No announcement yet.

How do I start Drifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3g's for a 240sx...hmmm...Even though you have Detroit as your location,you say your from Canada.If so,you do know you can have a Silvia for that price.240's are being priced more than Silvia K's with less than half the km on the dial too.Check your pms,I've sent a listing that you may find useful.

Comment

Ghost is right. Driving is something all in itself. even before drifting.

as for drifting or any modifications to your car. Buy the car and get a 5354631461346134612 point check up and maintenence job. make sure eveyrthing is in PERFECT owrking condition before you even dare turn your car sideways. your might wind up breakin a bolt or tie arm ro something and your not gonna like it. and usually when a dealer does it, they put a warranty on the work. So just get it done. Besides it's gonna handle better with a maintenence job and feel alot better. do the basics before u modify ur car.

Comment

yea man ill check it howd you know im from canada iam gonna change that now tho.
        lol man were iam from their aint no mountains that is what sucks, no touge here
        DAMMIT

Comment

Feint iam sending you a messege check it.

does anyone here have msn?? or yahoo

Comment

look everyone im in a good mood so i just gotta say, nedinic probably has the best attitude towards drifting ive ever seen. he wuz into drifting science since he wuz fourteen (so wuz i), he doesn't ask s=dumb questions and he aint ur average noob. i think we should all give this guy some props... mad props,... this guys got a future ahead of him in drifting i can see it. keep up the good work even though u cant drive yet (i think)

[EDIT]

ok so hes not a noob, he wuz just asking questions that made it seem that he might be new to this. hes new to driving so u cant blame him...

Comment

Originally posted by scirocco
              look everyone im in a good mood so i just gotta say, nedinic probably has the best attitude towards drifting ive ever seen. he wuz into drifting science since he wuz fourteen (so wuz i), he doesn't ask s=dumb questions and he aint ur average noob. i think we should all give this guy some props... mad props,... this guys got a future ahead of him in drifting i can see it. keep up the good work even though u cant drive yet (i think)

[EDIT]

ok so hes not a noob, he wuz just asking questions that made it seem that he might be new to this. hes new to driving so u cant blame him...
              thanks for the compliment
              i get my full license in less then 2 weeks so i cant wait till that to happen.
              Ive been looking through on this site for a long long time and learned some stuff.

thanks, so if there is more i neeed to know please say so

THanks

Comment

Originally posted by HX-50
                start stock, get to know how your car handles, then when you get that down, i'd spring for coilovers
                Hes right you should start drifting in ur s13 stock to better know your car and when u get a bit better start adding different parts with the car and see wat happens and as u get used to those new tune ups you can add more and more until you got an unbeatable racing machine ^_^. Heheheh thats how i did it. Ciao

Comment

Originally posted by Heav3nzHell
                  Hes right you should start drifting in ur s13 stock to better know your car and when u get a bit better start adding different parts with the car and see wat happens and as u get used to those new tune ups you can add more and more until you got an unbeatable racing machine ^_^. Heheheh thats how i did it. Ciao
                  i disagree, u should change ur suspension first since it will make a big difference. if i were u i would change it as soon as possible so that u dont have to re-accustom urself with the car. at least this is how i did it when i had my hachigo and it worked fine but maybe i shouldn't have done that i dont know and nobody will ever really know since u cant start driving stock and then change ur suspension then start driving again with ur suspension changed... its scientifically impossible, but i would advise against the aforementioned advice since u SHOULD start drifting with the suspension u plan to keep, same goes for brake bias in some cases

Comment

Parts and mods are only as good as the driver. Learn to drift than get think about gettin mods. You dont buy a $1000 tien drift suspension and ruin it the 1st time you drift.

Comment

Yes, just learn the handling/performance of your car. And practice drifting like that until you finally get the hang of it! Once you do that you should start with the modifications to your car; such as your suspension, tires, and underneath the hood.

Comment

thanks a lot

Comment

Screw all that expensive stuff! Get some springs to drop your ride height, find a parking lot that is wide open and let loose! If you've never drifted then you have no preferences. The sooner you start sliding around, the sooner you'll have some idea of what you want. You might even go to used car dealerships to test other setups.

