can the mr2[sw20] drift??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah most of you guys probably know the whole
    M(id)R(ear wheel drive)2(seater) i was looking into the AW11 but the guy who owned it was rude on the phone so f it.he said if i saw it i would be so amazed i would buy it the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by scirocco
      aren't mr2s mid engine front wheel drive?
      WTF?!?!?! what would that accomplish...

lol just teasing they are mid engine rwd. most mid/rear engine cars are rwd but some higher end (porsche, lambo) are awd.

Comment

do you know why porsche stopped making rwd as common? poor quality drivers would get them aka old bad drivers <8- ) and then obviously they could afford the turbo charged models. turbo charged= power power=oversteer turbo=turbo lag turbo lag= a jolt of power when your not expecting it. i guess if people were not paying attention to how to the turbo it could be deadly. <8- )

Comment

Actually it stands for midship runabout 2 seater. But I find the midengine rwd more fitting. Midengine fwd would be the most pointless thing ever. The car spins like a mofo when going into a slide. Even if you could drift it, it's really no fun because your struggling so much to keep control.

Comment

Even Tsuchiya spun out in Drift Bible...

Comment

dude

hey, wsup, Im new to this site i juss saw this post, and i juss wanted to say, MR can drift. every MR is rear wheel drive, why do they have engine on middle of the car is to put the weight to the middle, so the car can turn better. but it juss makes more over steer when u are drifting. i saw ppl talkin bout porsche being MR. but porsche isnt MR, its RR, rear engine rear wheel drive. MR engine is in between the passenger seat and rear wheel. RR is all the way the the back. its on top of the wheel. all the FR MR RR can drift, not FF or AWD, but than skyline GTR is like in the middle of FR and AWD, cuz its 20% Front and 80% rear, so u can say it drifts. plus, only pulling the side break isnt drifting, thats power slide. drift has more control while they are sliding with spinning the back tire. i drift with Porsche 944 NA. front engine rear wheel drive. drivers seat on the left, shift nob at right, but side break on the left, right next to the seat. you wont be able to reach it while drifting. so what i do is just slide all the way with over steer power slide. more like power drifting.
              back to the topic. can SW20 drift? yes!!! it should be real fun drifting with that machine. more the car over steers, its more easier to start a drift, cuz if not u have to pull a side break, and that just slows you down and, makes it more like a show drift. but than the more you have weight on the back makes the car slide so much, so its real hard to control, and makes it harder to get a grip right after a drift. so it actually fish tales if you didnt do it perfectly. what you want to drift with is like front engine FR and 50/50 perfect weight propotion. like trueno, levin, porsche 944, miata MX5. these are all cheap and fun car to drive, but porsche 944... its real cheap to buy. but too much mentenance. im goin to sell it and get miata. gonna miss 180hp with loud exaust sound... well, hope ill have fun drifting on mountain with miata downhill.
              well, see you all later!!!

Comment

how is pulling a ebrake power sliding??? where's the power part of this formula? looks like drifting to me....hell, i'll even throw in the drift bible here, the first technique keiichi started with what the ebrake.

interesting...

Comment

yes it can......but two words for you
                  "Oversteer Happy"

Comment

being a previuos owner of a 91 SW20 (man i miss it), the car is definatly drift capable but oversteer occurs faster due to the weight in the rear. but in no way is it "harder" to control, you just need quick reactions and technique. but if you get a non-powersteeering model, it will be harder on the learning process.
                    all-in-all, i miss MR2 and will buy another in the future after my S14 is done.

Comment

i think it depends on the driver,speed and angle on the entering of the turn..i havnt drive one yet.. but i have one in the Grantursimo3 well prepared for drifting....please dont laugh, gran turismo its one of the best real car statics simulators....

Comment

lol i was joking. I realise the stupidity of putting the engine in the back and having to put a driveshaft all the way to the front. Lucky i saw that guys response in my grip vs. drift thread, or i would have kept this up!

I don't want start a stupid argument, but IMO awd and ff CAN drift, in their own ways. Mine usually has around 90% to the rear but it is still AWD. And i race it. Sometimes i drift it, but only when rwd is on. FF can drift, I drifted a CRX. You can hold the drift through corner entrace from braking, then use the e brak when you start to grip. It can look quite smooth if done correctly. Although it is mostly about opinion, that is what i think is correct. HOWEVER, just because the dictionary says that drifting is "to go off course or slide" doesn't mean that that is the modern term for drifting. Drifting has a new meaning, and perhaps rwd is incorporated in that. For now though, I will stick to racing, and drifting on weekends the odd time.
                        Last edited by scirocco; 09-17-2004, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Ok guys, what you say is TRUE, but you forgot about something...

