No announcement yet.

A Van?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Odessey's mid-engined? I always thought they were front engine. Yeah the Previa's engine compartment with just a four-banger in it is already pretty tight. It will probably have to be extended a little ways back behind the front seats. The engine will probably also hang a little lower. Maybe that will help reduce the insane high center of gravity...

Comment

Yeah! Bench racing at it's finest!

For the record, you can build any car for $10,000

-MR

Comment

Originally posted by archer13
        Are Odessey's mid-engined? I always thought they were front engine. Yeah the Previa's engine compartment with just a four-banger in it is already pretty tight. It will probably have to be extended a little ways back behind the front seats. The engine will probably also hang a little lower. Maybe that will help reduce the insane high center of gravity...
        Odessy's are front, yes. But I was just trying to state that there is a lot of space in van engine compartments.

Comment

Yeah, I feel ya. But I bet that mid-engine van compartments are probably a lot different from front-engine van compartments as far as havin a lot of extra space goes...

Comment

I wasn't aware that Toyota made a V8. I guess that would be a truck engine then? That's cool.

I'm not really familiar with the Previa's chassis layout so correct me if I my plan is impossible but this is what I was thinking I could do to keep the Previa's passenger hauling abilities: I think that if you were to move the rear seats as far back as they would go and then take the front seat out a put in two captain chairs facing backwards (limo style) you could make a little extra room backwards to extend the engine compartment and thereby stuff a little larger, or more awkward engine into the Previa.

I once saw a Previa at a car show with an enourmous turbo riding up front under the hood. I guess there was just a lot of piping. Perhaps I could cut down on the room required in the engine compartment by storing at least the intercooler up front, and maybe even the turbos. I doubt that moving the turbos up front would make sense because then you would have to fabricate all kinds of custom pieces, but then the air has to come from somewhere anyways, so you'd have to pipe it to the engine regardless.

I've talked to a few local people about this swap and I feel that the engine at least could be squeezed into the van, no one's said anything about how the transmission would be worked out. In my head the stick comes out of the dash like it does in the Toyota Matrix. I think that would look be really cool and would also be comfortable to drive, the question is how would you get the transmission set up like that? Maybe this will be the project's stumbling block...

Comment

As far as trannies goes, are we talkin auto or stick for this?

Comment

Great information Freethinker. What a well thought out post.

I agree, whenever you can stay with the stock engine and save yourself weeks, monthes or years of headache, why change it?
                It's great for everyone to talk about building these big, technical machines but really, whats the point? You won't be able to enjoy it, even if you finish it, it wil always break something, and it's just plain too much work. the Drifting soul isn't about all this high tech crap, it's about a person, their car and going out and doing it. How can you do it if your car is in a million pieces in the garage for 10 years?

Think about it.

Comment

I also thought the Previa kept there engines under the drivers seat?? But then, since you planning to do the conversion, I guess anythings possible. Sounds like a wierd, but awesome idea. We already have Caravans with Hemi engines cooking the S*IT out of most cars. Hell, I've seen a Windstar with a '99 Cobra engine thats just plane sick =P Let us know if you go through with it. I'd love to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
                    Great information Freethinker. What a well thought out post.

I agree, whenever you can stay with the stock engine and save yourself weeks, monthes or years of headache, why change it?
                    It's great for everyone to talk about building these big, technical machines but really, whats the point? You won't be able to enjoy it, even if you finish it, it wil always break something, and it's just plain too much work. the Drifting soul isn't about all this high tech crap, it's about a person, their car and going out and doing it. How can you do it if your car is in a million pieces in the garage for 10 years?

Think about it.
                    Many reasons... Why put a body kit on a car? why put an exhuast system thats not stock on a car? why change anything with a stock car?

A) (The most common reason) Because we don't want to have the same exact car as the guy next you ya.
                    B) Because we think it would be fun just to learn about the mechanics of the car. Reverse Engineering.
                    C) Just to say we did it!
                    - or -
                    D) All of the above.

