SPECIAL THANKS FROM MOVIECARZ from FF3 set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
    I dont understand why someone can't buy these non-street-legal cars and store them on private property and race them on private tracks. I can understand this stuff if people intend to drive them on the street, but if the cars were for track only, I imagine they would be treated just like any other form of personal property. I know here in Hawaii you cant register cars from Japan for street driving, but you can own them and use them on the track (transported on a trailer).

Liability, too.

Most of these cars were stunted.

Imagine this: your buddy borrows a wheel off your "stored on private property movie car."

The wheel has a microscopic crack...or maybe it doesn't.

Your buddy goes drifting in the car and a wheel fails, he crashes, someone is injured.

There would be a huge lawsuit claiming the Universal allowed damaged car parts to circulate freely.

Its' not worth it. Its smart on Universal's part, IMHO. Those cars and parts should never see the light of day again.

Comment

• Vipers are in the movie too. (No pics though)
      http://i-supra.com/groupee/forums/a/...1/m/4351090081

Comment

• You guys cant be serious. Hahaha!! Its not impossible to save those cars. When anyone buys a used car it is sold as-is. I dont know the law regarding liability, but if there is an issue then Universal could have release forms for people to sign. If Universal wanted to save these cars, I know they could. They just dont care, plain and simple. In any event, if I had a buddy that bought something and crashed and tried to sue the people he bought it from I would call him a gayball and punch him in the face. Hahahahah!!!
        Last edited by CrazyHawaiian; 11-07-2005, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
          You guys cant be serious. Hahaha!! Its not impossible to save those cars. When anyone buys a used car it is sold as-is. I dont know the law regarding liability, but if there is an issue then Universal could have release forms for people to sign. If Universal wanted to save these cars, I know they could. They just dont care, plain and simple. In any event, if I had a buddy that bought something and crashed and tried to sue the people he bought it from I would call him a gayball and punch him in the face. Hahahahah!!!
          LOL...I'd love to see such a case in court....

"Your honor, my son is paralyzed because Universal sold a part that had been on a car that jumped a bridge. The part had microscopic stress cracks that led to a radical failure due to metal fatigue. They should be held accountable."

Universal's attorney: "Your honor...we object. The plaintiff is a gayball."

Obviously, in today's litigious society, companies need to protect themselves. But for people like you and me (who just cringe at the thought of cool cars being destroyed), it's a bitter pill to swallow.

Comment

• LOL that would be halarious.

Universal's attorney: "Your honor...we object. The plaintiff is a gayball."

Judge: "Case dismissed you gayballs!"

Comment

• wasnt there a r34 jump car for sale on ebay not to long ago??

Comment

• that R34 on EBAY was being sold by the winner of the give away contest. It had no corelation to the movie.

Comment

• Now, in Canada we're allowed to import anything 15 years or older and drive it legally on the road provided they pass a mechanical inspection, basically if everything works properly, we're good to go. I also know that anything newer than 15 years can be brought in if it's registered solely as a track car.

I'm quite certain that the case is very similar in the States. For instance, cars designated as "racing purposes only" (or something to that effect) are exempt from all emmissions and highway safety requirements. They are, however, subject to any rules or regulations a racing series and/or facilities impose upon the participating vehicles. Read up on your national importation laws people and figure out a way to save those cars!

If the bean counters at Universal had any brains they'd realize that donating these cars to racing schools and whatnot would actually be cheaper than having them crushed. Hell, if they had them registered as racecars and sold them to privateer crews they'd make more money than if they simply crushed them. As to stressed parts from stunts, waivers and bills of sale that read "as is" solve that problem. Anybody who races these cars is going to have to bring them up to spec anyway.

B-Wurm

Comment

• Originally posted by Buddyworm
                    If the bean counters at Universal had any brains they'd realize that donating these cars to racing schools and whatnot would actually be cheaper than having them crushed. Hell, if they had them registered as racecars and sold them to privateer crews they'd make more money than if they simply crushed them. As to stressed parts from stunts, waivers and bills of sale that read "as is" solve that problem. Anybody who races these cars is going to have to bring them up to spec anyway.

B-Wurm
                    Universal CAN'T donate the cars even if they wanted to..DOT wont let them, its either export them back or crush them. The government didn't give Universal any other choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by MonkeySlide
                      Universal CAN'T donate the cars even if they wanted to..DOT wont let them, its either export them back or crush them. The government didn't give Universal any other choice.

DOT governs vehicles intended for transportation of people, goods through public roadways, airways, railways and waterways. If these cars are registered specifically as racecars they aren't subject to the same restrictions as street driven cars. Grand Touring Prototypes are definately not street legal, yet they reside in America. I know for a fact there are rally Evolutions and WRX that did not meet requirements to be driven on public roads yet still reside inside the US, specifically because they are not street driven and are thus not required to meet the same requirements street legal vehicles face.

"cars designated as "racing purposes only" (or something to that effect) are exempt from all emmissions and highway safety requirements."

What I'm not sure on is wether the cars have to be imported specifically for racing puproses or if a car can be imported for another reason, then made into a racecar.

B-Wurm
                      Last edited by Buddyworm; 11-08-2005, 06:58 PM.

Comment

"cars designated as "racing purposes only" (or something to that effect) are exempt from all emmissions and highway safety requirements."

What I'm not sure on is wether the cars have to be imported specifically for racing puproses or if a car can be imported for another reason, then made into a racecar.
                        i can help you with that.

The "crush or export" law is a condition of the import regulations. If you don't agree to it, then they reject your container at the port, and you're stuck with the shipping fees and no car.

if you skip town with the car, or go MIA with the car (and don't provide proof of crushing / export), the government comes after you.

simple as that.

it has little to do with DOT. All of the cars which are brought over here aren't street legal / DOT legal anyways, and can be immediately seized / impounded if they are seen on the streets.

Comment

• Ah, so what they SHOULD have done then is expressely imported the cars for racing purposes then sold them off as racecars after the movie instead of being a bunch of tight fisted wankers and crushing them instead of doing something GOOD with them.

B-Wurm

Comment

Ah, so what they SHOULD have done then is expressely imported the cars for racing purposes then sold them off as racecars after the movie instead of being a bunch of tight fisted wankers and crushing them instead of doing something GOOD with them.

B-Wurm
                            it doesn't matter what you tell customs its for. if you import it, you have 3 options:
                            - legalize it
                            - export it back
                            - crush it

most cars are here for a maximum stay of a year. that's why robbie nishida couldn't drive the k-truck for the rest of the FD season - it HAD to be shipped back, or crushed. now that it went back, it's back over here...

do you know of any of these 'grand touring' prototypes which were imported over here and are still here now? after more than 12 months?

Comment

• Must be some sort of Cali law or something. Here in Hawaii (which is still the USA) we can have imported cars from Japan that can be used on the track only or in car shows only, not street driven, not legalized for street driving, not sent back, and not crushed. You have to pay an insane duty tax (150%?) These are people that have lived in Japan for 10 years telling me this, I have never tried this myself so I dont know all the legalities. But the thing is, not many people do it this way because they want to be able to drive the car on the street. We only have 1 track on this island and its not that great, people want to enjoy their cars in more than 1 place. So the majority of the guys here will take a street legal USA chassis and modify it to Japan spec, some even as far as to convert to RHD.

Comment

• Nope. Not a Cali only law. More like a lack of enforcement in other states...

Comment

Working...
                                X