Go Back   DRIFTING.com > DRIFTING Technique > DRIFTING Technique Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

FWD overstreering/drifting/ *** dragging

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #26
Tercel_Drifter

For Drifting I like stock Paseo Skinny tires (15"s) in the rear and in the front i use 15"s as well but ideally they're about half an in. wider, if I'm not mistaken. For breaking the rear loose at lower speeds (good for practice) i use the stock 13" tires in the rear. Mind you these set-ups are not for day to day driving. But for pratical purposes. You might try using the same size tires all around except that in the front use slicks. One of my friends has a 93 sentra se-r and it seems to the sentra performs well with this set-up

Last edited by Tercel_Drifter; 08-13-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Tercel_Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:49 PM   #27
DJchinwoo

Send a message via Yahoo to DJchinwoo
Fwd

Yea for my First car i had to learn In a INtegra..yuck..but i totalled that thing real Soon..
DJchinwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:32 PM   #28
mranlet
Smokes Dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Alliance
Your best bet is to ditch your tercel, and get a RWD ANYTHING

Most useless post ever?
mranlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:53 AM   #29
driftfreak
Pita didnt like my avitar

Send a message via AIM to driftfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by mranlet

Most useless post ever?
nope..good advise..
driftfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:31 PM   #30
BlakeFuller

Ok, so here comes my FF drifting thoughts:

Getting a FF car to drift is a bit like dancing with a pig. You see on the one hand it's really impressive to be able to get a pig to dance, but on the other hand, you're still dancing with a pig!

That being said. For non-competition, pure fun if you have an FF car and you like drifting, go for it and learn car control.

Besides 70%(if not more) of the people now rockin 240's that used to drive Honda's never really learned how to drive their FF cars properly anyways.

Remember it's better to have 70%(FF) of the car your friend has (FR) and be able to drive it 100% than to have 100% car and be able to drive it 70%.
BlakeFuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:46 AM   #31
HoosierDrifter

i say drifting is a controlled slide.... ff drifting is a controlled slide... thank you
HoosierDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:12 PM   #32
driftfreak
Pita didnt like my avitar

Send a message via AIM to driftfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDrifter
i say drifting is a controlled slide.... ff drifting is a controlled slide... thank you
A 4 wheel drift in road racing sence is a controlled slide..not in the JDM touge ect. what ever sence..
I guess the term "drifting" confuses a few people that are making the cross from auto-x and road racing.
If you have ever gone out and done the JDM style drift in a RWD car or have even seen a decent person do it, then you will know its is a lot more than a controlled slide.
driftfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:11 AM   #33
silver_beast

Send a message via MSN to silver_beast Send a message via Yahoo to silver_beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tercel_Drifter
Aright there are techniques that FWD can't use such clutch kicks and power over. However a techinique that I have found to be awsome is the art of engine braking. I essence engine braking is just another wieght transfer technique. However FWD car are the best cars to utilize engine braking. Or better said they are the most efficient cars for it(along side AWD cars).

There are a few reasons why FWD is an ideal platform for engine braking based drifts (and engine braking in gerneral). In FWD drive cars the front tires power the cars movement (duh) and when braking a car wieght is transfred to the front. The front tires increase gripping capacity and can apply more stopping force

Engine braking is not as valuable in RWD cars because the wieght still transferd foward so the braking capacity of the rear tires is some what inefficient. the front tires will increase in grip, but during engine braking they are not providing the stoping power.

Now the most important reasons why engine braking works so well in FWD cars is because the rear tires are free they are uneffected by the engine's power. when engine braking the wieght transfer is fast and a bit violent, the rear tires in theory are using 0 percent braking and will continue to hold momentum. While the front of the car is slowing down.

Application would be as follows: aprouch a coner in say 3rd gear, pick a point where you would like to initiate a drift. right before reaching that point downshift fast. whithin a slit second you'll fell like your car was kicked, quickly input your steering. beacause you have down shifted your car should be set to rev high one you decide to hit the throtle again.

depending on your car you might be able downshift more than one gear. but i suggest starting with one and seeing how your transmission holds
ENGINE BRAKING follows the same concepts as LEFT FOOT BRAKING in weight tranfer with the exception of now you could really mess up your tranny, HMMMM new tranny or new brakes? It took me awhile to admit to it that FF Drifting is just really *** dragging, but to each there own i took the basics that i learned on my 3G eclipse spyder meaning the 180, 90, 360 turns and applied to FRs and the diffrence is CRAZY!!! The point is to have a starting block to what you want to do and apply yourself to it.
silver_beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:27 PM   #34
Tercel_Drifter

your right

Your 100% right engine braking is just another wieght transfer technique. I was merely making a point about its application. I personally prefer lift off, but I assumed most people would know that any slidding of thier car is going to put massive stress on nearly every part of there car.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:26 PM   #35
KYLE ARAI

Send a message via AIM to KYLE ARAI Send a message via Yahoo to KYLE ARAI
I won the drift show off in hawaii I an 91 civic foor door.
KYLE ARAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:15 PM   #36
silver_beast

Send a message via MSN to silver_beast Send a message via Yahoo to silver_beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE ARAI

Well congrats but there will always be people that will not accept an FF to be capable of a continious controlled drift that's really how it will end up, the opinion of each individual and their point of view on what drifting is will 99.9% be controdicted by one person or another.
silver_beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:25 PM   #37
Tercel_Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE ARAI
congrats you rock
Old 03-20-2006, 09:29 PM   #38
juggalonickle
User

thanx

thank u for this it has helped me alot, but im still having some problems. my car is a fwd automatic so i was wondering if u or ne1 knew of some different techniquse tht could help me thanx again
juggalonickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:35 PM   #39
SpeeDrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggalonickle
thank u for this it has helped me alot, but im still having some problems. my car is a fwd automatic so i was wondering if u or ne1 knew of some different techniquse tht could help me thanx again

i know a great technique that will help you alot.

