Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KYLE MOHAN: Long Beach Preview

Kyle Mohan Racing: Long Beach Preview

April 8, 2008 (Signal Hill, Calif.) – Two years ago, Kyle Mohan couldn’t believe his luck when Formula Drift scheduled their season-opening round on the Streets of Long Beach.

Mohan, who grew up not far from the downtown track, had just received his Formula Drift license and planned to compete in the entire season. Kicking off his first season of professional drifting so close to his home, friends, family and sponsors was a dream come true.

However, Mohan has not yet seen eye-to-eye on the difficult course that has been referred to as the Concrete Canyon. It is short, tight, demanding, and leaves no room for error – and with extremely limited practice, is difficult for a privateer to give maximum commitment. Mohan nearly put it in the show that first year, with a 100pt. run in qualifying that was disallowed when he spun at the final clipping point.

Last year, with a new car and running his own team, Mohan didn’t even make it as far as the final clipping point – and left the event more than disappointed with his performance. But after an otherwise successful 2007 season, and a long winter of testing and development, Mohan is poised and ready to have another shot at it.

“I haven’t had the best of luck here, but the Long Beach course isn’t one where you can count on luck,” said Mohan. “You really just have to be extremely committed. It’s tough to be that committed, because the course is so narrow and you can’t see very far ahead. ”

Mohan will be competing at the Formula Drift weekend with support from Mazdatrix, the Signal Hill-based Mazda performance shop where Mohan works. Mazdatrix owner, Dave Lemon, competed in the Trans-Am event during the Long Beach Grand Prix from 1988 to 1990. Drifting didn’t exist in anyone’s vocabulary back then, but in a roundabout way, Mohan brings Mazdatrix back to the same streets that it competed on almost 20 years ago.

“Dave gets a kick out of watching a Mazdatrix car compete at Long Beach,” says Mohan. “He would have never gotten behind the wheel of a drift car, so it’s nice to have him involved in Long Beach again.”

Mohan takes to the track, with the rest of the Formula Drift series, on Friday morning for practice.

About Kyle Mohan Racing

Kyle Mohan Racing competes in the Formula Drift Pro Championship aboard a Mazda RX-7. For more information, visit the newly-redesigned www.kylemohanracing.com.

Good luck Kyle...Hope you do well and show your true talent.

Comment

ended up in 4th place, good show, even with a broken 3rd gear

Comment

Great Job Kyle!!

Kyle had some really consistent runs and ended up qualifying eighth out of the unseeded drivers. Kyle had a huge smile the whole day and good for him because let me remind everybody that this was kyle's first time to qualify top sixteen more than less top eighth to the final four. I can honestly say i knew he had it in him. Well deserved..

js

enjoy the pics!

Comment

it's good to be lucky

Congrats to Kyle!

Comment

great job kyle!!

Comment

KYLE GOOD JOB...
              I heard broken gear limited your performance in the last 2 runs??????

Comment

Proud of you Kyle!!!!!!

Comment

congrats man. you killed it. not sure if some of you guys know but Kyle is one of the og canyon guys out here in SoCal.

Comment

Kyle that is soooo awesome! Congrats man!

Comment

great f***n job kyle

wow....kyle repped the fc and rotary fans and drivers very well.with a broken 3rd gear in the final few runs,he really was impressive.kyle really improved his driving this year because last year,he didnt even make an event that i can remember?see you guys this weekend at long beach.....

Comment

Working...
                      X