• Show
Clear All

• Drifting Techniques I Use

DRIFTING

Meaning:

. drift·ed, drift·ing, drifts
    v. intr.

To proceed or move unhurriedly and smoothly:

To wander from a set course or point of attention.

My Definition:

To slide a vehicle gracefully around a corner or any turn during a controlled slide, while the angle of the car is greater than the turn, but at the same time having enough speed to clear the corner without catching traction or leaving the intended course.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello to all the drifters. My name is Peter Jun. I was born and raised in SanFrancisco, California, and on these streets are where I learned to drive. On these streets are where I got my driver’s license and these are the streets where I get my parking and speeding tickets as well. These are the streets where I have had good and bad driving experiences. This is where I learned how to "DRIFT". Here is my interpretation of some drifting styles and techniques I have used over the years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E-Brake:

The emergency brake is used to start a drift. First you must push the clutch in, then pull on the e-brake while steering into the turn, which causes the rear to loose traction. After the desired angle is attained, engage the clutch while counter-steering and controlling the throttle to drift. This technique can also can be used to correct a drift when the desired angle is not achieved. Pulling the e-brake during a drift can give you more oversteer for correction when you need to be at a higher angle.

Power-Over:

If stopped or moving, the “power-over” drift is started by stepping on the gas while turning, causing the car to oversteer. At this time, the driver then counter-steers while still throttling the car to hold the drift or slide. During a power-over drift, the rear end can come out pretty fast, so be ready to counter-steer right at the moment you feel the back start drifting out.

Clutch Kick:

This is another variation of the power-over drift. It also can be started from a stop by just turning your wheel, revving the engine, dropping the clutch and controlling the drift. This can also be done while in motion at any speed. Before the turn-in, kick the clutch in while throttling, then pop it back out. This should cause your rear tires to lose traction, while turning in acquires the desired angle through throttle and counter-steering. During a clutch-drop drift, the rear end can come out quickly, so be ready to counter-steer right when you feel the back drifting out.

Clutch-Drop\Shift Lock:

This technique uses engine braking. While turning, disengage the clutch while letting engine RPMs drop, then quickly let off the clutch, which causes the car to lose traction by dragging the rear tires, creating oversteer. To control, use throttle imputs and counter-steering. This is usually done on accident by new drivers learning to downshift without revving the engine to match the engine speed to the axle speed.

Bump or Jump Drift:

This drift usually is started by going over a bump or something causing the rear to jump off of the ground, lift its weight or upset traction to the rear, thus oversteer and a drift is attained, controlled by counter-steering and gas imputs to achieve desired angle. This is sometimes done by going over speed bumps and potholes on public streets. You do not want to start one of these over a city curb!

Braking Drift:

This method can be used in many ways. Start a drift with the brakes, usually done while turning in and using the brakes to cause the weight to shift to the front wheels, then take the weight off the back wheels to lose traction. Then, using the throttle and counter-steering, hold the drift through the turn.

Faint Drift:

This uses weight transfer through steering imputs. First, you turn outwards from the turn then back in towards the turn, then whipping the car’s rear, losing traction. Start the drift or oversteer condition, then control with counter-steering and throttle imputs.

Inertia Drift/Off Throttle:

This drift is started by going into a turn at high speeds, letting off of the gas slightly causing the car's weight to be transferred foward through engine braking, lifting weight off the rear wheels. The rear should begin to oversteer where you then achieve the desired angle and control the drift with counter-steering and throttle imputs.

Choku Dori or Sidewinders (I like to call it):

This technique is used after a turn down a straightaway. Usually while coming out of a turn, drift onto the straightaway, then sway the car side-to-side or drift back-and-forth from either side of the track. Keep this drift style down the straightaway until setting up for the next turn.

There are 3 main factors in drifting:

1. weight transfer
    2 . braking traction
    3. experience

(Nothing beats #3.)

Advanced techniques I have learned:
    Sometimes I don't get enough angle for a turn either because I’m going too slow or I don’t oversteer enough. At this point I would pull the e-brake slightly to get the car to oversteer more, causing a greater angle. Many drifts are variations of all the drift styles. You could power-over into a turn, then use inertia to turn more, then a clutch-drop to a faint drift. Many different combinations can be put together depending on your entry speed and angle of turn, usually on s-curves or dual-radius turns (meaning turns that usually start off with a slight angle then become sharper at the end) This just shows that there are many ways to change the dynamics of a drift. Everyone has their own unique style. Just put everything together on the track or in a “safe area” and practice, practice, practice! =)

My Dream Drift Car would Be A:

Cheverolet - Corvette - 2005 - ZO6 !!!! =)

Sorry I love imports too , but have to show love to muscles Too!!

Any Questions Contact Me =)

Peter H Jun
    AIM - JunpoweR
    E-Mail - SheetMetalWorks2@aol.com

Never seen drift bible yet you use exactly the same phrases and terminology of the DVD.
    C'mon , be at least original

We call it h/brake turns, scandinavian flick, kerb hopping,compression lockup.
    These are rally terms around a long time ago and I admit I wasn't the first to do it

Man , at least have the balls to admit it...

