FORMULA DRIFT And Its Future, My View

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by senorchase View Post
    Does anyone notice the fact that this article is from last year!!?? Outdated!! Cars have already changed and moved up like turek in the camero. Ask the drivers why they change... its expensive ... sponsers want to be consistently in top 16 .. that means a larger motor. Bottom line is if you can drive your going to work your way up. I remember watching turek Forsberg jr jtp powers gushi all in there rookie cars ... since then thy have all moved up to be in the top 10 in FD.
    did you even read the post before yours?

Comment

Originally posted by Bebop View Post
      Didn't Forsberg finish 04 (inaugural season) in 3rd?
      Yup. I think Forsberg has finished in the top 5 / top 10 more than any other driver, the sole exception being in 2006 when he debuted the v8 350z vert which was a very 'wild' build at the time. Interestingly enough, it's pretty much the standard now.

Comment

Formula D will finally realize that outside clips and no passing rules suck and more action will look like the second run of this but smoother because the drivers are pros and will adapt.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MVFZV8BaClo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
        Last edited by my 1 88 u; 09-05-2011, 06:21 AM.

Comment

JRod - "uhhhh what is that"

That's entertaining tandem, you know....before FD came along? lol

I don't see FD really making any changes unless the tickets stop selling and people start loosing interest . I don't see that happening anytime soon though. Until then it will be remain a team/driver influenced series.
          Last edited by Bebop; 09-05-2011, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I don't think it was outside clipping zones that made anything boring. In this instance, Conrad didn't follow the lead car, as is stated that you are supposed to do. But, I have to tell you, I think that Conrad/Gushi battle should have gone OMT. As far as being "team/driver influenced series," I can't totally disagree with that, but currently that is what is bringing in fans and Formula Drift has had oversold events this year. If it's successful, why hate it?

As far as a changes in my opinion, it hasn't. Falken started to gain a dominance, but since the tire rule was adjusted, it's starting to fade. Currently, they do lead the points with a 1, 2, 3, but with points as tight as they are, that could change and we could end up with Forsberg or even Grunewald as the 2011 champion. Crazier has happened and it did happen this year with Vaughn Gittin, Jr.

Monster Energy still only has JR and NOS Energy dominates advertising, yet it's a guy who drinks 5 Hour Energy and isn't even sponsored by them that is in the lead in points, Daijiro Yoshihara. Need for Speed is all over JR and Formula Drift, yet none of the drivers are leading points. There is still no big corporate conspiracy.

While V8s are leading the way, when was the last time we had this tight of a points battle in Formula Drift? We are also starting to see a variety with GM, Ford, and Nissan represented in the Top 5 in points. I would, however, like to see more variety, but some rookies are going for different types of V8s, like Ryan Kado with a Nissan V8 and a XDC guy going with a Mopar V8 that I hope will get a chance in FD, so sooner than later I think there will be a nice variety represented in FD that isn't factory backed.

To quote myself:
            "So, in closing, I see Formula Drift getting better and more fan oriented. It will become more exciting, faster, with bigger, deeper angles. Cars, at the same time, will become wilder, safer, and more advanced in their builds. FD will grow and advance, just as it is doing now. The cars in the future of FD will be far different than what we are seeing now, and it will be because they will need to. The (drifting hipster) of today, however, will still be disgruntled."

Stay tuned, people, this final round is about to get exciting!

Comment

FD still hasn't found consistency in tandem action. Most battle are still contested in a 2+ car proximity, well unless its a ASD vs ASD or 2 non V8 guys going toe to toe with an exception of the resurgence of Rhys Millen (then again hes pushing 700HP). The sport has become more of a game of HORSE then a dog fight. Until every battle in the Top 16 is contested within in a 1- car length proximity its not on the Japanese level and in my opinion not entertaining. If you find that exciting more power to you though.

And seriously where is your basis of the term Hipster? Do you know what a Hipster is?!?!? In the world of drifting I consider my self a Right Wing Conservative Christian, if the Japanese aint doing it its WRONG! LOL a bit of a exageration but I do highly respect and lean towards the traditional aspects of drifting which obviously isn't FD. So if you really look at..... I mean really look at it, from some of the staff down to the dudes in media the "progressive" FD is definitly the Hipster side of the sport physically and ideologically.

Break out the Pabst Blue Ribbon and SEND IT!
              Last edited by Bebop; 09-05-2011, 12:21 PM.

Comment

And seriously where is your basis of the term Hipster? Do you know what a Hipster is?!?!? In the world of drifting I consider my self a Right Wing Conservative Christian, if the Japanese aint doing it its WRONG! LOL a bit of a exageration but I do highly respect and lean towards the traditional aspects of drifting which obviously isn't FD. So if you really look at..... I mean really look at it, from some of the staff down to the dudes in media the "progressive" FD is definitly the Hipster side of the sport physically and ideologically.

Break out the Pabst Blue Ribbon and SEND IT!
                LOL, anyway, I use the term hipster under the "I was into it before it was popular" attitude that a lot of the people who despise FD (but love anything Keiichi Tsuchiya or D1 does) yet still watch and complain. Don't get me wrong, they have every right to, but that also gives me the right to call them hipsters. Plus, it doesn't help that a vast majority of them do wear the girl-tight jeans, too!

Maybe I need to come up with a better term for them.

Comment

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster

I think "Drift Hipster" is a good term to describe a FD associate.

I wouldn't mind the term "Drift Bible Hugger" even though I hate KT.

But yeah, there's tons of tight jean retro shirt wearing folks around the FD paddock talking about drifting progression. I wear a suit and tie 4 days out the week....and run with the freaks lol.