Yes, I agree. This project can and will only be a pain in the butt. But its something that as far as I know has never happened. So why pressure the guy so much? I think its kind of a cool idea. Tough, but cool. And its a great way to learn about both engines and transmissions... not to mention many other parts. And if he actually gets it done... that a hell of an accomplishment. And a hell of a van for that matter.

Comment

I think that as a general rule people are sellouts. Something cool happens and suddenly everyone else loves it and jumps on the bandwagon. I'm a sellout in that my likes and dislikes are based on what the general population is not doing. For example, if you and your friends start wearing Gap and American Eagle I'm gonna hit up the Value Village and get some old button ups. If you start wearing button ups, I'll switch to Gap hoodies and the AE t-shirts.

It's the same with cars, in my area most people like drag-racing, so I like drifting. Inside of drifting there is a lot of room for diversity. This bodes well for me, because well everyone is looking to pick up a 240sx and drop a SR20 into it, I'm looking to cram a 2JZ into a Previa.

I don't really care how long it will take to set the Previa up, it won't bother me if it spends most of it's time broken down. At the end I'll have something that no one else has, something not many people saw coming. Maybe I'll get into a magazine or something that'd be worth it...

Comment

rock on dude... rock on

Comment

You know, what you say is cool. I have no problem with that. But this is a Drifting forum is it not? Drifting is not about a car sitting in your garage. It's about Driving. I've done what you are talking about doing. I have put 400 small block in a first gen RX7, a 429CJ into a 90 Mustang and my Z car has a 302 atm. That's all well and good. But you can't drift it if you can't drive it can you?

You took things the wrong way, I am all for technical accomplishment and making something that no one else has but you posted this on a Drifting forum so you can't get upset with the replies, you or Vertigoman.

Sounds to me like you really don't like Drifting, you just like it cause everyone else likes drag racing. Then I read further and see that you really don't like Drifting since you don't care how long your car is broken down or how long it takes to build. That's not a Drifter, thats more of a show car mentality. Nothing wrong with that, maybe you just came to the wrong site. You would probably be much happier with a site that gives technical advice on show cars or race cars. I like the idea of the 2jz in the Previa but really, if you just build the stock motor and Drift it that way, you will already have something no one else in the states has right there and you can still keep it on the road. Plus you won't spend near the amount of money.

Comment

her'es encouragement for ya
                            Attached Files

Comment

ripper: That is so cool! Thanks for that, now I'm really pumped!

Ghost: It's cool that you've done a lot of unconventional engine swaps but it's not cool that you think I'm into show cars. The only reason I would go to a show is because in my area there are a lot of greasers and you usually get to see some pretty impressive mullets. I do like drifting though, maybe I gave the wrong impression with all of my minibar talk. I want to build the Previa because I believe that such a drift vehicle would have a cool kinda original feel as a drifter. Of course, I will not be without a car during the construction of the Previa. As soon as I finish writing this I plan on checking on how much it would cost to ship a 1984 Toyota Corona from BC. For me the coolest part about drifting is how it accepts diversity doesn't meen I'm gonna chrome my bumper and stuff pillows in my wheel wells. I'm not sure if I replied to all your points in a sufficient matter, if you're still wondering about something or have a complaint about the relevance of my thoughts please post again, I love debating.

Comment

Nope, no debate, I just gave you my thoughts. I love your idea of the engine swap. I'm all for it. As for feeling bad about me thinking you would be better of in a car show type of forum, don' be. There is nothing wrong with the car show scene. Matter of fact, everyone who is doing any sort of custom install on anything should check that scene out. Alot of them are very creative and some are awesome fabricators. You can learn alot in those circles and apply it to your project. You are going to need alot of technical advice, fabrication advice and general info and I was just offering you an alternative way of going about getting it because it's a litle in short supply around here. We have some trouble getting good Drifting advice so fabrication, electrical and freakishly cool, oddly paced swap info is going to be a bear.

I'll help you out however I can though and any info you might need, i'll try to find some for you. My brother is a great fabricator and usually has some good ideas about stuff so hit me up.

Comment

Working...
                                X