Porsche 944

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porsche 944

Is a Porsche 944 good for drifting? I have been seriously thinking about purchasing one. Is there anything I should know? thx

!

they put a lancer engine in one but other than that i dunno kinda has the same thing as the mr2 doesnt it ? squirley

Comment

well

"They" put Chevy 350 small blocks in the car too.. does anyone own a 944?

Comment

I would stick with the stock motor, it has enough power. If you want more power later, just install the turbo motor, which I'm fairly sure can be done with not too much effort. The handling on the car bone stock is pretty neutral, but it has the right setup so I would imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to drift.

Comment

first off....why would you have to replace the whole motor for one with turbo...couldnt you just get the manifold and the turbins and the setup and install that on the n/a motor?

second....i would think that a porsche of any kind would be expensive to drift, because you will break stuff, and if memory serves, porsches are expensive to fix. other than that, i see no problem

Comment

Turbo motor and N/A motor aren't the same displacement and I'm not sure the parts would fit.

944's are not expensive, if you're gonna do it you should buy a driver and a parts car. I looked into getting a 944 before I was into drifting.

Comment

oh yeah, i know they are cheap to buy, but to get parts for when stff breaks must be expensive. or more so than like my 240 or a domestic

Comment

True, no matter what year, Porsche parts will always be expensive.

Comment

porsche 944

The Porsche 944 motor is expensive, hence the reason I want a Porsche 944 with a Chevy LT5 motor - I make a lot of money so i dont care about expensive parts.

Comment

The first car I ever owned was actually a 1986 Porsche 924, the N/A 4 with an Auto (got it at an auction for $1800!). At the time I was not into drifting, but my opinion on the car after some spirited driving is that it is very neutral and light. It would be a great drift car with more power. The only downfall I found was the transmission. The auto is a transverse-axle design making is very weak and very expensive to fix/replace. I dont know how this would apply to the 5 speed, but definately look into it if you are going to buy. Heck if you plan on swapping a LT5 Chevy mtor in there, I'm guessing you will be using a chevy drivetrain as well (T56, 12 bolt?) so it wouldnt matter. But honestly, if you have that much $$ to blow, I say buy the highest model turbo Porsche you can afford and leave the motor/drivetrain stock. Crazy motor swaps sound cool, but from my experience there are ALWAYS little issues that you cant fix or track down. Plus the heavier LT5 will throw the weight distribution way off. Porsche cars are all good drift cars from the factory because they are all roadrace oriented (very neutral suspension, and good even weight distribution), and the stock turbo models make a good ammount of power. I would say a stock 911 turbo would be an awesome drift car with the right tires. Maybe buy the 944 as your practice/learning car, so if you wreck its not the end of the world. Then later on when you feel confident in your drifting abilities, buy a 911? Just an idea ....
                    Last edited by CrazyHawaiian; 12-11-2003, 01:03 AM.

Comment

944 n/a are very expensive to convert to turbo its just easier to buy the 944 T motor. I have a friend who scca's his 944T, and it is very fast. The car handles well and the weight balance is close to 50/50 i believe. chck out speedforeceracing.com Parts of course on a porsche are very expensive so GL with that. especially an older one. His car with a few mods like exhaust, motorcycle battery(for weight), fly wheel, clutch, BOV, and new basic parts, beats the CRAP outta my 350. I love his car.

Comment

link

hey dude that link is broken, i believe

Comment

ya my pops had a 944 turbo like 12 years ago, i remember it was really expensive either way. to work on the car u need special tools which were really expensive. but we still have thoughs tools. i guess i couldn't really say much as im learning about it just as much as u.

Comment

Working...
                          X