Comment

D1 doesn't allow passing anyway so why do you guys want it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny Fonseca View Post
                      D1 doesn't allow passing anyway so why do you guys want it?

Uhhh since when? If the lead driver washes out the chaser can overtake.

Passing is what ever, closer battles is what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
                        blah blah blah

As far as a changes in my opinion, it hasn't.

blah blah blah
                        When did you go to your first Formula D event? 2009? You haven't been around long enough to see it change. Several people on this board were around to see Drift Showoff in the parking lot at Irwindale, and later the first ever D1GP USA back in 2003. Yes, some of the tandem battles are very close, but I also agree that outside clipping points are making some of the battles less interesting (Vegas being one of those tracks). Drivers who take the outside / high bank line would get more points, but if someone wants to take the inside line and go for the pass, I say let them. Just have the caveat that a pass doesn't mean an automatic win (a la D1) and you'll be fine. Watching D-mac's nimble Corolla make passes at the D1 All Star battle in 2006 at Irwindale were some of the most exciting tandems I have seen. But watching Rhys cut corners in Sonoma to try and pass back in 2006 also reminded me why FD had to implement the no passing rule. I think the rule could be modified so that passing can only be allowed after the first clipping point after the big entry sweeper. At Irwindale, allow people to try and pass on the inner bank, or in Seattle, allow people to try and pass after the 'power alley'. Still require people to take the outside / high line in the fastest part of the track, but allow some options on some of the slower and more technical parts.

when was the last time we had this tight of a points battle in Formula Drift?
                        2007 (before you started attending). Entering the final event, Tanner had 500 points (yet hadn't won an event all year), Dai had 477 points, and Forsberg had 476. Ironically, they would finish on the podium in that order, so Tanner ended up winning by 37 points. Had Tanner lost in the top 8, Dai or Forsberg would have likely been battling it out in the finals for the championship.

Also, in 2009, although Forsberg statistically clinched by winning his top 32 battle, Tuerck went on to win the event, finishing just 6 points behind Forsberg, which is equivalent to 1 tandem round win. If Tuerck hadn't been knocked out in Top 32 in NJ by Joon Maeng or Sonoma by Hubinette, with all other results the same, the championship would have been tied. That's pretty damn exciting if you ask me.

Comment

Uhhh since when? If the lead driver washes out the chaser can overtake.

Passing is what ever, closer battles is what I want.
                          never mind, i saw this video a long time ago n thought he said it was not permitted but basically if its clean its good!

Im with you i want more close battles too! we need tanner back! lol jk

this is the video i was referring to:

WARNING DO NOT WATCH PAST THE 1:38 mark! It's sad

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IRjTdsJQYQM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
                            When did you go to your first Formula D event? 2009? You haven't been around long enough to see it change. Several people on this board were around to see Drift Showoff in the parking lot at Irwindale, and later the first ever D1GP USA back in 2003. Yes, some of the tandem battles are very close, but I also agree that outside clipping points are making some of the battles less interesting (Vegas being one of those tracks). Drivers who take the outside / high bank line would get more points, but if someone wants to take the inside line and go for the pass, I say let them. Just have the caveat that a pass doesn't mean an automatic win (a la D1) and you'll be fine. Watching D-mac's nimble Corolla make passes at the D1 All Star battle in 2006 at Irwindale were some of the most exciting tandems I have seen. But watching Rhys cut corners in Sonoma to try and pass back in 2006 also reminded me why FD had to implement the no passing rule. I think the rule could be modified so that passing can only be allowed after the first clipping point after the big entry sweeper. At Irwindale, allow people to try and pass on the inner bank, or in Seattle, allow people to try and pass after the 'power alley'. Still require people to take the outside / high line in the fastest part of the track, but allow some options on some of the slower and more technical parts.
                            I can get with that, like it would suck if drivers went for the pass at turn 1 Road Atlanta. I just think Road Atlanta, Yas Marina or any proper road course have absolutely no need for outside clips and artificial apexes. It almost seems disrespectful to the track.

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post
                              I can get with that, like it would suck if drivers went for the pass at turn 1 Road Atlanta. I just think Road Atlanta, Yas Marina or any proper road course have absolutely no need for outside clips and artificial apexes. It almost seems disrespectful to the track.
                              If you drive on Road Atlanta, all the outside zones for FD make the path smoother and faster. Just sayin.

As far as tandem gaps.... I'm pretty sure the gaps exist because of American drifting being obsessed with speed around the course. This obsession made it more important than before to fine tune the suspension, power:grip, etc.

Now the judging criteria is only a small amount based on radar for speed in qualifying, but everyone knows that 99% of the time, if you can pull a gap on someone, you will get the advantage. So its still about speed more than some people realize. Right now, the difference between some of the 'better' known names is not HP or TQ, its setup.The gaps that develop are due to the ability of teams to better prepare a car for a track. We all know ASD cars are rockets, so are a few of the other guys (<3 Dai) but if you watched Hubinette at Vegas, his car took like 45 minutes to make it around the 2nd clip and constantly lost ground to his competitor there.

In a few more seasons, car setup knowledge will be more widespread and we will see cars with competitive levels of grip and handling. This will transfer into tighter tandem and more confidence from drivers taht are better able to trust/predict the cars reactions even more than they already do.

Lastly, I don't think that our current top gunners are any less skilled than JP top guys.

Comment

Originally posted by boxmod View Post
                                Lastly, I don't think that our current top gunners are any less skilled than JP top guys.

Wish they had the stats to back it up

There has already been a handful of D1 rejects who have held their own and won in the states.

Comment

Working...
                                X