No announcement yet.

Ask FORMULA D Something!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got one....Do you guys know what part of PBIR you are using for the FD course? Just curious? If the grid started right after turn 3 the drivers could get high speed entry down the straight into turn 4 and sweep with much smoke around turn 5!! Or maybe run the opposite direction would be cool (straight from 6 sweep around 5 and finish around 4) ..Hmmm Just sayin'
    I believe we are doing what you are saying but opposite. Looking at the diagram now (because it has changed) the turn 3 complex area is where we initially set the track so it could be viewed by all.

Comment

• Awesome! I was close! Great minds think alike Wish I could make it.

Comment

• I have an idea that would totally suck for the spirit of anything goes on race day but totally take Formula D to the next level from a marketing perspective. have you given the thought to giving the top 8 drivers from the previous season a contracted permanent spot in the top 32 for all rounds for the following season? Non contracted drivers would then vie for the remaining 24 spots each round. Having permanent markee drivers representing Formula D, at least for one season would be easier to market and you avoid having a situation were last years champ doesn't get to perform for his fans in round 1.

Is it fair to the spirit of competition? Some might say no
        Will it bring more big name non endimic sponsors to the sport that are guaranteed more return on their investment? Yeah
        Will it bring some of the attention off of the single season winner, and give fans 8 drivers/cars/teams to focus their attention on? Yeah
        Is this idea just making official what D-1 has been doing for years through corruption? Yeah

What do you think?

Comment

• Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post
          I have an idea that would totally suck for the spirit of anything goes on race day but totally take Formula D to the next level from a marketing perspective. have you given the thought to giving the top 8 drivers from the previous season a contracted permanent spot in the top 32 for all rounds for the following season? Non contracted drivers would then vie for the remaining 24 spots each round. Having permanent markee drivers representing Formula D, at least for one season would be easier to market and you avoid having a situation were last years champ doesn't get to perform for his fans in round 1.
          The only way I see that working is if FD it self actually paid the contracted drivers. And that's major controversy on both sides.... a driver can just have a really good season just to get the contract and compete half *Censored**Censored**Censored* the following year...depending how much they paid him.

Sunpros signs some of the top drivers to deals that have to do with the publication and the DVDs. But they also developed a new bracket that keeps the top 8 or 10 drivers in the top 16 and make the other top 16 unseeded drivers battle in tandem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bebop View Post
            The only way I see that working is if FD it self actually paid the contracted drivers. And that's major controversy on both sides.... a driver can just have a really good season just to get the contract and compete half *Censored**Censored**Censored* the following year...depending how much they paid him.

Sunpros signs some of the top drivers to deals that have to do with the publication and the DVDs. But they also developed a new bracket that keeps the top 8 or 10 drivers in the top 16 and make the other top 16 unseeded drivers battle in tandem.
            On the other foot maybe the contracted drivers will go all out in qualifying, knowing their top 32 spot is gauranteed.

That's what I'm talking about. Brand identification. Sell us 8 drivers and the battle for their spots. Drifting needs to take the spot light off of number 1.

Comment

• I have an idea that would totally suck for the spirit of anything goes on race day but totally take Formula D to the next level from a marketing perspective. have you given the thought to giving the top 8 drivers from the previous season a contracted permanent spot in the top 32 for all rounds for the following season? Non contracted drivers would then vie for the remaining 24 spots each round. Having permanent markee drivers representing Formula D, at least for one season would be easier to market and you avoid having a situation were last years champ doesn't get to perform for his fans in round 1.

Is it fair to the spirit of competition? Some might say no
              Will it bring more big name non endimic sponsors to the sport that are guaranteed more return on their investment? Yeah
              Will it bring some of the attention off of the single season winner, and give fans 8 drivers/cars/teams to focus their attention on? Yeah
              Is this idea just making official what D-1 has been doing for years through corruption? Yeah

What do you think?
              We did at one point have a seeded system, similar to the one you comment on. I believe we went away from that because it was not the essence of competition that the body consensus was looking for and also because the seeding was done within the encapsulation of a Top 16 competition, whereas we have 32 spots now. I believe it is in that pure essence I mention that you will find the best competition, the best show, which is part of what we market and sell. Though it's not ideal to have your top ranked drivers miss out on the top 32, I believe in the case that does happen, it opens the doors for others to shine and create opportunity for themselves. I think an example of this occurred at Long Beach.

I can see the sense of your "marketing" implications, but I am not sure that is an area where we lack or that it will do anything to guarantee or even provoke non-endemic support. I believe sponsors of top drivers don't often think, "what if my guy doesn't make it to top 32." If they do, in their minds, it is probably a low probability possibility at best. I believe the fight for top 32, at least at this point, pushes to people to fight as hard as they can for one of the 32 spots. In addition, the incentive to driv your hardest in qualifying has been magnified by the fact that top qualifying points are so high for 1-3 spot. Qualifying points now play a huge roll in a championship run. Finally, it was pointed out by Tony Angelo that the LB point spread in qualifying (due to the new judging system) was very small. It is, or seems to me, to be a better or more true representation of the top 32 drivers for any given weekend

Great question! Keep them coming

Comment

• Originally posted by Formula D View Post
                We did at one point have a seeded system, similar to the one you comment on. I believe we went away from that because it was not the essence of competition that the body consensus was looking for and also because the seeding was done within the encapsulation of a Top 16 competition, whereas we have 32 spots now. I believe it is in that pure essence I mention that you will find the best competition, the best show, which is part of what we market and sell. Though it's not ideal to have your top ranked drivers miss out on the top 32, I believe in the case that does happen, it opens the doors for others to shine and create opportunity for themselves. I think an example of this occurred at Long Beach.

I can see the sense of your "marketing" implications, but I am not sure that is an area where we lack or that it will do anything to guarantee or even provoke non-endemic support. I believe sponsors of top drivers don't often think, "what if my guy doesn't make it to top 32." If they do, in their minds, it is probably a low probability possibility at best. I believe the fight for top 32, at least at this point, pushes to people to fight as hard as they can for one of the 32 spots. In addition, the incentive to driv your hardest in qualifying has been magnified by the fact that top qualifying points are so high for 1-3 spot. Qualifying points now play a huge roll in a championship run. Finally, it was pointed out by Tony Angelo that the LB point spread in qualifying (due to the new judging system) was very small. It is, or seems to me, to be a better or more true representation of the top 32 drivers for any given weekend

Great question! Keep them coming
                Thanks for the thoughtful response.

Comment

Working...
                X