Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice post lifer

@yoitzjdm

I know its 0/6/30/ now but dont you think if given the oppurtunity teams will altered their builds to fit into the 4 proposed classes?
    Last edited by Bebop; 02-13-2012, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bebop View Post
      Nice post lifer

@yoitzjdm

I know its 0/6/30/ now but dont you think if given the oppurtunity teams will altered their builds to fit into the 4 proposed classes?
      You guys act like the series has enough time and sponsors to support multiple classes.

Formula D is best when there's a top 16 of the best drivers tandeming. Everything that happens before Top 16, although exciting for the die hard guys, is really just fluff. How many times have you watched the NBA D-league on TV? How many times have you watched Super-X Lites ? How about minor league baseball? Me neither.

Show me the big dogs doing their big dog thing.

If Formula D went to a permanent top 10 with 6 to 8 'invited' drivers per season, I would be ok with it. At least you'd know that every run will be competitive.

It's hard enough to keep top 16 moving steady, imagine if they had to shuffle different cars from different classes in the hot pits.

FD's prize money isn't enough to support the drivers as it is (where as there are drivers who make a career of barely making the field in NASCAR because there's so much money just for qualifying - aka Start and Parks). We don't need to split the money among more classes. We don't need more awards ceremonies. We don't need trophies for being the 3rd best 4 cylinder n/a driver. Keep it simple.

Comment

Ok, I'll just be short and to the point.

You're wanting to penalize the drivers who actually have throttle commitment, which raises this flag:

Real talk:
        /thread.
        Last edited by Mike Peters; 02-14-2012, 02:18 AM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure there are homosexual drifters that know how to go hard. "That's what he said"

(how the h3ll is g@y a banned word?)
          Last edited by my 1 88 u; 02-14-2012, 05:48 AM.

Comment

This is a very close minded approach to 'leveling' the competition.

First, its not just the tire that makes ASD kick so much *Censored**Censored**Censored* on the drift track. As part of their first MOB program, I learned a lot about why, and I used to be a FIRM "Falken is too good of a tire" kind of person. Now, I understand that they know their s*** and its not just the kind of rubber. I'm sure it doesn't hurt, but come on guys, Nascar they run the SAME tire and some guys are way better.... SKILL, CAR SETUP, and some LUCK make winners.

Also, limiting the number of tires is silly.... what is next? You have a nicer semi with more replacement parts, or too many crew to help? Are you going to say drivers must get only 7 hours of sleep before an event too? Racing is a TOUGH business. If you aren't ready to have some hardship and work to optimize YOUR sitituation, then quit, no one is making anyone drive any certain tire.

As far as running 2 different tire compounds to "save tire life" etc..... do you read "Twilight" to study for math? You practice with what you're using on the test. If you practiced on less grip and had to "baby" you initiations and transitions, and then throw on grippys and your all of a sudden not even kicking it out with confidence because you are used to the low grip. The best part of having a tire support is running consistent compound, and playing with the width or air pressure or alignment, not having to RELEARN it all for 2 sets of tires. Who cares if you have the 'settings' or not, the driver's confidence in the FEEL of the car matters a ton.

Tire companies are leaving I think might have to do with the FD impact fee. If suspension companies had to front a big lump sum of money to FD to be 'legal' to use, do you think that they would stay too? Tires are the most used up resource in our sport (meaning you need MORE replacement/MORE support/MORE loss to that company) than any other part. So hitting them with the fee, then expecting them to support drivers is flawed. FD is trying their best but they need a Non-endemic Title sponsor so the tire companies can focus on their drivers.

As far as the whole v8-v6-i4 arguement... Grow with the sport. When I got into drifting is was cool to have a beat up car, and be silly, it was fun. Then everyone was obsessed with clean cars drifting.... and now there is "missle cars" or "drift cars from 1999". Recently, drifting is moving to the bigger engine for obvious reasons such as "usable torque". A MAX torque of a 4turbo might match some of the v8 cars outputs so people say its competitive but if you really know whats going on.... a spike of XXX trq means nothing to a nearly flat torque of the same XXX. If you are still againsts the idea, then you must have never driven either for an extended period of time or are just trying to be Mr.Traditional a little too hard.

There is always going to be something someone will argue to try to hurt/bring down the top of the competition, so their less developed program can gain a purely manufactured advantage via rule change. Do you really want people to win because the other team ran out of tire?

