V-Mount Intercoolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Mount Intercoolers

i'm looking for people who have fabricated/installed v mount intercoolers. let me know everything. I know how and why they are set up, but dont know too many specifics. basically just tell me everything you know.

Check out the Drifter Twins from Signal Auto, thats a good start:

http://www.signalauto.co.jp/4_28DRIFTSPEC.html

Comment

thanks, but i was looking for more of a technical view, i've seen plenty, i just dont really know the set up. like where are the intercooler and radiator mounted, what kind of modifications have to be done etc. thanks any way

Comment

Well, just looking at my 240sx, I guess the best way to start it would to be to notch the radiator supports. However, I think you'll need to reenforce the setup somehow or your chassis might be weakend?

Comment

what about mounting the radiator and intercooler?

Comment

I found this as a pretty good post to look at:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t134007.html

You have to understand that this is not a very common thing for just a backyard mechanic to do. Typically this is done with some serious engineering by a lot of people. Companies that have done it (Yashio Factory, Signal, Rotary Extreme) have put a lot of R & D and engineering time into it. If you can devise a way to do it, then go you. But after you do it you could probably make some money off of it. (You'll probably need a mechanical engineering degree, like your truly ) You're best bet though is to go to those companies and ask them to set it up themselves. It might cost more, but you'll know it works.

Comment

thanks man, where did you go to get your engineering degree?

Comment

i hope that this V-mount setup isn't going to be on a daily driver seeing that you're going to overheat the car the first serious traffic jam you get stuck in

Late,
                Daniel

Comment

it would be a daily driver but i would be driving it on the streets on weekends to races and/or track events, i wouldnt be using it as a comuter car. where do you mount the radiator and intercooler?
                  Last edited by driftex; 02-16-2005, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by driftex
                    it would be a daily driver but i would be driving it on the streets on weekends, i wouldnt be using it as a comuter car. where do you mount the radiator and intercooler?
                    honestly....the questions you are asking are very basic which show a lack of understanding of a V-mount intercooler setup and the reasons as to why somebody would install one on their car.....you shouldo do considerably more research on this subject prior to deciding 100% that you are going to install a V-mount setup

the intercooler and radiator form a V with the radiator on the bottom and the intercooler on the top....hence the name V-mount.....the reason people do this is b/c is provides better cooling for that radiator as opposed to the traditional FMIC setup......the hood needs to be vented right at the intercooler and you need to design the proper shroud setup to go around the intercooler so that the air doesn't just go around the intercooler rather it goes through the intercooler.....there is a lot of work involved in this....you're going to have to fabricate all custom tubes for the radiator to the thermostat since hoses won't cut it anymore...you're going to have to custom fabricate all of the intercooler piping.....and it isn't as easy as just getting the pipes with the right bend in them.....if you find close up pics of the signal auto drift twins you'll see all of their piping is welded rather than just mandrel bent....you're going to have to do that to test fit everything......make custom bracketry for the radiator and intercooler.......and there is even more involved than that

and the reason i said you shouldn't run this on anything but a track only car is b/c when you're sitting at a light there isn't any air moving through the radiator and you're going to end up frying your engine.....i've known people who would over heat if they had to come to a complete stand still for too long of a period b/c there just wasn't enough air going through the radiator.....and on top of that they would heat sink their engine b/c there was insuficient air flowing through the intercooler.....and electric fans won't cut it enough b/c then when you get up to speed they'll just hinder the air flow

do yourself the favor and if you REALLY have your heart set on a V-mount setup just call one of the japanese tuners and have them make the setup for you......even if it costs more money than doing it yourself at least you'll know that everything on it is going to work and fit

Late,
                    Daniel
                    Last edited by realSILVIA; 02-15-2005, 08:37 PM.

Comment

thanks man, where did you go to get your engineering degree?
                      Bradley University in Peoria, IL, Mechancial Engineering.

This would be a fun project to do in Pro/Engineer, anyone else besides me know this program?

Comment

Originally posted by realSILVIA
                        the intercooler and radiator form a V with the radiator on the bottom and the intercooler on the top....hence the name V-mount.....the reason people do this is b/c is provides better cooling for that radiator as opposed to the traditional FMIC setup......the hood needs to be vented right at the intercooler and you need to design the proper shroud setup to go around the intercooler so that the air doesn't just go around the intercooler rather it goes through the intercooler.....there is a lot of work involved in this....you're going to have to fabricate all custom tubes for the radiator to the thermostat since hoses won't cut it anymore...you're going to have to custom fabricate all of the intercooler piping.....and it isn't as easy as just getting the pipes with the right bend in them.....if you find close up pics of the signal auto drift twins you'll see all of their piping is welded rather than just mandrel bent....you're going to have to do that to test fit everything......make custom bracketry for the radiator and intercooler.......and there is even more involved than that

Not to be a jerk or anything but i already knew all the things you just said. i basic just dont know the specifics like mounting points for radiator and intercooler.

and the reason i said you shouldn't run this on anything but a track only car is b/c when you're sitting at a light there isn't any air moving through the radiator and you're going to end up frying your engine.....i've known people who would over heat if they had to come to a complete stand still for too long of a period b/c there just wasn't enough air going through the radiator.....and on top of that they would heat sink their engine b/c there was insuficient air flowing through the intercooler.....and electric fans won't cut it enough b/c then when you get up to speed they'll just hinder the air flow
                        most of this stuff was new to me, so thanks. i started this thread mostly just to gain information about v mounts, incase i ever do want to do one. i was cosidering one now, but the thought of heat sink totally slipped my mind. i was too focused on how cool it would be.
                        thanks, didnt mean to piss you off
                        Last edited by driftex; 02-16-2005, 02:59 PM.

Comment

most of this stuff was new to me, so thanks. i started this thread mostly just to gain information about v mounts, incase i ever do want to do one. i was cosidering one now, but the thought of heat sink totally slipped my mind. i was too focused on how cool it would be.
                          thanks, didnt mean to piss you off
                          no no you didn't piss me off......sorry if it came off like that ....it just seemed like you were all set on doing a V mount setup but didn't really understand the use for a V mount that's all

i'm glad I was able to help you better understand how they work and why people use them......don't get me wrong.....i would love a V mount setup so when you open the hood people just drop their jaws ......but for a car that is driven on the street it isn't the most practical idea......people do it....i just don't think that i'm going to be one of them

Late,
                          Daniel

Comment

Not wanting to start a fight or anything, but you are a little wrong with your description of the V-mount. He could, not saying he should, but could run a v-mount on a daily driver because if you have seen a complete v-mount built and put together, you will also note that it too, just as the OEM radiator set-up has a fan. In the case of a V-mount, he would run an electric fan, Flex-a-lite's BLACK MAGIC has been proven to flow the most, on the bottom of the radiator, thus pulling the "non-moving air" into a moving state and crossing over the radiator and being pushed to the ground under the car. For a California car, I would definitely not recommend this, but basically if you know the traffic patterns of the city or town you are in, you should be able to make an educated decision. Again, not starting arguments, I just saw a flaw. I'm not saying I am 100% correct, but I know that most guys will put e-fans on their cars v-mount or FMIC.

Jay

Comment

if you wanted to get really nutty, you could fabricate a radiator shroud to work for both of them, and then give each of them there own e-fan, kinda overkill, but ya.

i would highly advise against this for a dd if your in cali, youll get owned buy police iunstantly if they pop your hood.

there was this really gnarly car at d1, the intercooler was angled like in a vmount, but the radiator was in the trunk, with its own fans and airflow, the engine was moved back about 6 or so inches and the firewall had to be cut, that car was really gnar....

Comment

Working...
                              X