Road Atlanta is damn Fun, and SCARY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Atlanta is damn Fun, and SCARY

I went to Road Atlanta yesterday and spent half the day drifting. It was pretty freakin awesome. About a week ago I found out about an extreme sports/ stunt bike video producer on his way to FL from NY that wanted to get some drift video and might pass through atlanta.

I went to RA to see about renting an hour or two of time for
    yesterday but they were booked.. but the rental manager's ears perked up when I said "drifting" and "USDrift Champ" and said he'd like to give some free time there some day. Turns out they have a Slipstream/Formula Drift event scheduled for May but have never seen drifting in person and wanted to find out how/if certain turns would work for the event.

So a few days later I had Chris (video producer) call them. RA
    decided they could squeeze us in on the main track for about 20
    minutes, and then let us run on the "autocross" course in exchange for a promotional video.

So it all worked out pretty awesome. I've got a lot of footage, in-
    car, on-car, and of course external. The track there is DAMN SCARY. First we focused on 10a-10b (chicane at end of back straight). Actually that part's tame except for the huge sawtooth curbing (and desire to build up more speed on the straight than you can possibly scrub). I played around in 11 going down the hill toward the infamous turn 12, but just half speed, more choku dori style to feel it out and decided a cage was probably in order.

Then we went to 3-5 (essentially the esses), and ran that back and forth. I've drifted FAST turns before, at the VIR event I entered the drift at 90... but then slid down as things tightened up, but down though the esses is INSANE! 4th gear was required all the way through the first part. I could have really used race tires and another 50-100hp (especially up hill). And a cage would be nice to go full out. I had a couple tense moments, like when going the reverse direction in five, sliding wide and barley keeping my inside tires on the outside curb just a few feet from the wall, or when overotating after the bottom of the esses and going backwards across the track and stopping ~6 ft from the wall. Phew... FUN!

Then they gave me free reign on the gokart track until close. It's a sloped, very twisty, very narrow, multi-configuration course. That was fun but really too tight/narrow for an event. Still great to practice on and I also blasted around the skidpad (outside of the sealed area)... made for some cool shots because of the sheer sustained speed and smoke.

The track managment was very excited and pleased and I gave some of them rides. Burned through half a tank of gas and 4+ tires and today my shoulders and chest are sore from the harness and steering work. That's never happened before and the in-car footage showed a whirlwind of activity on the small track. Next meet I'll bring the new footage, but unfortunately this stuff doesn't have a cute girl making orgasmic utterances.

-Tony
    Last edited by foilman; 12-12-2003, 08:53 PM.

WOW those tightass's at RA let you drift there???? AWESOME!!!!. An event huh? Pretty damm cool. Glad to see that they are letting the old iron curtain down.

I saw the Cannonball come through there couple years back and that was pretty cool. Got my hero Brock Yates autograph and a photo op with him. Great time. I'll be there in may for sure.

Great story. I want to see that video toot sweet.

Comment

yeah! post a link to the vids!!

man, that sounds like fun.....that course is pretty crazy then, huh. it looks like when i watch the tourning car races on it and stuff like that on speed channel.

about the go-kart track, is it possible to drift an actual go-kart? like feint it or something?

Comment

Originally posted by SilverGhost
        yeah! post a link to the vids!!
        It will be a while, if ever. I have a crap computer (roommate's actualy) and it doesn't even have firewire. Plus, the producer technically owns most of the footage and plans to use it as part of a DVD and I need to check with him before I step on his toes. But here is something to tide you over... it's most my hightlights from the past season and has the Team Orange/Drift Xtreme drivers at the end. WARNING, it's 42MB. I never got around to cutting it down, adding text, etc, but probably won't either.

http://www.joesvideos.com/tony/Drift...chulz-divx.avi

and if you need the codec to see:
        http://download.divx.com/divx/DivX511Bundle.exe

about the go-kart track, is it possible to drift an actual go-kart? like feint it or something?
        Sure, especialy if you have a powerfull one... ever seen that gixxerkart video. Plus they have a solid rear axle, and often just rear brakes which you can use like an e-brake. They scrub speed much faster though when sideways. But I didn't have a kart at RA, was on that track with my car too, which is just a little shorter than the track is wide. It's so tight and twisty you can drift continously, lots of feint and ebrake, keeps the hands extremely busy.

Comment

this is in atl?

Comment

and if so how can people go there will they let people rent it.

Comment

Yes, Road Atlanta is essentially in ATL... technically Braselton, about 45 miles up I85. It's very expensive to rent the track there, at least for a full day. I never got as far as discussing an hourly rate and I don't think they're exactly up to renting the track out specifically for drifting outside of a sanctioned event. It's a pretty dangerous track with all the elevation changes and lack of run-off. Better chance they'd go for the go kart track, but as I said, it is very tight and narrow.

for more info: http://www.roadatlanta.com

Comment

Foilman do you live or work in or around marietta? I coulda swore I saw you (or should I say your car) rollin down Terrell Mill Rd. maybe a week or two ago.

Comment

foilman, i knew you had your normal car out there on the go-kart track, i was just wondering if i could go to a go-kart place arouns here and take one of the karts sideways....lol

what kind of car were you out on RA with?

Comment

Two in one...

Foilman do you live or work in or around marietta? I coulda swore I saw you (or should I say your car) rollin down Terrell Mill Rd. maybe a week or two ago.
                    Yep, work in Marietta, just off Cobb Prkwy, near Windy Hill. I don't normaly drive the car to work anymore, but my daily driver needs brakes and I'm that poor. Usualy you'll see a faded-red, stock '89 S13 hatchback.

what kind of car were you out on RA with?
                    Same car as in that video... black '96 240SX with a KA-T. Actually two clips in there are me driving my friend's SR powered car that looks slightly different... owe Brandon Hampton big thanks for bailing me out at two different events when my car broke... sharp eyed/eared people would catch it.

Comment

Hey Foil. My brother has a shop out in Conyers and he can get all sorts of stuff for 240's. Makes manifolds for RB's, SR's, Brake set ups, makes intercoolers. He made the intercoolers for Unstable Hybrids for a bit. Makes all kinds of stuff. Name of the shop is Tophat Performance. His name is Mike. You might know him. We just got his RB20 back in his 240. It's gonna be bad. But he can do al sorts of stuff, Powdercoat, Ceramic coat and just about everything.

Tophat performance.

He might have some stuff you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
                        Hey Foil. My brother has a shop out in Conyers and he can get all sorts of stuff for 240's. His name is Mike. You might know him.
                        Yeah, I know mike very well. Almost took a job working with him at Autozone. Tell him HI! and show him the video... he wanted to see some of it but I only bump into him now and then when I buy parts, or when he stops by UH and then leaves in 2 minutes.

Comment

THat's funny. AFter watching the video, I know you are the guy he's been ranting about. That's cool. I need to meet you. You can show me some moves. I need to learn from you it looks like. Let's meet up.

Comment

Yep, work in Marietta, just off Cobb Prkwy, near Windy Hill. I don't normally drive the car to work anymore, but my daily driver needs brakes and I'm that poor. Usualy you'll see a faded-red, stock '89 S13 hatchback.
                            Yeah I thought that was you. I remember your drift car from the nopi exhibition they put on. I work at the emissions station right on the corner across the street from Pugmire Isuzu. Small world ain't it?

Comment

hey i dont understand why we all cant meet and kill some corners.i would very much like to drift with both of you fellows.i say that some drifters from the atl area meet up already.

Comment

Working...
                              X