Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fatvp: yes, it works in an auto or manual. Worth a try, on a "PRIVATE" road.

Comment

fatvp, braking drift IS a weight transfer method. If you want to keep it in simple terms, it's simply braking to transfer weight forward. Just as steering is used to move weight from side to side and implement the feint technique, the braking technique simply brings the weight forward to initiate a drift. It is simply meant to increase front traction and decrease rear traction. By doing so, your car will be easily prone starting a drift via mild steering input.

Note, this technique is independent of car type, fwd, rwd, awd or or even transmission type. It has nothing to do with that aspect of the car. You brake, the weight goes forward, let off and steer. The front end gains traction, the rear end gets loose, and you steer to initate the drift. It's quite simple in concept. The key is not to think to hard, lol.

Getting used to it and controlling it well is another story. That takes time and practice, but it is a pretty easy to learn, just hard to work at the traction limits if you push that hard. Also realize, the amount of braking is only dependent on what is needed for the car to gain oversteer and on how you apply the technique.

Just like with feint, you can use a small or large amount of steering as well as a slow or fast steering rate. Varying these aspects will affect how the car behaves or even if it starts a drift or not. Braking is the same way. You can manipulate various aspects to adapt the technique for the corner or your style. You can brake lightly or heavily. You can gradually increase braking or just stab quickly on the brakes. You can brake and let off immediately before you steer or keep braking lightly while you steer. You'll adapt these aspects to the road and corner type as well as your style of starting your drift. Braking is even useful during the drift. As it creates an oversteer situation(as long as you don't lock up the front tires and create understeer), you can actually hold a drift angle from a high speed till stopped without use of any throttle or e-brake. This can be used for early initiation towards the end of a straignt before a turn or can be used to bleed off excess speed through a corner if you came in too hot and still want to maintain a drift. When I started on a fwd, this was my main method of maintaining a full corner drift from start to exit. Come in hot, brake to loosen the rear end and start the drift, then maintain light braking around and to the exit. It worked well for a smooth drift and supported a faster than normal entry speed. However, a fwd always exited slow. A rwd can do the braking half way, enter fast, braking drift to apex, and then lay on the throttle to maintain or gain speed, and drift through to the end. Play with the technique, get a good feel for it. It's a very useful method to use both to intiate and to control durning a drift. The only thing you have to worry about is braking too hard. If you lock up the front, you'll understeer and the drift either won't start or could end in mid-drift if you get too brake heavy part way through. The traction limits is the key you need to learn.

Comment

When I do runs with my TBird, I have to combine the weight transfer with proper steering to get the best results, because with my 3.27's and slushbox, breaking the tires loose is out of the question. Sometimes I even throw in a tiny feint when gripping to set the car for the corner. Also learnng to trailbrake has saved my a$$ a time or 2.

Learning new ways to drive and getting your car to go faster simply by driving better is a great thing, indeed. You may not have Nomuken's talent, but you can always use your brain to get faster.
        Last edited by Tsunami; 12-06-2006, 03:19 PM.

Comment

yeah i also have an open diff which is *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* *Censored**Censored**Censored*
          perth australia has no drift courses
          they only have barbagallo raceway which is for cuircut racing

Comment

Yeah sometimes it can also help if you have a weak e-brake like in mine. Mine will only lock one tire and thats in gravel.

This is good for loxwer speed tight corners is a combo of the two. Brake hard into the corner let off then turn but the rear doesn't come around since your only going like 30mph pull the e-brake and the rear traction just evaporates.

Comment

That is one well explained concept. Thanks. But I've got a question; At what speed does this technique become ineffective? At what point would the speed be too slow for this technique to not work?