A natural feature of every midship car is that it's rear is heavier than the front. So, the rear wheels, which are powered by the engine, have heavier load on them, making them grip better. And, if the front is lighter, the front tires have less grip, what makes the car understeer , not oversteer at some situations, for example when you go into a corner too fast. Our simple thinking leads us to the fact that if the rear wheels have better grip, it's harder to get them kicked out. And, as you may (or may not) know from the physics, when the rear gets kicked out, it moves faster than the front because of the inertial force, which "pulls" the heavier part of the car faster. You have to know that you have to react as fast as you can, because the inertial force will take your rear end to that tree next to the road, and your butt with it. Even Keiichi spun the MR2 because he had too much speed and, as a result, braked too much, making the weight shift to the front, and lessen the grip of rear tires.

So, the MR2 is a car that learns you to react quickly. It's a potent driftcar, so it's a good base to start with as a project car.

- D.

Comment

First thing: Truenos (the 86) are not 50/50, theyre cloeer to 52 or 53 in the front.

Second: 50/50 is NOT the best for drifting. Having one end slightly heavier then the other makes it much easier to "swing" that weight around, a heaver end will "over power" the other end easier. (Even the drift king himself says that 50/50 is not suited for drifting, and having a slightly heavier front or back end is better)

I wouldnt call 50/50 perfect for handling either, as being front heavy- or rear heavy has its own advantages and disadvantages. 50/50 is more a good "balance" between the two (no pun intended)

Third: Yes mr2s can drift, but not very easily. Oversteer does create a "easier" drift car becuase they tend to naturally spin.. problem with say the sw20- they have whats known as "Snap oversteer" Youll be going fine through the turn, then the back end will kick out VERY quickly. More weight over the drive wheels- as you corner weight is moved "out", bringing the rear end with it.

For those who dont know- you should NOT bring up the "mistakes" Tsuchiya made in the drift bible. im PRETTY sure most if not all of them were intentional.

Dont you find it VERY odd how almost everytime he "makes a mistake" he mentions what NOT to do, just before hand?

Since the mr2 was brought up, well use that- how LUCKY must he have been to make a mistake at the one point where the road branches off? I mean, why not at a corner where he could have crashed into dirt.. instead he spins out onto a nicely paved road with 2 cones in the way.

Its an instructional video: hes showing people what to do- and NOT to do.. showing what happens if you do the "donts".
                            ___

Last thing: FF DRIFT?

Alrighty- if an FF can drift depends LARGLY on your definition of drift. if its all about look, then ya an FF can probably "drift". but thats only by locking up the rear tires (of course were talking about dry conditions)

They can cause slip angles via braking and turn in, but those are only slight angles- and imo dont count as a drift. a drift is a slip angle at an extreme angle to me.

Also that angle can ONLY be caused by the intertia on the back end pushing it out- the FF layout is unable to break the traction free AND keep it free.

AWD can "sort of drift" imo. They still rely on intertia largly to do it- but they dont require locking up the tires to create a big angle.

Let me put it to you like this,

You do power circles in a FF, and post your time- Then ill do a power circle in my 86, well see who wins

(a power circle is esentialy a drift of unlimited time, as long as the driver is able to hold the drift)
                            ____

EDIT

ADDED:

"And, if the front is lighter, the front tires have less grip, what makes the car understeer , not oversteer"

Not really True, UNLESS your trying to turn in while flooring it. You brought this up yoruself so dont over look it- Before you turn in in most cases you brake. This brings the weight forward- and in MANY midship cars this will make the front heavier at the time of turn in then the rear, giving them more grip. then as you reach the apex you can get on the throttle- returning the weight to the rear, and accelerating faster out because of being slightly back heavy.

v KEEP THIS IN MIND FOR MID SHIP CARS v

Understeer is caused by the front tires not having enough grip to properly turn the front end of the vehicle in.

MR cars have a lighter front end- which means they need less griping ability to properly redirect the nose of the car.

Having the weight over the back pushes the back end out- and pointing the nose even further in:

That sounds like a good description of oversteer to me.

Sorry this is so long- as there was a lot subjects brought up in the topic and i tried to touch them all- so congrats if you read all this.
                            Last edited by SidewaysGts; 09-17-2004, 02:58 PM.

Comment

whoa whoa whoa... hold your horses. AWD doesn't require any locking at all to drift. and you can spin an FF with heavy weight transition. With a proper awd system like mine, you can even power over quite nicely. So think before you speak and perhaps do a little research.

Comment

Or read my post better and see i said awd DOESNT need the tires to be locked- which is how it differs from FF

Even with heavy weight transition like you speak of ive YET to see someone "drift" an ff without locking up the tires. Some mild slip angles is the best ive seen, if youve got something else to prove otherwise- please prove me wrong.
                                Last edited by SidewaysGts; 09-17-2004, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X