I still don't like Falken
            Last edited by boxmod; 02-15-2012, 08:15 AM.

Comment

That's bogus man. The point of classes is to preserve the form of the car. If function is all that you care about then we may as well time it.

Comment

Classes? there is not nearly enough drivers/cars/budgets to sustain classes. There is like 40 cars that run qualifying. Classes means we qualify straight to top 8s?

And there is no reason you can't preserve the form of the car and be competitive. But when you get big enough and they want to build you a nice, clean, easy to work on car, are you really going to argue that you want less? They guys that win all have "insane" builds because their talent has put them into a well backed program. There are plenty of people who have cars well built that don't win, and guys that have less well built that get top8s or better sometimes.

And timing it is an apples to oranges arguement. torque is the ability to spin the tires, more of that means you can more easily control wheel speed as you accel or decel. and with the extra power you can run more rubber (up to limits now) and be somewhat faster in the turns- thats why you make the effort to be competitive when the categories include speed. If you want to limit a teams ability to go fast, lets look at another category... ANGLE- we better throw out any angle mods and just drive with factory set of knuckles and tie rods.... becuase the obvious arguement is that its not fair that some of these guys can develop and manufacture their own parts- or are they just in a better place/program than others? What about line? what if my eye sight isnt as good as the other guy? am I allowed to wear glasses/contacts or do I have to have a minimum perscription.... my point is that there is ALWAYS something we can say is unfair to team/driver x over another. I don't think tire quantity is something to complain about.

I'd rather lose 100% of the time and be out there learning, than sitting at home crying about how ASD has more tires or money than me.
                Last edited by boxmod; 02-15-2012, 10:31 AM.

Comment

^Well said Jason

This whole thread makes me want to vomit. These rules would kill what I myself love about drifting. How free and open it is and how much room for creative solutions it allows.

I mean it would be great if we all lived in a perfect world where we all had the same budgets and everyone got podiums and everyone won prize money. Im sure that FD can just pass out carbon fiber trophies just for participating like T-ball. If you want classes look to feeder series or hell start your own where you can treat people by what engine they decide to run.

This whole thing is dumb.

Comment

Contradiction after contradiction.

Comment

Potential rule change - limit on tires for the weekend

instead of mucking around with tyres and the like try an alternative method for levelling the field ban diffs and transmission that are non production lets see people put more than 500-600 through production parts and keep it reliable even if your sponsored your not going to be able to keep changing drivetrain components every run or every meet besides whens the last time you saw a formula d driver suffer drivetrain issues if everyone,s running production parts that should level field between privateer,s and full sponsored pros
                      And before you start bringing up safety issues you can still use good scatter shield and drive shaft loops for potential safty issues

Comment

It feels like no one else even read what I posted.

I feel what I presented its the most realistic solution to the conserns
                        on both sides of the opinions thown here.

I wonder what ASD or YOitsJDM have to say after reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lifer View Post
                          It feels like no one else even read what I posted.

I feel what I presented its the most realistic solution to the conserns
                          on both sides of the opinions thown here.

I wonder what ASD or YOitsJDM have to say after reading it.
                          ASD is doing exactly what you are talking about Lifer... the ASD Mob program is designed to teach us how to setup our cars in a general setting vs result manner. its not vehicle specific nor is it power dependant. I can't even begin to tell you how much its opened my eyes to car setups and how much I don't know or have even thought about.

I agree that the main problem is knowledge and not tire count, or a need to penalize the more advanced teams.

Instead of bringing the top DOWN, we need to bring the bottom UP.

Comment

This thread is ridiculous. I only read bits of it, but all you whiney nerds need to remember this is a PROFESSIONAL sport. Big guys will always be big, little guys will always be little. It's a part of the sport. Deal with it.

Comment

Nice post lifer

@yoitzjdm

Why would they want to?

How so? Only contradictions i see is fro those that are in favor of this tire limit rule.

Comment

@Boxmod - Hmm...is ASD offering this education for free?
                                Or is it apart of its select ASD Mob drivers program. If so how can I be apart of it? Would I need a car now or could I just be present for the technical training then build my car?
                                Last edited by Lifer; 02-17-2012, 12:14 PM. Reason: adding @

Comment

Working...
                                X