someone made a ton of money, stuffed it in a bank account, filed bankruptcy to avoid paying out on a personal injury claim, and laughed all the way to an exotic destination. If I were a former employee of Irwindale Speedway LLC, I'd be calling for legal investigations for embezzlement.

Comment

Working...
                              X