Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• explain drifting... physics way

hi everyone.

i am writing a paper on the physics of drifting to educate my prof. about it but before i can completely analyze it, i need to be more confident on the info that i'm going to be using:

1.why does shifting weights so important? is it to make it easier to kick out the car's rear end?

2. is the reason that drifting enables one to go through a curve faster is because you use the centripetal acceleration of the curve?

3. is the tendency of the car to drift on the outside lane in a curve just happens to front wheel driven cars? does it help to kick out the rear end of rear wheel cars?

I already have pretty good ideas and explanations on these given what I know, which is unfortunately just basic physics but any input would definitely be appreciated from those who knows more about it =) and of course any physics related ideas that you know would definitely me helpful.

thanks for those who reply.

well i think i might be able to help you a bit, lets see

-wieght shifting by braking before the turn helps get the wieght on the front two tires, which gives them more grip, which increases thier ability to direct the car, aka more controlled oversteer

-drifting isn't faster, the grip of the tires when they are sliding sideways slows the car down; drifting can be used like braking (to slow the car down) in some stituations. Drifting can be faster in some cases, but its a rare event. drifting is basically using the momentum of a car to keep speed through at turn, in other words, its trying to maintain momentum, just redirecting it.

-no, the car wants to go to the outside because it is sliding and has no traction, kinda like on ice. Front wheel drive cars will pull the car to the inside of a turn more, becasue the front wheels have to be facing more forward (or the car will snap understeer) and they have more traction then the rear wheels because they arnt being thrown horizontally as much, so they will be pulling the car to the inside of the curve.

i hope that helps. from your grammar it sounds like you are younger, so iono if this is too in depth for your report, but you might try researching traction circles and suspension geometry and stuff like, that kind of stuff will fill ALOT of pages in a report if you need length.

Comment

In your research be sure to look here:

Comment

Key concepts to talk about in your paper would be:

1) Momentum
        2) Balance
        3) Weight transfer
        4) Contact patch
        5) Pivot point

Comment

This might help you with the forces on the car.
          http://www.corollaperformance.com/TechInfo/RWD.html

Comment

Originally posted by gladhatter
            In your research be sure to look here:
            haha nice

Comment

Throwing your back end out is very inprotant for taking the turn side ways. The inertia and force of your back end sliding out and the angle of the tires going into the turn is in my opinion the most inportant part of the drift, and geting there is the challenge. Now as far as drifting being faster.... well it all depends on the road/track that your on. Most race tracks and roads are designed for grib drive hence the angles of an indy track for exsample. But dritfing can win a race if you going in to a tight turn or down a side a mountian. A drift can be wonderfully usefull if the turn is to sharpe. For if you drift on a sharpe windy mountain turn you car may slow down to 40 or 35 due to the tires sliding(which is why you down shift to 2nd so your rpms can stay high and you can come out of the turn and regain speed) to were if you grip drove throught the same turn you would have to slow down to 25 or lower in order to take the same turn. Anyways check out this site they explain all about different drifting techniques and why they are used. To understand the moving phyics of an object you must understant the object its self, and why the person controling the object is menuating it, in the way that they are.

http://www.driftsession.com/technique.htm

Comment

thank you, thank you, thank you

i just want to say thank you guys for replying to me with wonderful information that were definitely helpful.

trying to explain drifting through physics showed me just how wonderful the technique really is and how much perfection it entails from the driver. the ability to coordinate to be able to balance the forces acting on the car from the car it self, then the curve then the pavement... i am getting excited just talking about it.

by the way, i already finish and submitted my report to my professor just so you know...

but i think it's essential for everyone to realize what makes drifting possible in the first place so people can truly appreciate the talent of those who are able to do the technique, flawlessly.

as i said in my report, a car drifting down a mountain is like seeing a snake easing through the curves.

Comment

Re: explain drifting... physics way

Originally posted by qriousphoenix
                  hi everyone.

i am writing a paper on the physics of drifting to educate my prof. about it but before i can completely analyze it, i need to be more confident on the info that i'm going to be using:

1.why does shifting weights so important? is it to make it easier to kick out the car's rear end?

2. is the reason that drifting enables one to go through a curve faster is because you use the centripetal acceleration of the curve?

3. is the tendency of the car to drift on the outside lane in a curve just happens to front wheel driven cars? does it help to kick out the rear end of rear wheel cars?

I already have pretty good ideas and explanations on these given what I know, which is unfortunately just basic physics but any input would definitely be appreciated from those who knows more about it =) and of course any physics related ideas that you know would definitely me helpful.

thanks for those who reply.
                  its all about having fun

Comment

i know that except that i can't really put that in a physics research paper without any explanation regarding the beauty of the technique itself and why we find it invigorating.

Comment

Im also taking highschool physics and i would like to say i will never know the formula for centripetal acceleration. But i sure do know how to slide through a corner.

Comment

Working...
                      X