Go Back   DRIFTING.com > DRIFTING Technique > DRIFTING Technique Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

kanji symbol for 'drifting'

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2004, 01:01 PM   #1
totoro001
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
kanji symbol for 'drifting'

or 'drift racing' or something like that.. i know there's one for touge, which i have.. but i want 'drifting'.. anyone help me out? any of you native japanese people?

thanks in advance
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:30 PM   #2
SHIFT_drift
RB26 Z33
 
SHIFT_drift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancity
Posts: 325
i found this one somewhere on the net which supposedly means drift.. i dunno if it's kanji or what...
Attached Images
 
SHIFT_drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:08 PM   #3
akum6n
Newbie
 
akum6n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: bad part of town
Posts: 10
That says "drift" or do-ri-fu-to in katakana-- katakana is the character set japanese use to translate foreign words (like English words). Kanji is different cause it looks like chinese characters. I'm not sure there is a kanji for 'drift.'
akum6n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:37 PM   #4
damicci
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5
hmmmm

I don't think there is actual kanji for drifting or for the sport itself.

mostly you'll see dori or dorifuto in katakana as mentioned before.
damicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 06:04 AM   #5
Feint
ドリフト
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 933
Quote:
Originally posted by akum6n
That says "drift" or do-ri-fu-to in katakana-- katakana is the character set japanese use to translate foreign words (like English words). Kanji is different cause it looks like chinese characters. I'm not sure there is a kanji for 'drift.'
the middle one is hiragana.

Do you have japanese support?

ドリフト=drift. Also in my custom title..
ドリキン=Drift King
山=mountain
峠=pass

Explain enough.You'll only be able to see this if your comp supports japanese.
Feint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 05:13 PM   #6
_uG TM
Touge only.
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: portland
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally posted by SHIFT_drift
i found this one somewhere on the net which supposedly means drift.. i dunno if it's kanji or what...
That is all Katakana. the 'ri' Hiragana, and Katakana look the same.
_uG TM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 05:15 PM   #7
VRDjr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
^ The whole thing is Katakana. Hiragana and Katakana use a very similar character for, "Ri" but it isn't the same. As the person above me just said...damn these slow fingers.

There is no kanji for, "drift" in the context that you are talking about. I'm not even sure why you're asking, I mean, why would you want to be another fool on the street with kanji that you can't read yourself? Seriously, it just looks bad.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 06:49 PM   #8
markeese180sx
Registered User
 
markeese180sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: kanagawa-ken, japan
Posts: 1,098
Quote:
Originally posted by VRDjr
^ The whole thing is Katakana. Hiragana and Katakana use a very similar character for, "Ri" but it isn't the same. As the person above me just said...damn these slow fingers.

There is no kanji for, "drift" in the context that you are talking about. I'm not even sure why you're asking, I mean, why would you want to be another fool on the street with kanji that you can't read yourself? Seriously, it just looks bad.
exactizzlely...drifting is a foreign word and thats why its in katakana
markeese180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 06:51 PM   #9
driftxtreem
Pimp daddy D
 
driftxtreem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,623
Touge has a kanji for it because it meens mountain road. Drift is a western word that is spelled in romaji. Romaji is written in Katakana and sometimes Hiragana to be diffewrent like sighns, and adds.
driftxtreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 07:10 PM   #10
markeese180sx
Registered User
 
markeese180sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: kanagawa-ken, japan
Posts: 1,098
Quote:
Originally posted by driftxtreem
Touge has a kanji for it because it meens mountain road. Drift is a western word that is spelled in romaji. Romaji is written in Katakana and sometimes Hiragana to be diffewrent like sighns, and adds.
hai domo
markeese180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 07:20 PM   #11
driftxtreem
Pimp daddy D
 
driftxtreem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally posted by markeese180sx
hai domo
wassup I just bought another s13 for a 100 let me know when you ready for a car.
driftxtreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 07:39 PM   #12
markeese180sx
Registered User
 
markeese180sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: kanagawa-ken, japan
Posts: 1,098
for a 100? how much could you sell it to me for? pm me with the specs if ya can +price to ship it down and all that good stuff
markeese180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 07:43 PM   #13
driftxtreem
Pimp daddy D
 
driftxtreem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally posted by markeese180sx
for a 100? how much could you sell it to me for? pm me with the specs if ya can +price to ship it down and all that good stuff
Dude I bought it for its parts. Sr20 de no turbi, auto, but it has the projecter headlights and a clean interior. Runs good but far from a drift car.
driftxtreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 07:47 PM   #14
markeese180sx
Registered User
 
markeese180sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: kanagawa-ken, japan
Posts: 1,098
Quote:
Originally posted by driftxtreem
Dude I bought it for its parts. Sr20 de no turbi, auto, but it has the projecter headlights and a clean interior. Runs good but far from a drift car.

how much cheaper would it be if i were going to buy from you and have it drive down to kanagawa..rather than buying an over priced one here?
markeese180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 02:33 AM   #15
driftxtreem
Pimp daddy D
 
driftxtreem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally posted by markeese180sx
how much cheaper would it be if i were going to buy from you and have it drive down to kanagawa..rather than buying an over priced one here?
lots
driftxtreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 03:25 AM   #16
markeese180sx
Registered User
 
markeese180sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: kanagawa-ken, japan
Posts: 1,098
what could you do for around 300,000 yen?
markeese180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 03:54 AM   #17
driftxtreem
Pimp daddy D
 
driftxtreem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,623
thats like three grand but I could get you a good entry level drift car and get it on the road. (shaken)
driftxtreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 07:41 AM   #18
totoro001
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Ooohh... that would explain why i couldn't find the kanji symbol for drift then.. alright, thanks for all your help guys (and maybe gals.. i dunno, it's possible)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #19
socalwrench
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 72
I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to post an update. Considering the word 'drift' is technically an American English term, it has been translated.

The JDM magazine Drift Tengoku (Drift Paradise) uses this version. It has lead to some confusion since the title uses one hiragana translation next to traditional kanji [ドリフト 天国]

DO RI FU TO = ド リ フ ト

Last edited by socalwrench; 12-10-2009 at 12:48 PM.
socalwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:51 AM.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.