Thanks
              B-Wurm

Comment

at approximatel 18.4 miles per hour the rate of velocity that your car is traveling is so miniscule that braking will only further slow down the car. So braking drift will not work. But if you were to accelerate 50 percent and realize a speed of at the very least 20 miles per hour, then you can brake until your attain 18.4 miles an hour again and use 100 percent of the throttle to induce throttle, which in turn will cause power to be transmitted because of the air going through the air cleaner traveling through the air tubing increases in velocity and volume going into the engine, which has it's throttle plate or plates open ready to accept the incoming air. Then engine then will sense the opening the the throttle body, which registers the the throttle position sensor which sends a voltage to the computer and the computer computes the given voltage, which can be a value anywhere between half a volt and four and a half volts to let the engine's computer know how much throttle is applied, and the computer computes it to let the injectors know how much fuel to inject into the combustion chamber so that the engine doesn't run lean. This way, your braking drift won't become a breaking drift. Then you will feel the rush of torque planting you into your seat, this torque will be more with an engine capable of more air volume and velocity which will help the car to drift. Then you will feel the velocity of the car shift, and there fore you are drifting, but you are not done yet. You have to now modulate the throttle to modulat the electrical current going into the computer so that it can compute the variance in power the user wants to go to the rear wheels so that you don't just do a donut, this way you can continue to slide all the while you should use your right hand, coordinating with your left hand turn the steering wheel so the counter the direction of the vehicle's travel. So therefore you are now still travel in a direction but countersteering to travel in the same direction from what the applied force wants to turn the car. Now for high speed braking drift, it is actually easier because less throttle is neccesary to make the car do it's sideways wiggly thingy. All one has to do to accomplish a high speed braking drift is to coordinate the right foot to apply approximately eighty percent of braking force so that the earth's gravity can make the front of the car go down into the earth and the rear of the car want to go to the sky. Now, when this is happening, the user should apply more throttle to the computer can compute like mentioned before throttle to the rear wheels, making them kind of like they want to fly to the sky and SES their finkl so that the car will start to slide. When the car beginse to slide it will be at a much faster rate then when at twenty mile per hour. For example, say you were conduction braking drift at sixty something miles and hour, say sixty two miles and hour, this speed is approximately almost three times the speed of twenty miles an hour, but we only think that, in actual physical terms, it is not a linear applied amount of power but an exponential amount so when you coordinated the left and right hand to turn the steering wheel at a rate when conductin the braking drift at twenty miles and hour, you now have to conduct the right and left hand to use the steering wheel at a much higher rate, exponential like the speed is so that you can cause the vehicle to travel in the wanted direction, not in the undesired direction, If you do not conduct this well, you can not win Formula D, and don't even think about D1. The guys in D1 are so skilled at this that their computers compute the throttle going to the rear wheels at a rate much faster than your car. That is why you must buy a Power FC, and teach your car to compute fast. It is actually easy to teach yourself to coordinate your right and left hand to coordinate together, but much harder to make our car compute like the Japanese people's cars. It is becuase they have their car's built in the land of the rising sun, so the cars wake up earlier and are fully function long before our cars are. It's like the Japanese and Americans. The Japanese are awake earlier and are already hard at work making Sonys, Panasonics, JVCs, Toyotas, while us Americans are still alseep dreaming about our Fords and Chevys. So because their cars wake up earlier than ours, their cars can compute the value given to them by the user into power much sooner, and that is why even though Americans are practicinb to get good at drifting by practicing braking drift, we will not truly make it in D1 until we learn to wake up a the *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*'s first crow like the Japanese. Well, either that, or someone buys Keichi a hooker. That guy looks like he needs one. That is my advice for braking drift. If you study it hard, I guarantee you one hundred and fifty percent, I don't even know where the fifty percent come from, it's like giving someone one hundred and fifty percent of an apple, when you only have one hundred percent of the apple, but I will give you a one hundred and fifty percent guarantee, like the one they gave me when I bought my Mustang from the Ford dealership that if you read and fully comprehend all that I have said here you will become a great drifter like Keichi, and someday, someone will want to buy you a hooker too, but your warranty won't be worth ten percent when you go back to the Ford dealership to use it.

Comment

wow....

i read my first book..hahaha

great thread guys it really helped me understand the weight transition during a braking drift

Comment

Holy crap was that a long and unbroken paragraph! But I daresay that was one helpful post. And I do think that I understood what you are saying. *Sees great things in his future*

B-Wurm
                    Last edited by Buddyworm; 12-19-2004, 01:22 PM.

Comment

when i had my jeep grand cherokee i got bored of off roading and started to mess arouind in this huge parking lot, the e brake was broken not that i would use it in an awd jeep but i got that thing sideways really good, before the tranny droped out (probably the reason the tranny dropped). but the videos that i have are sick, i just wish i had a mini dv cam that i could use to put it on the net. but back to the drifting part i got my jeep to drift when the awd system was working and after i snapped both front drive axles, and let me tell you a rwd jeep in the winter is not as much fun as you think it would be. any way how i got the jeep to drift was i would get up some speed then turn the wheel and as a driver you start to know your vehicle and i felt there was a certain point that tapping the brakes would send the rear wheels out and start the drift. soon after i got that down i could tell when that point where i should hit the brakes was coming and if ou mash the brakes down right before that i got my jeep to whip a full 360, but it was probably one of the scariest things i have ever done with the body roll and the jeep's noises, i thought that thing was going to flip but nope i kept the rubber side down.

Comment

Brake drifting is amazing when done right. At hi-speeds is when it should be used but the transfer of weight and how the car get side ways is sweet. You do have to have good steering abillity and good throttle conrtoll but yeah its one of the best techniques to get sideways!

Comment

Originally posted by EVL-TE
                          Being someone who has only heard of drifting in Australia 6 months ago, i found that the Drift Bible helped me with my braking drift in my big heavy falcon.

Works a treat since i have a dodgy dash-mount handbrake and have to lean forward to use it, then it locks on and up a gutter you go.

Nice article. Hope everyone else finds it helpful as he is pretty much spot on with the technique here.
                          Hey, I've got a 96 VS, stock as a rock, how the hell can you break drift in that ( The EA ) , ive seen my mate do handbreakies in his and the suspension is soo poor??

Exactly how do you do it, a step-by-step breakdown would be helpful, ill try apply it to my doddgey VS and hopefully ill get the peice of *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* sideways.

Comment

I want to initiate a high speed, top of third or low 4th , drift down a straight like the pros did at Atlanta before entering their first turn.

What would you do?
                            What technique do you use?

Comment

Most of the guys were using their E-brakes on the first turn at Atlanta. I was using throtle lift. But dont take my advice, unles you DONT want to make it past Fri.

Comment

???

when u use this breaking technique, are u depressing the clutch when u brake or have u shifted to neutral?

Comment

Working...
                                X