FF drifters help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF drifters help!!

I drift FF, and have gotten decient with my technique, but the problem is I can get sideways, coutersteer correctly, and be lined up for the next curve but by that time I am doing mabey 5mph and I have lost all of my speed. how can I come out of a drift with some decient speed, giving it more gas won't help because in order to understeer the front tires so they slide along, I basically give it full throttle and spin the tires to achive a 4 wheel drift, that might be my priblem I don't know. when I an talking abou this drift I am refering to an E-brake drift, I can fient pretty well, but my suspension is too soft right now so I am just trying to get used to the E-brake drift.

Your problem is 4 wheel drifting. Scrubbing off too much speed. From what I have seen on the super FF vids on here, you cannot 4 wheel it. It's gonna be hard for you to carry your speed through more than 2 turns. You re hampered by the need for speed. No pun intended.

Comment

I had a feeling that that was my problem, thanks for your reply, I was afriad this thread would disappear without a response, I will watch more FF drifter videos and steal thier technique, I should just invest in a 240, but I am incredibly poor, any suggestions on how to get my hands on anything FR "extreamly" cheap?? like under 1K I have school to pay for too. thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by Menchi
        any suggestions on how to get my hands on anything FR "extreamly" cheap?? like under 1K I have school to pay for too. thanks for your help
        Find an oldschool Datsun like a B210 or something =) My first drift ever was in a B210 that had an open diff and house paint (complete with brush strokes). One of my friends had picked it up for $50.

Comment

I would not mind a datsun, and never even considered it, I'll check E-bay ( I don't really know anywhere else to look)

Comment

is 4 wheel drifting always going to slow you down, too much? how can you come out of a drift with some speed??

Comment

I've drifted FF before (for like 2-3 months). The problem is the entrance. On the MID-Drift. If your going too slow, while entering that turn, you'll end up with almost no speed.

Im about to tell you what I did, but I suggest you dont do it, its scared the *hell out of me, So I suggest you use this for informational purposes only!.

1) Try to enter a turn like the FEINT technique but at a higher speed. If it's a 90 degree, try about 40-60 and you have to adjust your braking point. Because you have to brake sooner than normal.

2). During the FEINT technique, when you're about to turn back to the turn you want to drift on. This is when you pull your ebrake.

(explain: Since the speed and momentum is still at a higher rate, shifting the weight from the front corner, will put stress on that particular tires, causing the front opposite tire to also loose traction which is free to TRY to get little traction, and it's less stress to the font).

Again, after doing this, It's scare the *hE ll out of me.

If you've tried this and it didn't work, It's most likely your shocks. If you feel that heavy roll, it's forcing the front to get traction and with heavy weight to where the drivetraine is the slower the response is.
              (this is why FF drift is not the choice, because you can't maintain the speed).

good luck

Comment

When I first played with the idea of drifting, it was with my '89 Buick Lesabre. Oddly, it wasn't too bad on the gravel back roads. With a foot e-brake, not useful(would stick so can't use anyways), I was forced to use feint. You can always come in hard under heavy braking, but no matter what you do, by midpoint, you've got nothing to keep you going. Out of every turn, I was going so slow.

With FF, I don't think you can get away from this. Rwd allows you to provide power through the whole drift which allows you to maintain speed. A fwd on the otherhand forces you to drift with the throttle off. Any throttle used would just slide the front end out.

The most I've ever been able to do was to provide a light amount of throttle after I slide the rear out. Basically I would feint, and when I'd turn back into the corner, I'd start applying a small amount of throttle. The strength of the feint determined how far the rear end would slide out and how long, and the throttle would control the front end. That's the only way I could actually allow myself to apply throttle. Still you lose so much speed from the slide. You just can't keep it with a fwd.

Comment

i had an ae92 and ff drifted it well (into a few mailboxes too)
                  the whole tequniq witht that car is this.

i dunno your teknikes so this is what i did
                  1. HAUL *Censored**Censored**Censored* dont be afraid they bleed off speed
                  2. do the feint (thats weight chanign one right)
                  BUT DO IT ABOUT 15 yards b4 the corner SLAM ON UR BRAKES and do your turn IN
                  and then get the car FULL LOCK oposite counter steer
                  (not so far u spin)
                  3. U SHOULD now be going sideways b4 the turn
                  5. GIVE IT FULL THROTLE enough to pull u back into the APEX of the corner
                  6.come out of the corner in one peice

its that easy dont use that ebrake non sens left foot brake
                  i could drift my FF faster then my rx-7 (but its a 1st gen)

if no one belives me let me drive your car i will show u

Comment

You crazy! lol

1 and 2 oh yeah! Your style seems to be a little different than mine...at times. Now correct me if I'm wrong. You basically drift before and right up to the apex of the turn. Then from there on out, it's grip and acceleration. Correct? You use drift to slow the car and it looks cool, but through the rest of the corner, you try to maintain/gain speed under normal driving. Is that right? Number 5 throws me off. Being fwd, throttle will make the front end slide out, unless you're turned into the corner a bit.

I do this for sharp 90 degree corners or intersections(note, gravel back road, not the middle of town ). It works well and it's fun. If you've got a good amount of speed, you can slide for a while. Slide distance is determined by speed.

Comment

Check out some old school toyotas like the old corollas, celicas, supras, or starlets. They are cheap rwd cars, or like the others said, datsuns, or older nissans, like the S12 200sx.

Comment

nope 5 makes perfect sense since a drift is basicly under steer (now tell me what a FF drive car is better at the understeer)
                        all u half to do to bring the traction back is bring wheel back to center and giver her some juice and no u are sideways b4 and all the way through the turn i ment to give it gas and bring the car from the out side (Entrance) of the corner to the inside (APEX) of the corner with the gas ans let off of it again and maybe tap the brakes and maybe put in the clutch and let it slide back out of the turn (EXit of turn) this takes the car being a full 90 degrees it does work if u can get the car straight at the end of it all (brakes and get rid of understeer)

Comment

i will draw a picture since im keyboard and gramer ilitorete

Comment

I guess my method is a little different cause my Buick is a big honkin' tank, and I'm on gravel. It's so front heavy that a lot of throttle will break the front tires loose and slide the front out more, again on gravel here. I do use some throttle when turning back into the corner when finishing off the feint. It helps throw the rear out and helps keep speed up a tad. Moving myself into the apex? Eh, a little maybe. The way the car's facing does most of it as well as starting the drift earlier and a lot of #1, lol. I just use a little bit of throttle, what I can get away with basically, through and out of the corner. I guess pavement's a little bit different. You can apply more power and the throttle would have a greater factor on car behavior than on gravel.

On my brother's Protege 5, it's a little different cause it's better balanced. His requires very little feint to get the rear end out. That and he can use a lot of throttle as you were saying to basically drive the car where you want it during a drift. You just have to have enough traction and the back has to slide around easy enough. He has a hand parking brake too which helps. He's been playing with that primarily, learning the feel of the slide. I wish he'd let me drive it, lol.

Comment

the way i do it
                              head towards corner (let's say 90 degree) drop second gear, feint out and then when turning in pull ebrake and dump clutch asnd mash all at the the same time, the MOMENT you feel the car sliding begin to counter and toggle the gas depending on what's comin up next...practice makes perfect...i've lost only abou 10mph when i do this...

Comment

Working...
                              X