SELL that crappy fwd automatic!!!! car!!! and get a rwd car.(240sx )
SpeeDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:07 PM   #40
DRFT_MARO
Bow to the god of V8!

You can always try what my buddy did. He would follow a good like through the corner, but the front tires of his Accord would be pointed full lock to the inside of the corner and he'd be standing on the throttle understeering like hell. It's rather interesting to see realy...
DRFT_MARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:13 PM   #41
blargonator

Send a message via AIM to blargonator
haha i wish i had a rabbit GTI <8- )
but instead i have a 88 golf GTI 1.8 16 valve. it has some pep in its step and back when my brakes were up to par (right now a line is leaking like a mofo) i would kick the tail out every once in a while. i tried left foot braking but i need to practice some more because i can't control very well while pushing down instead of releasing.

but anyway, trail braking is simple. you won't be speeding up, but it defiently helps you rotate the car and maybe you can take a better line.
not really drifting, but just a little fun
blargonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:43 PM   #42
asiangento

Send a message via AIM to asiangento
hey there Tercel_Drifter, i use to drift a 84 sentra wagon. hahah... it was pretty funny. but anyways, from my experience with that, i found that the tricky part was that you have more things to worry about. like in a rwd, you control the rear end with the gas and control the front with the wheel. however, in a fwd, you control the rear with the ebrake, control your direction with the wheel, and have to control the speed with the gas... making sure not to just smoke the front or you'll understeer.

well... that's it for now. i recommend that you try to make it out to an event and slide it around. events teach you much more then the streets ever will.

-quoc
asiangento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:49 PM   #43
5k3l3t0r
User

What the hell is request for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Alliance View Post
Your best bet is to ditch your tercel, and get a RWD ANYTHING
Why fall in with what everyone else is doing? It is cheaper to get a FWD car and easier to get. The reason you think that I RWD is better is because you can't get it with a FWD.
5k3l3t0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #44
driftykl47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeFuller View Post
Ok, so here comes my FF drifting thoughts:

Getting a FF car to drift is a bit like dancing with a pig. You see on the one hand it's really impressive to be able to get a pig to dance, but on the other hand, you're still dancing with a pig!

That being said. For non-competition, pure fun if you have an FF car and you like drifting, go for it and learn car control.

Besides 70%(if not more) of the people now rockin 240's that used to drive Honda's never really learned how to drive their FF cars properly anyways.

Remember it's better to have 70%(FF) of the car your friend has (FR) and be able to drive it 100% than to have 100% car and be able to drive it 70%.
Your friend has more potential. If you can get better at drifting FR, get FR. It's got way more potential to be a lot more fun. It's easy to say, oh I love driving and drifting FF when it's all you have. It's a lot easier to say I love drifting FF than it is to say, hey... I'm going to sell my car and buy a 240 (which is like $1500-$2500). I would say... find a friend with a 240 w/ LSD and then try to get him to let you practice on his car for a few weeks and then really... really... if you still think you still want FF... then.. I need talk about a few things with you.
driftykl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #45
theSidesweep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOASjjpRnXk

here's a good example of what can be done
theSidesweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #46
knubs

one thing i do to my car is i take a strap and stretch it over the button on the e-brake, then i slide a hose clamp over that. this holds the button down and leaves me less to worry about. i also use a broady knob. i lost my right hand so those 2 things are life savers in drifting for me! luckily i can still hook my knub on the e-brake ;] haha
Old 11-27-2010, 06:05 AM   #47
Cavi Mike

Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Unless you can do this with your FWD car, don't waste your time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJrEJb0HaeY

And don't expect a response when quoting someones 5 y/o post, especially when they haven't checked the board in over a year.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #48
driftykl47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
Unless you can do this with your FWD car, don't waste your time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJrEJb0HaeY

And don't expect a response when quoting someones 5 y/o post, especially when they haven't checked the board in over a year.
That's a good point. I just saw the thread pop up and figured if someone was going to read the response about the FF, I would chime in. Gonna def look at the date next time I pull up a quote tho.
driftykl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #49
tenorsextets

Hey all, I'm know I'm a n00b, but everyone was at one time. I currently have a CRV, but I really want to get a Civic coupe sometime in the future (not the Si because I can't afford the insurance or premium gas). Obviously, I'm not going to get a new one, maybe a 5-year-old one, but I was wondering what upgrades/setups would be necessary to make sure I don't ruin anything.
tenorsextets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #50
Cavi Mike

Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Why would you "really want to get a Civic coupe sometime in the future?" You do realize you signed up on a drifting forum, right?
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front wheel drive drifting, front wheel drive drifting techniques, fwd drift, fwd drifting, fwd how to drift

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: