Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana..drifting?

Hey guys,

Change of plans. no longer going to Florida this fall, but Indianapolis, IN. Wow, huge change.

Just wondering..is there any drifting in Indianapolis/indiana area? any tuning shops?

How are the emissions in IN?

Any 240sx's, rx7's, or ae86's?

...any sr20dets?

god im gonna miss japan.

Indiana is the open wheel center of the universe thanks to tracks like Indianapolis Raceway Park, Anderson Speedway, Baer Field, Terre Haute Action Track, the Indiana State Fairgrounds, and of course, Indy.

You can't go too far without kicking up some sprint car racing, and many of the tracks (particularly IRP) have layouts that could be used for drifting.

However, as the racing scene in Indiana has grown up around Indy, there's very little focus on racing outside of true open wheel (Sprints, Modifieds, Silver Crown, Midgets, Supermodifieds). Also, because Indiana is very stereotypical for a Midwest Great Lakes state, it's a majority domestic purchasing state.

You'll run across 200 Buick Park Avenues before you find your first RX7, 400 Chevy Corsicas before you see your first 240SX, and 1000 Mercury Topazes before you see your first AE86.

However, Camaros, Firebirds, and Mustangs are going to be a dime a dozen.

Comment

Ever time I drive through Indiana I wish I didn't have to drive through Indiana.

Comment

Originally posted by soultron
        Ever time I drive through Indiana I wish I didn't have to drive through Indiana.

ya i had to drive through ohio once.... pretty freakin boring. anyhoo...

im from Terre Haute, IN.... its 70 miles west of Indy on I-70... no drifting here yet... i need to go around and see if i can use a big parking lot or somthin. and oh ya... no emission testing here

Comment

Indiana has no emissions I think?

There are ClubFR (www.clubfr.net) events people from indy go to. All the fun go kart tracks! We have one coming up on the 25th, but its in wisconsin.

Comment

looks like im pickin up a 240sx in florida.

sh!t, im dreading my move to Indiana...does anyone driftdrift there? not sprint or anything

thank god for no emissions

Comment

Indiana?! well if there's no emission in Indiana...then just bring a car from japan ...there i just save you like two months of work

-Peace!

Comment

Originally posted by markeese180sx
                looks like im pickin up a 240sx in florida.

sh!t, im dreading my move to Indiana...does anyone driftdrift there? not sprint or anything

thank god for no emissions

dude chill.... its going to be ok... we could start drifting here..wherever and whenever we can.... IRP had a great setup for drifting... all it would take would be for us to raise money to rent the track

Comment

youll most likely need to go out of state, theres some good events in dayton every month, and ClubFR holds some good events too, thats chicago land. youll be fine.

Comment

IM actually talking to the SCCA guys to set up some events at a place in Peru,Indiana. And like Simba said you can always check out www.clubfr.net for all the stuff in Chicago. At the momemnt there aren’t any events in the state of Indiana. You can check out www.moderspeedlabs.com it’s where I am working now you can stop by and check it out anytime. I know DD8 will be going on soon in Green Bay I believe. Ill update you guys with what the people at SCCA tell me about letting us use the track to have a event in October and some for next year.

Thank You
                    Edgar

Comment

If we wanted to have a drift session like the drag racers have every tuesday night and fridays, all we have to do is show enough interest, persuade the IRP officials that it would be a good investment and help spread the word around. But, it doesn't happen. Why? IRP is based around drag racing. I would love to have a Dori Dori Wednesday or a Slideways Friday, but the fact of the matter is, that IRP will see it as more of a liablity to host a drift session. They have to have EMS set up , a staging area, and they will worry about the grounds, should somebody go offroading (newbies). Drag racing is simple, go forward and go fast. Drifting is not something that everyone can walk up to and join in on, it takes practice. I wouldn't want to see a newbie, take his/her car out for the first time, try a feint drift and total their car. I'm not saying a drift session wouldn't be possible, but there would have to be stages/areas, maybe the learning area (skidpad basically), intermediate ( track portion where the drags staging is), and the knowledgable area (the roadcourse hairpin or the northside portion of the roadcourse) These are just ideas and my opinion.

I think if we really want to see a drift session in Indy similar to Tuesday Night Drags, we have to assemble an arsenal of legitimacy to throw at the officials. Who's in?

Maybe I'm just talking out of my *Censored**Censored**Censored*. I'm no great drifter, I know I need practice...and a LSD, but the only way we're gonna get anything, even a parking lot session, is to come together on this.

J
                      Last edited by JDriftM; 09-04-2005, 10:05 PM.

Comment

they have to have ems people there? hmm that could be a problem.

"Drifting is not something that everyone can walk up to and join in on" damn straight... i dont want just anybody taken up my practice time....

using their parking lot would be a good place to learn...we could try to get that first.

does anyone know who to contact for track(parking lot) rental? or whoever we can talk to.

Comment

Insurance is expensive, keep that in mind.

Comment

^ Amen. Insurance is where it will kill you...or IRP. The fact of this matter is that your insurance is technically VOID when you enter the track premisis. This is why it's so hard to set up events. Now, if you can get IRP officials to sign a document allowing insurance waiving to the event allowing the participants the option to sign the insurance waiver or leave. Then all you have to pay for is track time and the track's insurance, what ever it may be, ie. if someone were to hit a light pole and damage it or a fence, etc, etc.

These are the biggest issues. Again, I would love to see this happen. But, seeing as I am leaving for college in 5 days, I will not be able to help in the complete organization of this. I will help any way I can though.

J

Comment

I am bringing this post back from the dead...

I am trying to do some events in Indiana this year. I want to do a drift/gymkhana skills training/open track day in the indianapolis area. I HAD a lot, but it fell through. I am working on a new venue and will post up soon. Please check out my web site for drifting news in Indiana.

www.indianadrifting.com

Comment

Working...
                              X