Go Back   DRIFTING.com > NEW to DRIFTING (BEGINNERS) > NEW to DRIFTING (BEGINNERS) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Noobs start here (BEGINNERS)

Poll: Was this useful?
Poll Options
Was this useful?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.36 average. Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 08:37 PM   #26
mustangkid
User

thanx for the tips
mustangkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:57 PM   #27
nopo
User

hey i dont want to be a drift pro or anything but i just bout a 1987 corolla ae86 SR5 and and i was going to take it back behind an air por thirs plenty of room and no cops but can i flip i herd all of the ae86 are good for drifting but im going to tri drifting it stock i dont want to flip plz can anyone tell me if thire a chance of it happaning email me plz asap shairegonzalez@sbcglobal.net ty very much
nopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #28
DR_alvin_FT
User

Question

Which engine is better for my s14 if i want to drift? The sr20 or the rb25?
DR_alvin_FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:11 PM   #29
L33TZOR

wow!

this should have been a real easy site to find but i took me a while. I merely came up with it by looking into a drift event for a person i only know thru internet chat. anyway, sorry to see only one whole post for 2005 and a few for 2006 and 2007.

im a noob at drifting. the team i get out with are mostly doing some parking lot things but moving away from that and getting into the real track events for mostly beginners. azdrift.com is the site that takes you to az350z.com.

here in phoenix there are quite a few people getting serious about moddin their cars. i suppose i am that way too.

i just wanted to introduce myself. i got an 06 350z. not sure if im drifting it
yet cuz i am thinking more of a noobie car to bang up to get some skills going.

for know i got the domain mydriftcar.com anyway.

peace,
Ron
Old 07-17-2007, 01:34 PM   #30
TMR Net Shark
User

You forgot a pretty good drift technique... It's actually a counter drift. When there is a long sweeping corner where you think you should drift, don't. Find a gutter on the inside of the corner and put your inside tires in the gutter. This way your tires will hold the lateral G's as you go through the corner at high speed.

Note, it will really tear away at your tires, so do it only when you really need to.
TMR Net Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:09 PM   #31
The_Red_Pirate
User

ok im new to drifting and all but i have a question and a comment the question is where can you learn to drift, just an abandoned parking lot and hope you dont get caught, or wait for the few times a year there is a comp. that allows anyone to enter? and the comment is about that whole drop your tires into a gutter thing, it works real nice in a cartoon but in real life it would have to be one deep gutter to actually be able to withstand any gs or if youre going slow enough to make the turn any way it would work.
The_Red_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #32
sideways ed

Send a message via AIM to sideways ed
clean. me = noob to drifting
sideways ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #33
Gutro
User

Well, I know I'm new here, and Drifting has REALLY sparked my interest...however I have to voice my opinion about the thread for finding a car.

The origonal post is talking about finding a beginner car to "drift" with. Last I checked, Integras, Civics and CRX's are all FWD......How are you to drift in a FWD??? You can't....all you can do is "Power Slide".

Just my own 2 cents.
Gutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:40 PM   #34
paul
User

Question 240sx vs 300 zx whats better for drifting and why ??

i can get a 240sx passes smog for $2500 or a 300zx new rebuilt engine know the history whats better and why sorry newbie question old time drag racer 442 old cutless
Thanks
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:59 PM   #35
paul
User

Question one thing you did not mention the advatages of what car to the next

240sx vs 300 zx what better for drifting and why ??
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #36
CityHunt3R
User

New Guy

Hey wasup fellas!!!
CityHunt3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #37
eomund240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutro View Post
Well, I know I'm new here, and Drifting has REALLY sparked my interest...however I have to voice my opinion about the thread for finding a car.

The origonal post is talking about finding a beginner car to "drift" with. Last I checked, Integras, Civics and CRX's are all FWD......How are you to drift in a FWD??? You can't....all you can do is "Power Slide".

Just my own 2 cents.
Techinically, you can't 'Power Slide' a FF. For it to be called a powerslide, it is required to be sliding under power right?

You can drift anything from high powered cars, to tricycles, to tanks. The definition of drifting is to take the path of least resistance. Doing something like drifting a FWD in a rally cross may be quite different than say Kazama in the D1, but none the less, it's drifting just the same.

And paul, it's up to the drivers preference. Honestly, anything rwd, manual and cheap is good for an early drift car.
If your asking which would be easier, you'd prolly have a better time with the 240. It's much much lighter, and if the 300 has a turbo, you'd be able to control the power of the 240 much easier if your a beginner.
eomund240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:22 PM   #38
DriftPupil
User

Send a message via AIM to DriftPupil Send a message via Yahoo to DriftPupil
yeah

Thank you SOOOOO much
im a noob and this is really helping me with how to do things
next step is to get out and do it
lol
DriftPupil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:35 AM   #39
silvian
User

thanks

Thanks we all appreciate the help man!
silvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:28 AM   #40
Amaya
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda_3ight_6 View Post
fainting= passing out

feinting= making a short usually fake move, used in boxing... eg. He feinted with a jab and hit with a cross... used to describe a feint drift, as you jolt the car one way, to throw the weight that way, then jolt back and drift with MAd TyTE dOrI sKiLLz!

They are different words with differnt meanings... dont confuse them...and just beacuse Gran turismo used a differnt word...dosent mean its right..
Ai ai, engrish loxols!!!
Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #41
Y0uNgPr0
User

yeah

thats was good enough even though im 15 im a great drifter i drive a subaru wrx sti and it goes 308 hp. i either pop klutch drift , e-brake drift or reg brake drift, it all depends on the turrain and the turn
Y0uNgPr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #42
hachiroku-fc3s

Send a message via Yahoo to hachiroku-fc3s
Quote:
Originally Posted by eomund240 View Post
The definition of drifting is to take the path of least resistance. Doing something like drifting a FWD in a rally cross may be quite different than say Kazama in the D1, but none the less, it's drifting just the same.
That's drifting according to the dictionary, but not drifting according to motorsports. Drifting can only be done in a RWD (or rarely AWD) car. Just because your rear isn't following your front doesn't mean you are drifting. Power sliding isn't drifting either. A power slide is a slide as a result of over accelerating through a turn. Drifting is a slide induced prior to the turn and maintained through throttle control. It was created because in the past it was the fastest way around some corners. Locking your e-brake on a fwd car violates the principles on which drifting was founded. Drifting is about car control at its limits. Locking your rears and pulling yourself with your fronts has nothing to do with car control.
hachiroku-fc3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #43
highflyers

How do you reckon a legitimate drift.? To me locking handbrake for 1 sec then release then throttle control can also drift. Its just a subjective and personal preference on the methods on initiation of a drift. For me I clutch kick because a handbrake drift doesn't kick out the rear as fast as a clutch kick / feint drift. If its going to be a good and near to perfect drift I tink it has to be

a) As early as possible before the corner to drift. (Drift Straight)
b) Don't let your brake lights show; i.e try not to brake ( Ignore weight transistion)
c) Feint the drift if you needed the extra momentum.
d) after the drift the car should be straight and as little corrective steering as possible.

Thank u
Old 01-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #44
dizzdrifter
User

Thumbs up nice

hey great forum i think this should stik should a mr2 be a good car for driftin'?
dizzdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #45
dizzdrifter
User

well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
240sx vs 300 zx what better for drifting and why ??
it matters on the style u like cuz drifting gives you the chance to show what your taste and style is. in my opinion i would choose the 240sx cuz its just the style. if u want a good car tune it yourself, tune it how you want to tune it in any case tune the accel up if you want to do speed drifting. but i think you should balance out the performance for just right drift. but i think the 240sx is better. im not sure on the mr2 cuz im not sure on whether i want to do speed drifting or just have a balanced car but i hope this helps you.

dizzdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:27 PM   #46
driftinbaybay

Send a message via AIM to driftinbaybay
Red face New Gal

Excellent post! Thanks for the info.
driftinbaybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #47
mastamarek

Hi everybody. I m new here. I found this forum via google. I have some questions that u might have the answers for. I ve finished 3day racing school and advanced car control from skipbarber racing school so I m not a complete noob. Basically I m looking for same places to practice. I live in chicago and all I can find is empty parking lots at churches during the night. Now is that illegal?? can I go to a parking lot and practice drifting or I ll get a ticket!? If so, anybody knows any good places around chicago to practice. If theres nobody from chicago, maybe someone knows any other drifting forums.
thx in advance
Marek
mastamarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:56 AM   #48
Irishman91

i've noticed their are some people here from the NW mainly Portland, where are their places to drift... preferably legal... if not then oh well i'll still drift. I'm new here and so far i'm diggin this forum, and especially the first post in this thread that will help a bunch
Old 07-25-2008, 02:08 AM   #49
Nissan-Fan
User

this is too good witch this i can really do good drift
Nissan-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #50
hawaiian driftR

Thumbs down lol dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoEpidemic View Post
Since there have been many complaints about noobs infesting the forum and not using the infamous "search button," I took the liberty of doing it all myself for you noobs.