Comment

Scirocco- Your post is really hard to read. You might want to invest more time in more concise posts. Adaptation is one of the key parts of being a driver, and if you start with a crappy suspension and then go to a good suspension, you'll find that many aspects of drifting get easier. Why you mentioned brake bias is beyond me... a beginner would not need to mess with it.

Canon-You don't just change your springs.
                            The shocks must be upgraded along with the springs.

I'm all for learning to drift on stock suspension... and I would've done it had my car come stock.

Comment

I also have to agree about not upgrading your car right away. There was a situation earlier in another thread where a gentlemen couldnt get his S13 to oversteer so he rushed right out and bought a coilover suspension setup. And surprise surprise, it didnt help him.

Honestly i started on a 140k mile chassis automatic open differential S13, and i could get the thing to oversteer at wheel with out touching the handbrake. It wasnt upgraded hardware it was just practice. People complain that the open diff makes the car snap back hard, there right, how was i able to make several connected smooth drifts? practice! so much practice lol..

I've gotten beyond that and am building a better setup now. However it is my personal theory that starting on a crummier platform builds the driver. And only when the car is holding back the driver (and honestly i probably had abit more to go) i think one hould upgrade the car.

However that is only my theory. The only way i can prove it is by getting better and proving it on the track which i plan to do.

But theres a very practical reason for leaving the car mostly stock, especialy a S13 or something else that drifts well. if you wanted to drift a pickup or something else thats not known for its drifting ability you may want to talk about making some small changes. However the practical reason for keeping it stock until your better is simply because most the newbies dont know how to tune or set an adjustable coilover system. Or know how to use a large high horse power setup that perhaps has some lag to it. Or understand how to keep a 2 way differential under control.

Honestly S13s are good drift platforms, they dont need anythign done to get them sideways. You may not be winning the D1 with a stock setup but then again, you wont win the D1 if your knew anyways. And im reminded of what a 'friend' (grin) of mine said in another thread about the S13 understeering. he said something along the lines (not exact) "Funny how before the drift bible got its english translation the S13 wasnt known for bad understeering"

So practice practice practice if you still cant get better come back and ask us. We will help, then practice practice practice.

And if practicing for a long time on a stock suspension screws you up, or is unuseful when you upgrade your suspension. then what are you going to do if it rains? or your drifting on a different surface. Or you need a new car? The fact is practicing with semi stock setups teaches you the basics i believe.

Okay this is too long now so i shall end it.

Comment

Maybe this deserves it's own thread, but i fel it's in line with the current thread so here goes.

I've been driving illegally since I was 14, I went out last year and Finally got a license at age 32 so I could finally not have to worry about running from the law anymore.

I've got a 89 S13 with a cracked head and well over 328000 miles on the engine and a gauge cluster thats dead, but the rest of the car seems to be in perfect condition, no rust anywhere (underside, floorpans, trunk, it's clean), struts are not leaking and provide good rebound. This will be my only car. The only driving I do is to the grocery store and for enjoyment.

Tomarrow I get 10g's to play with and i'm getting the last minute heeby-jeebies. I had planed to go out and get a SR20 upgrade from Mid-Altantic Motorsports ($5500 for professional swap including electronics, side IC and exhaust). The current engine isn't really worth investing in a rebuild. I don't see the sense in paying for even a used KA24-E and new gauge cluster ($1450 for a junk yard motor plus professional install), when i'll just want to replace it again with a SR20 within a year. Also it may be stupid, but I do want to put a body kit on it and ducted projector headlights because I hate flip-ups in the winter and the stock bumper is torn to where it will present problems with the one-time state vehicle inspection.

After reading this article, I'm wondering if I'm even going the right direction. I must ask, what is the consesus in my situation? I've driven the car a little but i can't get more then a mile or so before heat causes head expansion and I lose all compression. but I am experienced with high speed driving and have owned quite a few cars that want to naturally fishtail.

Comment

Working...
                                X