Power Steering Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering Question

alright, ive got an '86 SR-5 thats totally stripped and ready for a cage(i have posted pics on this site before). i have a 13b almost ready to put in. I am really considering just doing away with power steering because the car is so damn light. My question is, does anyone here drift with no power steering, or know of how common it is? need answers soon, as i am just ready to yank the lines. i am specifically concerned with how difficult itd actually be without powersteering. since the car is so light, i dont see it being too big of a problem.

Need knowledgable answers.

i don't have power steering..

it doens't cause any problems for me..

I just seem to have these huges arms now

Comment

my miata has no power steering.

if u decide to go w/o it make sure you have a non powersteering rack there is a big difference believe me. power steering racks w/ no belts on them suck compared to a non p/s rack.

hope i helped a bit.

Comment

thanks for the reply man, you helped.

Comment

Take it out. You can feel everything, having power steering leaves a buffer between you and the road. My car has power steering, my friends car doesnt.. I like it without power steering. Its not that much harder to control..

Comment

yeah, screw it. its coming out.

Comment

my cousins old old old toyota...toyota angela (i think) doesnt have power steering..and it takes me all my strength to park lol...but once u go on the highway or something..its fine

Comment

definatly when you swap or kill the power stering always use a manule box. The spline gears will be loose with out the oil on them and the wheel will have exsesive play. This will also lead to a failer of the rack and once more you will be playing with it again

Comment

thanks for the reply driftxtreem, i will deffinately be going with a manual box.

Comment

PS or no PS??

Well I have gone both wayz.
                    With powersteering and without.
                    I must say Yea you do get a WORKOUT without it and it is a little harder to hold the wheel..You also do get more of the road feel and imputs through the steeringwheel..
                    With powersteering,it will be easier to steer faster and accurately.
                    In the end,you will break less of a sweat with powersteering,but if you feel the need to work out your arms then go without it.=)
                    If "GRIP" driving, I would go without powersteering, But due to "DRIFT" conditions use PowerSteerinG!! =)
                    Last edited by JunpoweR; 02-15-2004, 09:51 AM.

Comment

My miata also doenst have power steering and for some reason it feels like you have more control over the car. If you drive stick it might be a pain in the *Censored**Censored**Censored* but you could honestly feel the differences. Now as for drifing w/out power steering. It might be a bit hard but not impossible...try it if you dont like it then just put it back.

Comment

Working...
                      X