ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honda Realtime 4WD System= RWD Civic/Integra?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda Realtime 4WD System= RWD Civic/Integra?

I've been doing some reading on people who have converted their Civics or Integras to RWD. Some use the S2000 drivetrain, some make it a mid-engine and put the engine in the rear seats, some use the CR-V's Realtime 4WD system. What I'm interested in is how they use the Realtime 4WD. I've read up on that too, and all know about it is this:
    There is a dual hydraulic pump system, one for the front wheels and one for the back wheels. The front wheels are driven like a normal FWD system with the compact transfer case and propeller shaft. For the back wheels, there is a multi-plate clutch (similar to the clutch on the car's automatic transmission) that will engage, make contact with the drive shaft, and connect the front propeller shaft to the drive shaft and start sending power to the back wheels.

When the front and back wheels are turning at the same speed (like in normal conditions with dry pavement), the car is in FWD mode and both the hydraulic pumps are at the same pressure. Once the front wheels start to slip, hydraulic pressure changes between the two pumps and the difference in pressure opens a valve body that engages the multi-plate clutch and sends power to the rear wheels. The power sent to the rear wheels is proportional to the difference in pressure.

In order for the ABS system to engage, the Realtime 4WD disengages to allow the ABS to engage.

After reading that ^ you're probably wondering, "WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR QUESTION THEN‽" My question is: how do people use the Realtime 4WD system and make it RWD? Is it just taking out the front axle so that the computer sends power to the rear all the time or is it something more complicated? And then what do they do about the ABS system shutting off the Realtime 4WD?

Unless you actually have a CRV and plan to use it to drift, there's absolutely NO good reason to use its drivetrain. Do you have some convoluted notion that just because a Civic and CRV are made by Honda, that their drivetrains just happen to swap right into each other? You would have an easier time getting the drivetrain from a Jeep to work in there.

Comment

^ Blake fuller did what he is describing to a DC5 integra back in 2003 and made it RWD. From what I remember he said that he had a welded center differential and no front half shafts and plugged the holes.

He also said that it wasn't worth the work and ended up getting a 350z and using that for a long period of time. He much prefered it to the integra.

Comment

Originally posted by Piner View Post
        ^ Blake fuller did what he is describing to a DC5 integra back in 2003 and made it RWD. From what I remember he said that he had a welded center differential and no front half shafts and plugged the holes.

He also said that it wasn't worth the work and ended up getting a 350z and using that for a long period of time. He much prefered it to the integra.
        Either way its going to take heavy modifications to make work since its not a direct bolt in. If one wants to make a FWD car into a RWD car (i still don't understand why people want to do this) and you have to fabricate, then you might as well start with a drivtrain that was built for it in the first place.

Comment

Working...
        X