Rotary *Censored**Censored**Censored*s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary *Censored**Censored**Censored*s

I saw a rx7 like the one thats my avatar, it had its hood off and it had a v8 in it. i could tell by the air filter. post stories of rotary *Censored**Censored**Censored*s on this thread

Ive seen sr20s in FC, v8s in FC, sr20 in FD, v8 in FD, 20b in FD and FC, Also cosmo in FC. Ive gotten used to em.

Comment

v8 in a 7?

why are you hating on the guy for wanting a fast car with more then 10 quarter mile runs in it?

Ooooooooohhhhh backhanded.

Comment

Its funny how many hate on V-8 swaps. But then think that old Cobras from the 60s are cool. All Shelby did was stuff a 289 (then 427 ) in an English AC Ace.

Comment

i dont like it because it adds so much weight and throws off the balance of the car totally...

i cant wait till i run into some extra money and do rotary swaps into other cars, cant beat the light-weightness and power from a 1.3 or 2.0L

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-TeK fc3s
            i dont like it because it adds so much weight and throws off the balance of the car totally...

i cant wait till i run into some extra money and do rotary swaps into other cars, cant beat the light-weightness and power from a 1.3 or 2.0L
            You realize that putting a rotary engine in a car that usually comes with a piston engine will throw off the ballance of the car, right?

Comment

No kidding, Auspex, as much as I love Grassroots Motorsports magazine's infamous "Ro-Spit" (a MkIV Triumph Spitfire with a bridge-ported 13B) or the number of rotary powered Datsun 510's you see in Sport Compact Car, I also realize those cars are absolute PAINS to work around.

And Appleseed is right. Heck, a ton of great sports cars in the sixties and seventies were Euro-American hybrids. Here's just some of the great sports cars that used American muscle.

Facel Vega HK500 - Chrysler V8

Iso Grifo - Chevy Corvette 327.

Bizzarini 5300GT Strada - your choice of 327 or 427 Chevy

Detomaso Mangusta and Pantera - Ford 351 Cleveland

Sunbeam Tiger - Ford 260 and 289, Shelby tuned

Jensen Interceptor - Chrysler 383.

I really hope this proved my point, because do you know what a royal pain in the *Censored**Censored**Censored* it is to find a flattering picture of a Jensen Interceptor?

Comment

I really like this car. Then again, I also really like Volvos.

Comment

Originally posted by Appleseed
                  Its funny how many hate on V-8 swaps. But then think that old Cobras from the 60s are cool. All Shelby did was stuff a 289 (then 427 ) in an English AC Ace.
                  i don't hate v8 swaps in cars that have piston engines in them. its just that the rotary in specific to that car and thats what makes it cool

Comment

V8 7's are cool for drag, but pretty much anything else they are useless...and personally if i buy an RX-7, im not buying it to drag race with. At drift showoff last summer here there was a FB with a 350 in it...he could only do donuts, and finally it killed it when he spun over a rumble strip, crimped his exhaust, blew his motor, and ripped the CV joints apart all in one swift move...it was funny... and you cant tell me that a 20b with twins and performance work done would get worked by a 350.... simply cause the 20b has both lightwieght and power...its very easy to put down 800 ponies to the ground with a tri-rotor as long as you know what you are doing.

Comment

Eh....

Even with only a 350, you can make huge power. Look at nascar motors, for example...they make about 800 horse with good durability, and they are surprisngly restricted at some points to keep the cars from being absolutely stupid fast. With an all-out build, four digits is definately obtainable without a power adder (forced induction/nitrous). More displacement would help too.

Going by the idea that what's good for the goose is good for the gander, if we apply forced induction to a 350 it's all over.

Comment

thats true parry, im not hating on V8's at all...im just saying that with the rotary, its different, an cool, and plus, even if that 350 was TT and pushing 1500 hp, that 7 still wouldnt corner worth a damn.....

Comment

That would be assuming that the 350 in question in fact weighed as much as a fully dressed 13B twin turbo.

Turbos are big beasts, and their associated plumbing - especially in high horsepower applications which include wastegates and intercoolers - weighs quite a bit. I would not be surprised if a turnkey naturally aspirated LS1 (which is an all aluminum engine) weighs about the same as a fully-dressed turnkey twin-turbo 13B with intercoolers and plumbing.

A lot of people like to claim that turbos are "free horsepower". No such thing. A turbo works off of the "waste product" of the engine, no doubt, but it doesn't change the fact that turbos add weight, add complexity (bad for reliability - more stuff to go wrong), place a load on the engine to work harder (turbo lag is, after all, the engine working against those impellers to get the turbo spooled).

Now, a naturally aspirated rotary engine with a good bridge-port, Racing Beat exhaust, and really good injectors/carbs is a hot beast. While tacking a twin-turbo setup onto the 13B wrecks the engine's allure by adding weight, size, and complexity, I've always had a fondness and respect for a wildcat 12A or 13B that's been ported, polished, and has a big ol Weber hanging off the side. Loud lil SOB's, and packing way more of a wallop than their size indicates.

Comment

well it also depends on 7 that we are talking about.... if its a RHD FD3S with a 20B TT stock, then thats different than a FC3S with a 13b TT, or even an FB3S with an ported 12b.
                            and plus, ive never heard of a 350 making more than 800 to the wheels w/o forced induction nor nitrous....

Comment

apparently you have not heard of the nextel cup

Comment

Working...
                              X