No announcement yet.

V-Mount Intercoolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow, i'm assuming that you drive an fc so a v-mount as a daily driver would be fine. i would like know why he would overheat in a traffic jam realsilvia??? the fc has a top mount intercooler from the factory and it doestn't overheat in traffic???? whats the deal?? why couldn't he run an electric fan on his radiator? plus he won't have to do any modifications to the frame/supports because the fc's have plenty of space under the engine bay once the clutch fan is removed. but yes the hood would have to be vented. the v-mount can be seen as the optimum intercooling setup. because hot air leaves out the top of the hood instead of passing through the rad...and becaust it doesn't heatsoak as easily as a top mount... plus pressure isn't as effected as it is with a front mount and the short pipe length provides good response.

heres a link to probably one of the cleanest fc's you'll evver see. oh yeah its a v-mount daily driver!!
    http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.ph...hreadid=145822

Comment

Originally posted by sdtouge
      if you wanted to get really nutty, you could fabricate a radiator shroud to work for both of them, and then give each of them there own e-fan, kinda overkill, but ya.

i would highly advise against this for a dd if your in cali, youll get owned buy police iunstantly if they pop your hood.

there was this really gnarly car at d1, the intercooler was angled like in a vmount, but the radiator was in the trunk, with its own fans and airflow, the engine was moved back about 6 or so inches and the firewall had to be cut, that car was really gnar....
      yeah Matt i saw that car at GT Live.....that thing was a monster....i couldn't get over it.....i just kept walking around the car in circles

Jay....i understand your point but I have talked to a number of different people about V mount setups......and they have all told me that even with fans it can get kinda hairy in traffic......plus there's the whole heat soak issue to contend with.......i understand you're point and i know that people do run fans on their rads but i still wouldn't recommend this unless you lived in the sticks and never drove your car into the city

Late,
      Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by realSILVIA
        yeah Matt i saw that car at GT Live.....that thing was a monster....i couldn't get over it.....i just kept walking around the car in circles

Jay....i understand your point but I have talked to a number of different people about V mount setups......and they have all told me that even with fans it can get kinda hairy in traffic......plus there's the whole heat soak issue to contend with.......i understand you're point and i know that people do run fans on their rads but i still wouldn't recommend this unless you lived in the sticks and never drove your car into the city

Late,
        Daniel
        Daniel,

I used to daily drive my FD with a Rotary Extreme Vmount IC setup. I drove everyday in nasty traffic on the east coast and never once had a problem. Also, heatsoak is not an issue with the Vmount if you have a vented hood. Granted the IC will get hot while you're sitting in traffic, but once you start driving it cools off immediately. As far as the radiator setup, my engine temps never got as high as they did with the stock IC and radiator setup. I was running the equivalent of a Koyo aluminum radiator with a black magic fan mounted behind it. I'm currently working on a Vmount setup for my FC drift car.

Driftex,

If you want a Vmount setup for your FC then check out FEED if you want a prebuilt kit. It's going to be crazy expensive but it's very well worth the money. Or you can be like me and fab your own. I'm using a griffin aluminum radiator and the rotary extreme IC core. It isn't going to be all that difficult and I can promise that it will work like a champ. Just remember that you NEED a vented hood to take full advantage of a Vmount setup. Best of luck and PM me if you have any questions.

Zach

Comment

well we did an angle mounted IC on the AE86 Levin, but because its a track car we basically relocated the radiator to the back of the car (just behind the rear diff) and then fabricated some mounts for the IC using 1cm thick aluminimu rods bent to fit, which was welded to the supports and then some mild steel piping bent to connect the CA18DET to the IC. We then mounted two fans behind it and made a vent in the bonnet to move the hot air over the car instead of the engine bay.

It flows really well while moving, but sucks arse when stationary, which is fine by us since its not gonna see public roads.

In my opinion a good bar and plate FMIC with a decent core size and good flow is more efficient than a V mount or H mount IC of similar specs in a road driven car. Just like GT wings are useful on track cars but not on a road car

Comment

That's interesting Zach that even on a rotary which are infamous for their ease of overheating and you haven't overheated with a V mount setup......i'm not going to say 100% that its not going to work well on a street driven car.....i'm just not going to personally condone the use of a V mount setup

believe me.....if there was any way for it to be just as efficient if not more efficient than a good core and radiator on a street driven car then i would be rocking a V mount.....they are oh so hot

Late,
            Daniel

Comment

pie cut and TIG weld and the right hood

Comment

Originally posted by funkymonkey
                We then mounted two fans behind it and made a vent in the bonnet to move the hot air over the car instead of the engine bay.

BONNET!! WHATS A BONNET? get out of here you crazy person!

just kidding, thanks for the info man.

Comment

My bad... "hood" for you USDMers

Comment

Originally posted by sdtouge
                    if you wanted to get really nutty, you could fabricate a radiator shroud to work for both of them, and then give each of them there own e-fan, kinda overkill, but ya.

i would highly advise against this for a dd if your in cali, youll get owned buy police iunstantly if they pop your hood.

there was this really gnarly car at d1, the intercooler was angled like in a vmount, but the radiator was in the trunk, with its own fans and airflow, the engine was moved back about 6 or so inches and the firewall had to be cut, that car was really gnar....
                    umm i think your talkign about the weld s14, its in the newest modifeid magazine, cars built insane but neesd to be lowered, too mcuh wheel gap with the 17s, put some 18s

Comment

i don't really kno wat a v mount is but i installed my intercooler infront of my radiator leaning forwards away from the radiator which creates a v shape and some electric fans seeing i did away with the fan on the sr20detplus i got a GT-R radiator and a pretty big vent which pretty much keeps the radiator cool. don't exactly kno wat setup i ve got or kno wat its called but i put sum thought into it. plus theres a couple ducts so that the air circlates around the engine bay. and from wat i kno drifters only put there intercoolers in the engine bay so the first thing they hit isn't there intercooler which would take em outta the comp

Comment

S13/R32. You are running a FMIC set up. Yours is just slightly different from what you'd normally see. It's good to see that you ran ducting and all though. That will really make a difference in how well your radiator will keep things cool. Here is a picture from Rotary Extreme of one of their V mount IC setups. It's installed in a FD3S.

Zach
                        Attached Files

Comment

heres a 180sx with v-mount.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Great picture Crazy Badger. That is what I was looking for, but all of my pictures only deal with RX-7's. Thanks for helping out with the perfect picture.

Comment

Yea....
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by superstock2
                                wow, i'm assuming that you drive an fc so a v-mount as a daily driver would be fine. i would like know why he would overheat in a traffic jam realsilvia??? the fc has a top mount intercooler from the factory and it doestn't overheat in traffic???? whats the deal?? why couldn't he run an electric fan on his radiator? plus he won't have to do any modifications to the frame/supports because the fc's have plenty of space under the engine bay once the clutch fan is removed. but yes the hood would have to be vented. the v-mount can be seen as the optimum intercooling setup. because hot air leaves out the top of the hood instead of passing through the rad...and becaust it doesn't heatsoak as easily as a top mount... plus pressure isn't as effected as it is with a front mount and the short pipe length provides good response.

heres a link to probably one of the cleanest fc's you'll evver see. oh yeah its a v-mount daily driver!!
                                http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.ph...hreadid=145822
                                I agree with SuperStock on the short pipe legth equals good response. For drift work you sure don't want delay in throttle response and at the same time you don't want heat soak off the engine- So V-mount gives you the best of both of those. I mean look how short the tube from I/C to intake is- what maybe 16"? A front mount has way, way more tubing and all that length has to have the air pushed through it when you change throttle input.

Comment

Working...
                                X