ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I believe import cars are profiled by police...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I believe import cars are profiled by police...

Last night several friends and I went to the local Sheetz (about 10-15 miles from where I live) for a car-guy meet up. One the way home I was pulled over on the interstate in WV, .5 miles from the KY border (where I live). I pulled over and upon the officer approaching my car, he immediately asked for liscense, registration and proof of insurance. When I presented them to him, he said "I'll be back in a few" and returned to the cruiser. Notice he forgot to mention why I was pulled over, ask where I was going, etc. 30-40 minutes later he returns to my car with a citation already written out, hands me my information back and asks me to sign the citation. I asked "Umm, why did you pull me over?" He replied "well, you have blueish lights on your liscense plate, those are illegal in WV." I replied "They are hyper white LEDs, which are legal in KY so it's not a problem." He replied "But they are illegal in WV." I replied "I don't live in WV, my car isn't registered or liscensed here so why can I not have something that is legal where I live?" So things went on and on and on until I asked "So what do I need to do next time I come to WV?" He replied "You need to put tape over them so they don't shine." I said "but then you can pull me over for no liscense plate lights." The answer I got was "Well, I need you to sign this citation, here's the day you have to be in court and show that you changed those bulbs. Please sign this." So I could either sign the citation or refuse and go to jail. So I signed it and went on about my way. Does any of this sound legal or right to anyone else?

Yes this is legal.

The police officer does not have to say anything when he approaches the car. if you ask, he can give you an answer (which he did). Arguing vehicle code with a police officer on site is usually not a good idea. Many officers aren't well-versed in the vehicle code, and you're better off discussing vehicle code in a court of law in front of a judge with printed copies of vehicle code as well as any proof of legitimacy of the product in question.

You can probably get this thrown out or written off. Your best bet during the stop is to be polite, answer questions when appropriate, be as professional and cordial as possible.

Signing the ticket just states that you will take care of the ticket on or before the dated court appearance. It's a release on your own recognizance, not an admission of guilt.

Comment

I was very nice and polite with the officer, I just feel like he pulled me over because of my car and then it took him 30 minutes to find something. Why should my car, which is completely legal in the state I live in, have to meet the requirements of another state I just happen to be passing through? That would be like me driving to Cali and getting a ticket for my intake because it's not CARB exempt.

Comment

If I like to poop on the floor in my house does it make it right for me to poop on the floor at yours?

100% legal, but if a cop pulls you over and you ask him why he did before giving you his information he will tell you.

Consider that even though he has a job the cop has a conscious as well, easier to write a ticket and let you on your way then to argue let his conscious kick in and let you go.

Not a big deal broseph, pop the lights out...put some stock ish in and go on your way.

Comment

The point I am trying to make is why should I have to change something on my car that I like and is completely legal?

Comment

Because they were not legal in the state you were driving in at that moment. Like I said, Can I poop on the floor at your house?

Comment

It's legal to have sex with a 14 y/o in Albania, does that mean we should be able to do that here?

You also didn't describe why you believe import cars are profiled by police but you sure did make it very clear...

Comment

I believe I was targeted because of driving a import because that same night while I was at Sheetz, I saw two Mustangs, one with blue neons and the other with red neons, and a Harley with the blue led kit on the engine go by. There was a police officer parked there watching traffic and he did nothing. The area I live in is really bad for imports. Stuff like a mild cat-back exhaust will get you pulled over and harassed (usually they want to search your car), but if you drive a big jacked up super loud straight pipe truck or a Harley, you can get away with murder.

Comment

I talked to a Kentucky State Police officer I work out with today and he told me the cop had to be looking for something to pull me over for. He told me to just put my stocks ones back in, go over there and show them that, then come home and put the others back in. This wouldnt have aggravated me as bad if I had gotten pulled over for something that really matters. If I was a cop, I wouldn't have wasted my time or effort on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bebop View Post
                    If I like to poop on the floor in my house does it make it right for me to poop on the floor at yours?

100% legal, but if a cop pulls you over and you ask him why he did before giving you his information he will tell you.

Consider that even though he has a job the cop has a conscious as well, easier to write a ticket and let you on your way then to argue let his conscious kick in and let you go.

Not a big deal broseph, pop the lights out...put some stock ish in and go on your way.
                    I agree to a degree with you. He still could have said why he got pulled over and gotten his story before writing a ticket out before letting him speak. Maybe he would have just let him go with a "now you know" and called it a night. Ive heard of stories like this near where i live. Fds getting pulled over by the airport on another forum. i think it was about ride hight. different situation i guess.

Idk about that state but in sf you get fix it tickets for light related stuff and tinted windows. Even though it doesnt cost money (depending on what) its still pretty annoying to have to go to court for something so simple.

Please dont poop on anyones floor! Lol

Why did you change your name?
                    Last edited by Linguo415; 02-19-2011, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linguo415 View Post
                      I agree to a degree with you. He still could have said...
                      Neither of you guys seem to be getting it.

I'm not stupid enough to believe this local meet-up at Sheetz is totally innocent. I've been a part of a LOT of meets and none of them ever are. If you want to include yourself in these meets where people are blasting music, doing burnouts and donuts and then hitting the streets to race, you better believe you're going to get harassed even if you did nothing wrong(this time).

The cop is just out doing his job and when you make his job harder, he's going to make your life harder. It comes with the territory. If you can't accept that fact, you don't belong at these meets.

Comment

Oh I get it. Its illegal. I just dont fully agree. I agree with the meet part though. Ofcours thats asking for trouble. If thats what was up than sure that makes sence. Whatevs. Some will agree others wont.

Comment

damn, just relax man... listen to Dave Chapelle... if you wear a whores uniform... I'm gonna think your a whore.... Do those lights make your car faster? Handle better? PFFFFFT... then why the hell did you waste money on that junk? so the cameras can see your plate better?
                          You whine like a little kid... oh wait, maybe you are a little kid. GROW UP MAN... learn how to play the game with the men in blue.

Comment

^"Run *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* get some help!" Lol ^ Hes got a point. Why did you mod the L's plate lights of all things? Lol

Comment

1.) When my friends and I make a Sheetz run/meet, we go for the food. I love the hot dogs which I get with slaw, bacon, cheese, sauce, mustard and jalapeneos. We don't do anything stupid because the local cops are really cool with a group of us hanging out and we don't want to mess that up. They said they would rather us just park and chill than be out running around. We have never done a single burnout, raced, blasted music or anything of the such. We usually just chill, eat and shoot the sh-t. We've actually all grown out of our dumb kid phase.
                              2.) I didn't mod my liscense plate lights. One of them burned out and I replaced them. The LED lights I put in are simple plug in. They look alot brighter and crisper than normal bulbs do. I liked them so much I replaced the marker bulbs in my headlights with them to.
                              3.) I actually talked to the local chief of police (who owns the gym I go to) in my state about this on Saturday. He said that only one cop in WV does this (he even quoted the guys name and how he looked to me spot on.)

Comment

Working...
                              X