begginer drifter with ?s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• begginer drifter with ?s

hey dudes...i am (as the title says) a begginer drifter. well i want to drift. however, 2F2F DID NOT INFLUENCE ME TO WANT TO DRIFT. actually i never saw it. i was in Hawaii when the big Drift event was there, and i saw the signal team and all the other drifters and i was hooked. Ok now for my ?s

1.) what do i need to look for car wise, i konw i need RWD and a manny tranny. I also know that i need some stuff for stiffening my car like strut bars and anti roll bars. what else?

2.) what is a good recommendation for a good ride, i am lookin at 240SX's and some Mazda rides.

3.) how do i go into drifting once i am ready? I mean the poping the clutch and stuff, not sure what it all means....i have been driving an auto for the last year and i hate it..

i tried drifting my current car (a 97 dodge intrepid) and it didnt work kinda tuff to do. but i did put down a pretty mean power slide lol

thx

you saw the signal auto guys? i was there. everyone is gettin good here. i guess thats why they come to hawaii allot to battle the people here. :P

as for suspension. go with some hard coilovers first. that should keep you broke for a while. :P

do some research on the cars youre lookin into. wich models come with lsd and such. drifting with lsd is way way way much easier than a car without lsd.

do you own any option video's? drift tengoku? what you could do is copy what they do in their video's. thats how i started.

i think the easiest way to start is the clutch kick. roll in second gear, turn, kick the clutch pedal in and floor it, countersteer. then try and get the car to move how you want it to. u dont have to floor the gas the whole time. different gas inputs go with different angles. its basically allot of practice. and people have said that its more feel than anything during drifting. this is totally true. i can never explain how to drift. i have to let the person ride.

the cars that you've mentioned are good. u can go with those and you should be fine. but i think you should drive them yourself and then maybe you'll decide.

hehe. sell the intrepid :P

Comment

Yeah i was in Hawaii on a Family Vacation ....(didnt spend much time with the fam, then again, who could, hrm.......family, or fast cars the stench or burnt rubber and hot women....dam tough decision) were the Signal guys driving 180SX's????, i thought they were 240's cuz i havent seen a 180 with that kind or front end

About the coil overs, any ideas on some good stiff ones????? should i go all out and score some genuine Nismo ones or something like Ground Control ones.

I dont have any real drifting videos, up here in the U.P. we dont have any places to get them i will look for some good ones on the net aka iMesh heh

i was also wondering if i need a shat load or horses or if i should start with little ponies instead

last thing is if i got a 240SX is should i make sure i can get a turbo motor...

thx

PS i just put the for sale sign in the intrepid
      Last edited by jooser; 08-10-2003, 05:59 PM.

Comment

1st and foremost, research for a manual rwd with a good 50-50 f-r weight distribution. AE86 Corollas and s13 240sxs are the most popular because they are the easiest and generally most fun and best drifters, unless you're trying to be Mr. Original.
        2nd - Limited-Slip (KAAZ 2-way if you got the $)
        3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th - tires.
        7th - chassis and suspension maintenance, stiffening, and reinforcement.
        8th - more power. I know it's tempting to move this one up to the top, but you gotta EARN this one as you get more precise. Hehe.

Remember, this is only my suggestion, and I am in no way a Pro D1 driver, so keep learning on your own.

P.S. - You got to see the Signal guys you lucky bastard... Not everyone has that chance you know.

Comment

i'll list the things you need to drift:

ok thats it.

#1 thing is practice. as your skill evolves, so can your car. its best to start out stock and learn your car. also, learn to grip. drift drivers follow grip lines. you will learn a lot about your car, racing lines, and general technique.

the signal event was mostly just for show, they werent really trying. its still awesome to see though.

Comment

I say just pick a car you like. But be sure not to listen to any of the mis-information I'm giving you right now.

Comment

Re: begginer drifter with ?s

Originally posted by jooser

what is a good recommendation for a good ride, i am lookin at some Mazda rides.

YEAH! Mazda Roadster (miata) rules! I love mine.

seriously though, you have to buy a car that you feel right in. just drive some and see what fits you the best.

ps: it does help to be RWD and manuel tranny.

Comment

Re: Re: begginer drifter with ?s

Originally posted by JonnySlick
                manuel tranny.
                is that the spanish version?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: begginer drifter with ?s

Originally posted by boro240
                  is that the spanish version?
                  i was wondering if anyone would catch that. LOL.

Comment

thx for the pointers fellas.

Comment

Working...
                    X