Comment

Actually man, some of the stuff he says is repeated all over the
      net. The first place I found info was Drift Session's site( thank you hawaii). Alot of the stuff gets spread around that way...
      and be nice- don't get deleted- there's alot of info here to share.
      I bet you have stuff to say being for ausi-land, any rally tech we should know?
      scandinavian flick eh? I hadn't heard that one, is that a feint?
      I used to call it a yank(yank the wheel..). can you get me any opel parts?

Comment

Re: Drifting Techniques I Use

Originally posted by JunpoweR
        DRIFTING

Advanced techniques I have learned:
        Sometimes I don't get enough angle for a turn either because I’m going too slow or I don’t oversteer enough. At this point I would pull the e-brake slightly to get the car to oversteer more, causing a greater angle. Many drifts are variations of all the drift styles. You could power-over into a turn, then use inertia to turn more, then a clutch-drop to a faint drift. Many different combinations can be put together depending on your entry speed and angle of turn, usually on s-curves or dual-radius turns (meaning turns that usually start off with a slight angle then become sharper at the end) This just shows that there are many ways to change the dynamics of a drift. Everyone has their own unique style. Just put everything together on the track or in a “safe area” and practice, practice, practice! =)
        this last paragraph is a chop of what was translated in the Drift Bible (I just had to watch it to make sure).

"then use inertia to turn more" <--explain this one.

DAMMIT! where's my B.S. flag?

Comment

Nightwalker,

We sent you a PM today and now this is your warning to follow the forum rules.

Remember, you can disagree with someone in a respectful manner.

Comment

Originally posted by soultron
            Actually man, some of the stuff he says is repeated all over the
            net. The first place I found info was Drift Session's site( thank you hawaii). Alot of the stuff gets spread around that way...
            and be nice- don't get deleted- there's alot of info here to share.
            I bet you have stuff to say being for ausi-land, any rally tech we should know?
            scandinavian flick eh? I hadn't heard that one, is that a feint?
            I used to call it a yank(yank the wheel..). can you get me any opel parts?
            Scandinavian flick is the rally term for feint drift and is normally incorporated using the brake aspect to weight transfer the rear end.
            Is used to help wash off speed , rotate the car early and come out of the corner already facing straight in preperation for hard acceleration onto the next straight.
            Now try and find that in any forum , DVD or vid...

btw , they don't sell Opels in Australia and yes I should not be too harsh on some of the thread posters but sometimes they plagiarise without acknowledgement

Comment

Re: Re: Drifting Techniques I Use

Originally posted by Nightwalker
              this last paragraph is a chop of what was translated in the Drift Bible (I just had to watch it to make sure).

Glad to see someone else watches the Drift DVD.
              Inertia to turn more is trying to say the weight of the vehicle already trying to spin is used to continue the slide if reqd, usually by turning further into the slide. For example if the rear end is drifting/slidind/skidding to the right then turn the wheel to the right and the momentum of the car ( if your carrying enough speed) will keep it sliding.

Comment

ahhhhh! I thought he was talking about using the inertia of the car to modify the line, and turn in deeper. Couldn't picture it. I get what YOU are saying though. Thanks.

Comment

Still Never seen It..

Well weather you believe I seen the Drift Bible or not I don't feel the need to argue over this..
                  All i can tell you is nothing is translated ..I Just described drifting with english I learned in school ..
                  Thank you. =)

Comment

Re: Re: Drifting Techniques I Use

Originally posted by Nightwalker

Inertia To turn or achieve a greater angle during a drift:

Well sometimes while drifting a turn, I didn't achieve the desired angle.So 2 things I could do. Turn the car in more while letting off the gas..This will put some weight onto the front tires and cause it to oversteer (inertia technique) a higher angle,then adding more angle to a drift..Usually I do this while entering a turn , and at the end the turn gets sharper so I would have to achieve a greater angle..This just means I start the drift with a slight angle then just make it sharper at the end..=)

Hope this helps you understand what I was saying earlier..

Comment

Hey cut the man some slack eh?, i mean he started this thread posting his techniques.... its not about whether he copied someone... Cause none of us invented drifting... so were all kinda copying someone elses terms

(talk the talk, walk the walk)

Comment

TY

Thanks.This wasn't meant to be for instructional use..
                        I'm not trying to teach anybody.
                        Just Telling people how I use diffrent techniques to drift..
                        I'm sure others that have posted or created such, will agree..

Comment

good info

Comment

hehe

haha cool stuff i like it...haters gonna hate =\ BUT WHO CARES YOU GOT THE T2~!!!!

Comment

yea but gtrken's got SEVERAL GTR's. Why dont you crawl up his bum a bit higher silbeer.
                              good to see some antilag crew ken =)

Comment

Working...
                              X