No announcement yet.

Drifting a SC300 or SC400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I currently have a SC300 5 speed and im converting it to drift spec. There are a few companies that sell turbo kits for the car so its pretty easy to get it up to speed. And i may add alot cheeper then buying a supra and alot lower profile when it comes to cops. They see a lexus and they dont think that its modified. So far all ive got is the LSD but ive got the turbo kit on order and should be getting the clutch this week. Then a set of coil overs and it should be ready for some fun.
    BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

How does the car handle Alex?

Comment

Here is some stuff I found for the SC300/400.

Some Stuff

Some More Stuff

P.S.: Most of the stuff that works for the Supra Non-Turbo will work for the SC300

Comment

Wow everyone wants to get a sc300 these days... what is the sudden attraction to them now... for years no one (I don't mean no one, but not many people rather) wanted anything to do with them but recently ...within the last 2 years boom ... Its cool I guess means more 240's for everyone else I guess.

Anyways the SC300 is a great base.... but for a beginner car its a little hard. But with the basic components (diff/sus/etc...) it makes a really good race car (just needs to go on a diet). Anyone coming from a AE86 to a SC will have absolutlely no difficulty making the transisition. I love mine and hardly miss my old AE86 these days. Just remember this is an expensive car to build up... parts aren't as available as they are for 240's but I think its an alternative. In any event... good luck building up the SC's over there.

Alex, you gonna start racing the SC instead of the AE86?

Comment

If you plan on swapping a 2JZ-GTE, think it over again, bercause there's a nice engine that's also great... And that's 1JZ. It has 2.5l displacement, but still has those twin Hitachi CT-12 (not sure about that) turbos, and has 280 horses at the flywheel. There's a lot of aftermarket support (some of the 2JZ parts will fit the 1JZ, and JUN makes most of the necesarry internals for it) and it would be easier to swap in than the 2JZ, as you don't need to convert the J-Spec Supra computer to work on it - it will work with a 2.5TT Soarer ECU. Match it with an Mk. IV Getrag V161 tranny and you'll make a really great car, that's one of my personal favourites.

Comment

i wanna do this to. i have been thinking about it for years. but i have no money and i'm too busy trying to get money for my current project onevia!

2jz's sound sexy, does the 1jz sound similar?
              my next project is either soarer or rbs14, or maybe both

Comment

1JZ is such a beautiful engine.... sounds so great, revs so smooth makes so much power...

A new exh. mani and a TD06 or something similar would be allll you would ever need on a 1JZ (i'm sure getting larger injectors too). Then boost controller, exhaust, etc. I know of a couple making 400 hp+ like that... just turbo upgrade and small little things.

1JZGTE late models with VVT-i are possible my favorite engines. Its whats in teh JZX110 Mark II and Verossa, for instance.

Comment

ueno's soarer has the 1jz right?
                  does the 2jz-ge and 2jz-gte weigh about the same?

Comment

- Theres not a big weight difference between the 300 and 400 ( get the 300 )
                    - There are a million companies that make parts for them. suspension parts, turbo set-ups (for the 300)
                    - Theres not a big 'need' for a 2jz...Pimp factor: Yes
                    - 1JZ is not really a USDM Lexus swap option. Would be a waste of time and money, when you can turbo the I6 engine thats in there and get more power..If you are looking for more than that, the 2Jz is the only way to go.

- Parts aint cheap. If you're coming into the 'Lexus scene' from the 240sx,AE86 or Honda world, then you're in for a big surpri$e.

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by DriftGirl; 10-06-2004, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Ueno's Soarer has a 2JZ motor... And a nice HKS turbo inside. It doesn't lack power of you ask me

Comment

Originally posted by DriftGirl
                        There are a million companies that make parts for them. suspension parts, turbo set-ups (for the 300)
                        hey can you throw up some suspension parts places because you seem to be knowledgable you should share it with the rest of us. coilovers you can find but rucas and crap i cant seem to locate

Comment

parts aren't cheap, nor are they as available as 24 or Ae86 parts ... but most importantly, don't forget the cost of gas for this thing... for a 70L tank (forget what that is in gallons) here in japan can cost over 8000yen to fill with Hi-octane (about $75) imagine filling that up once or twice a week (if your driving too hard).

Comment

you should go on japancoparts.com

Comment

I have a 92 SC300 5 speed as well. You can find parts for it, if you look hard enough. JIC makes a few susp comp.

Tie rods $198:

Front upper links $550:

Do LUCK makes front and sway bars for $940 (set)

Rear ladder bar $240:

Floor Support bar $400(steel) $520 (aluminum)

Strut towers:
                              JIV makes the expensive ones, but you can get generics like mine off ebay for $25-$50, and they do the same thing. These are easy to find.

Weight savings:

Carbon trunk $412 (importfan.com)

Carbon hood $375(same)

Vertex Dry Carbon Doors:
                              Speed Alliance has them listed at $4500. Damn!

Seats:
                              I removed both front seats and replaced with generic buckets from NexTech. Approx $200/seat with Sparco rails. Wieght savings: almost 200 lbs.

Lightwieght rims:
                              pretty self explanatory... mutli piece rims will save weight. The smaller the wheel, the lighter it will be. I have 16x8.5 SSRs. under 15 lbs each.

headers:
                              Turbos, although the best mod you can make on a 2JZ, is not within everyone's budget. but don't discount the stock power on SCs. 220HP, is not a bad platform to build on. Headers are very effective in the HP department, because you will eleminate 2 cats. This is a quick 10-15 hp... and easy to do... But who makes headers?

right here:
                              lexstacy.com $325

intake:
                              you can get an Injen or Rod Millen intake for these cars for $200+ or you can DIY with any 3" filter (I use Blitz SUS) and a 2JZ adapter, available from Speed Alliance for $35.

exhaust:

The only legal system i know of is the greddy one. but the fact is, you can get almost any brand for the SC. Blitz, JIC, Veilside, Tanabe, Borla, etc...

that covers the basics, for a complete guide to this car, there is no better resource than:
                              http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html#024

here are a few more pics of my SC:

and of course, for those who can afford a turbo:
                              http://www.i-m-racing.com/fmaxturkitfo3.html

IMO, it is actually better to start with a 1JZ, rather than turboing the 2JZ N/A... only because the compression is 9.0:1 rather than 10.5:1. Also consider price. The trubo kit is almost $5k, whereas, you can reasonably find 1JZ manuals, as they are becoming more popular, for around $2k, a little more for a complete clip. Longevity will a major factor in going the 1JZ route... also note that the 1JZ is built for this car... the car was never offered with a 2JZ turbo...

Also note that when shoipping for a 1JZ, be sure to check the year of the motor, as there are 2 VERY different versions.

The LATER VVT-i 1JZ-GTE is a single turbo with higher peak torque rating at a lower 2400 RPM.

The earlier non VVT-I version is a twin turbo with the same 280HP, but a slightly lower peak torque rating at 4800 rpm.

overall, this car is a beast... it is very reliable, and does not need alot of maintenance. If you have the means... you won't be sorry... however, good luck finding a 5 speed... they are as rare as you think... took me 8 months to find the one I got.

L8

Comment

Originally posted by drunkcarlos
                                parts aren't cheap, nor are they as available as 24 or Ae86 parts ... but most importantly, don't forget the cost of gas for this thing... for a 70L tank (forget what that is in gallons) here in japan can cost over 8000yen to fill with Hi-octane (about $75) imagine filling that up once or twice a week (if your driving too hard).
                                In CA, it costs around $35 to fill the tank, which I believe is 18g. MPG is less than 20. I usually clock between 320-350 miles on each tank.

Comment

Working...
                                X