KA24E Timing Chain Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KA24E Timing Chain Noise

i have a '89 240SX hatch, has 180,000+ miles..the timing chain is making noise when i start the car, ive done research and some people say its the tensioner, other people say its the actual chain, any halp would be appreciated...although most of you probably swapped this engine the week after you got the car but im hoping a few of you out there stuck with it THANKS

The chain guard makes a noise too.

Comment

Hello ,once you have noise in that area you need to replace all associated components( tensioner,guides both of them and possibly the chain). Usually the chain is ok unless the motor has been adused & neglected check it for stretch or worn/bad links and check the gears for wear. Now if your guides broke(they are plastic)you need to drain the oil & get all the oil that puddles in the cyl head out,change the oil filter and blow out that tiny tiny oil feed hole for the tensioner or you will do the job twice. PEACE

Comment

Timing Chain warning

dude i just finished replacing all the timing components in my 1991 240sx and it is a pain in the *Censored**Censored**Censored*! well sorta. make sure u mark EVERYTHING under those cases. and to get the lower timing cover off you need to get the oil pan off and unbolt the oil pick-up from inside the crankshaft area. i broke mine because i didnt know that and ended with a huge setback lol. i had to send my car to a mechanic after because now my car doesnt get spark but itll turn over, it just wont fire up. so mark everything buddy!

Comment

Hello if you have a KA24D, you do not need to remove the pan,only the 4 bolt theat go threw the pan into the bottom of the front cover.Also there is no need to even touch the pick up???? If you put the engine at TDC all keyways should be at 12 O'clock iirc! but mark it anyway for insurance.Yea its a PITA cause basically you gotta rip apart the whole front of the motor.On a side note once you remove the front cover pot some rags in the pan so that when you claen the old silicone off that $h!t doesnt go in the pan .PEACE

Comment

Thanks a lot for the tips, ive been reading on a lot of sites that its just a guide that you can simply remove from the top of the engine(just remove valve cover, and remove the broken guide) oh and the engine as i stated is a KA24E not a KA24DE....thanks a bunch

Comment

Hello, WRONG, if your gonna fix the problem fix it dont put a band aid,so lets sat you cange only one guide then the other one breaks,now you gotta do it all over,and for what they cost you might as well do both while you got it open.IMO.You need to remove the front cover to gain access to the guids & the bolts that hold them & also to be able to retrive the tsnsioner plunger ,after you remove the chain.(PS) I just did mine 3 WKS ago,PEACE

Comment

You should definitely replace everything while you're in there.
                Also make sure you get the revised guide, which is a long guide rather than just the original style 2 guide pegs that wear out faster and are less dependable.

Comment

Might as well replace the engine!!! That's what I did.

Comment

Working...
                  X