After reading that I think it would be a good time to read this post started by me to help choose a good car for a family member of mine.
Starter Car

So you think you found the right car for yourself, but don't know where to get one... Here's a site (also a magazine you can purchase) called AutoTrader. I personally recommend using this site due to the fact that:
A) Its easy to use.
B) You can find cars in your area.
C) Most of the cars are fairly cheap. (I bought my '91 300zx for about 4k using this site.)
There are other sites to use, but that is the best one that comes to mind.

Ok... So you bought a car (you have some left over cash) and now you want to make a couple modifications to it... No problem, but I would recommend getting used to your car in the stock form. But if you really insist on modding out your car, Yahoo has many auto part sales sites. A couple sites I have found useful are:
A) Mod-A-Car
B) 2kRacing
C) Advanced Auto
There are many, many more sites out there. So don't limit yourself to just those.

So let’s recap...
You've read up some on what drifting is.
You have a car. Maybe you slapped 15k into it maybe you didn't.
You've practiced for a couple weeks and feel you are up for new challenges. Here are some techniques (correct me if I am in anyway wrong past this point.)

I'm going to go in alphabetical order (not in order of difficulty) of what techniques I can think of. I'm also researching these as I go along so I get everything right. YES, I AM DOING RESEARCH FOR YOU!

First we have...

“Braking drifting”
To perform this, trail brake into a corner. As you do this, you will lose grip. When that happens, balance the car by steering and using throttle motions. This is normally used on medium to low speed corners.

“Clutch Kick”
To do this depress the clutch pedal while approaching or during a mild drift. Then pop the clutch to give a sudden jolt. When you do this, the jolt makes the driveline disturbed and the rear loses traction.

“Dirt Drop Drift” (If you have seen Initial D they refer to it as the “Gutter Technique.”)
This is performed by “dropping” the rear tires off the side of the road and into the dirt to keep or gain drift angle without losing power or speed and to set up for the next turn. Note that this technique is very useful for low horsepower cars. (Just like the “86.”)

"E-Brake Drift" (Described by Nissanguy_24)
This is a very basic technique. Just pull the hand break (a.k.a. the E-Break) to make the back of your car lose traction and balance the drift by steering and quick throttle motions. This can also be very useful when you need to correct errors or fine tune you angle of drift.

"Faint Drift"
To do this, rock the car towards the outside of the turn and then, using the rebound of grip, throw the car into the regular cornering direction. Quick note: This is a rally racing technique that is used to change your car’s approach during cornering, normally used on tight corners.

"FF Drift" (Front wheel drive drift)
The E-brake, steering, and braking techniques must be used to balance your car through the corner. The E-brake however is the main method used to balance out your drift.

"Jump Drift"
In this technique bounce the rear tire on the apex (this means the inside) of the turn over the curb to lose traction resulting in over steer.

"Kansei Drift"
You have to be pretty fast for this. When entering a high speed corner lift your foot off the throttle. This induces a mild over steer. Then balance the drift by steering and throttle motions. To do this however, your car should be a neutral balanced car. Therefore the over steer will induce itself. If the car plows through the turn this technique won’t work.

"Long Slide Drift"
Yet another use for the E-brake. Pull the E-brake through a strait to start a high angel drift and hold it so you set up for the turn ahead. Now remember, this can obviously only be done at high speed. Otherwise you wont slide to far.

I think that’s enough for now... There are many more techniques, but the best one is up to you. To look for more techniques and what not, visit the DRIFTING Technique forum. Its always good to read, but don't forget to practice. Anyways, by the time you learn half the techniques up there you are probably very good, or very lucky.

I hope this helped you all out. And I hope this clears up some of the useless threadage. I'm not trying to frighten anyone away, but due to a recent coalition of people not liking the forum being stormed by new comers and attacking them to use the "search button." Here is the work done for you, and I not only used the site's search button but Google as well.

I don't feel this is the best lesson in drifting, but it should give you a start and something to learn from. I'm, however, hoping this will become a sticky, but that is up to the administration.
u spelled brake wrong its spelled b-r-a-k-e not break lol nub go back to school

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: