Go Back   DRIFTING.com > NEW to DRIFTING (BEGINNERS) > NEW to DRIFTING (BEGINNERS) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Noobs start here (BEGINNERS)

Poll: Was this useful?
Poll Options
Was this useful?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.36 average. Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 01:18 AM   #51
Drift_Magazine

Smile thanks

This was a great read, thanks for the quick overview!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #52
gijoey

hi, i'm new to this site but not new to the forum rules...search is my friend. the wife picked up a solstice gxp and i figured it wouldn't hurt for me to learn a bit more about drifting since i'll be using her ride to pick up milk . i've watched it on the speed channel and really enjoy the sport and i'm also looking into drift101, just waiting on some answers from them. either way, just going to spend some time reading the threads now.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #53
mmm moosed

this is a really good thread... two thumbs up
Old 12-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #54
willman1080

this helped me out ALOT thanks.Even though im 14 i love drifting,I don't know what car i want to get....or if i should start out in parking lots,country roads,ect. and i dont want to drift because its popular(trust me,its not that popular where i live) i want to do it because i love it. ive been watching it forever and if annybody can help me out,thanks. oh yeah...im new to this site
Old 12-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #55
cheesy586

Send a message via AIM to cheesy586 Send a message via MSN to cheesy586 Send a message via Yahoo to cheesy586
nice this will really help but I already know all the info about drifting, But I need to if I cant drift certain cars, like SUVs, and I mean drifting them on dry pavement
cheesy586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #56
neuspeed

nice

nice reading there,, but it will more useful if u can devide to basic technique and advance technique.. so for newbie,, they can practice the basic technique of drifting which are power over, clutch kick and E-brake.. juz my 2 cent
neuspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #57
Ageara

WOW this helped alot thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 05:28 AM   #58
CaptainCanuck

Why does everyone here call it a feint drift? Until reading this description had no idea what was being talked about. Now, if you are talking about turning the car the opposite direction of the turn, then the direction of the turn, and finally catching it with opposite lock. (Then of course leting the back slide out as far as you dare, and hard on the throttle to brig it back straight). Are you not talking about the old Scandinavian flick?
CaptainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:40 AM   #59
CaptainCanuck

As far as I know, that is the reality of the situation. The question i, will my claim be accepted, or am I going to have to fight for this one?
CaptainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #60
eyehate

So now that you all know the different drift techniques, how do you set your car up to drift?

Here is some info to help out low horsepower drifters (cross platform). This helped me learn very quickly and took out a ton of the frustration my friends were having.

Get a grip. If your front tires are old, or are no good you won't be able to drift very well. Spend some coin on a good set of fronts. This will be the difference between a fun day at the track and hitting a tire wall. Grippy front tires will allow you to initiate harder, corner faster and hold more angle than those take offs you snagged from the local tire shop.

Don't be a baller. If you have 94 horsepower, then why are you trying to drift 18x10's? They make look the part, but they will only make you frustrated. Besides, 18's are expensive. Bite the trend bullet and get yourself a few sets of 15 or 16" rims. You are not only saving a ton of rotating weight by doing this, but a smaller diameter wheel accelerates quicker.

Size matters. Wide tires are great for grip driving. You are trying to drift with little power, so don't go out and source a 235 series tire because its fits the 18's mentioned above. Take the 15's or 16's you just got and fit them with a skinny little 205 series or less. Again less rotational weight, and more important, less rear contact patch.

Pump it up. 65psi in your rear tires nuff said. Just watch out, because when those suckers blow, they blow.

Disconnect. If you are having problems initiating or holding a drift, try to disconnect one of the endlinks on your front sway bar. You don't have to take the whole sway off, just the one link. This will make the front end a bit softer than the rear and make initiating and holding a drift much easier.

Make the investment. Buy a good set of coils. You may already know this will help, but you have no idea how much it actually does. Run a few degrees of - camber up front, and some out back if you are having problems with too much rear grip (only if 70psi is not working for you).

At this point you should have the basis to take your car to the track and have a ton of fun.

hope this helped!
eyehate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #61
KaizenStrife

Do you need ABS off to drift?? or could you drift with it?
KaizenStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #62
pete_07

good stuff !
pete_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:54 AM   #63
DataXUnknown

Send a message via AIM to DataXUnknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaizenStrife View Post
Do you need ABS off to drift?? or could you drift with it?
You can easily drift with it. ABS will not affect very much at all as when your drifting, the initiaions of most don't require braking (besides useing weight transfer). ABS or not, you will be fine either way.
DataXUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #64
StreetSaleen61

Thanks for the help

Yeah this thread helps me a lot. still feel like a huge noob especially cause this is my first post.
StreetSaleen61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:56 AM   #65
AtomikJDM

This guide is awesome. Thanks for taking the time to post this. It was very helpful.
AtomikJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #66
Rooki3

nice write up, thanx
Old 07-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #67
86lover

This has really helped me.
86lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:15 AM   #68
Majestik8

Very useful thread!
Majestik8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #69
ka24drifter

Thumbs up

Good thread its good to get to read about several different techniques in on place.

Im new to this forum I own a 95 s14 and love drifting. Im also a member on the 240sx forums. I signed up to this forum hoping to get to know some drift buddys ,and find about drift events happening in sandiego.
ka24drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #70
kiba_wolf

very nice post , and you're right about autotrader , I'm always checking for a good ride there . hopefully I'll find a good 240 here in t.j
kiba_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: