Go Back   DRIFTING.com > DRIFTING Technique > DRIFTING Technique Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"DRIFT TRUCK" Im gonna Do It!!! Goods and Bads?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 662 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-09-2006, 11:31 AM   #101
Mike Peters

true story, i can vouch
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:30 AM   #102
BenR

We're going to cage the dualie, in case it rains at all the FD qualifiers next year, Gary's going to drift the truck.
BenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:03 PM   #103
djnarush
Truck Drifter

Send a message via AIM to djnarush Send a message via Yahoo to djnarush
so are they, or are they NOT going to allow trucks in Formula D
djnarush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:07 PM   #104
ToplessFC3Sman

Send a message via AIM to ToplessFC3Sman
If i take the trunklid off the back of my 'vert FC, would that count as a truck? a truck with pop-up headlights and a convertible top. Awesome!
ToplessFC3Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:20 PM   #105
Slapshotnerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnarush
so are they, or are they NOT going to allow trucks in Formula D
as long as it has the appropriate bracing and safety equipment, i don't see why they wouldn't...
Slapshotnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #106
Mike Peters

haha, some brokeback is using rainbow in their avatar
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:32 PM   #107
functionFiRst

Thumbs up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPz2e...kyline%20truck

You could do it Too!
functionFiRst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:40 AM   #108
Ran Kizama

Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionFiRst
Vid = Cool as Hell. I want one.

Thread = Old as Dirt. Let it die. Even though I want to build a Hardbody drifter too.
Ran Kizama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:48 PM   #109
djnarush
Truck Drifter

Send a message via AIM to djnarush Send a message via Yahoo to djnarush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran Kizama
Thread = Old as Dirt
WHOA., this thread is THREE YEARS OLD....
and no one STILL drifts a truck :P

its funny how many people say they want to do it... then dont.
actually, its typical.
but yeah, this thread needs to be locked
djnarush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:58 AM   #110
Ran Kizama

Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnarush
its funny how many people say they want to do it... then dont.
actually, its typical.
I think the big part of it is that there is a lot of fabircation needed and people just don't want to take the time to do it.
Ran Kizama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:19 PM   #111
JonnySlick

Location: Just Moved to Crossville, TN from Las Vegas ... wow what a change!
Send a message via Yahoo to JonnySlick
odd thing is that if you search local threads you'll see random pics of 'yota and nissans trucks at drift events. there was a guy on DC that drifted his tocoma for past 2 years ... his vids were fun to watch. no where at the caliber of a silvia or hachi driver ... but still neat.
JonnySlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:03 PM   #112
sikend6985

its now 2008

and i will be in F D 2009 with a 1990 nissan d21 aka hardbody mini truck, to all those that never did it i did
Old 12-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #113
Toycoma

uh, who are you?? You went through the pro-am series and got your FD license? If no, how do you think you are going to be in FD in 09?
Toycoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #114
hunterd557

Send a message via AIM to hunterd557 Send a message via Yahoo to hunterd557
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikend6985 View Post
and i will be in F D 2009 with a 1990 nissan d21 aka hardbody mini truck, to all those that never did it i did
hunterd557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #115
sikend6985

uh, who are you?? You went through the pro-am series and got your FD license? If no, how do you think you are going to be in FD in 09
that was the easy part i cliped the rear and got to switch the rear end for an s13 you can drift with leaf springs but i wouldnt
Old 12-23-2008, 03:58 AM   #116
hunterd557

Quote:
uh, who are you?? You went through the pro-am series and got your FD license? If no, how do you think you are going to be in FD in 09
that was the easy part i cliped the rear and got to switch the rear end for an s13 you can drift with leaf springs but i wouldnt
ROFLMAO! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Okay! The question was, do you have your FD license? Not what imaginary modifications have you done to your truck, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

-Dave
Old 12-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #117
Justin Banner

Send a message via MSN to Justin Banner Send a message via Yahoo to Justin Banner
Quote:
Why not just do a three or four link and coilovers, or even a torque arm setup? You don't have to lose the live axle.
Justin Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #118
hunterd557

Don't waste your breath, Justin, I just checked the PRO-AM site, SpeedHunters and Google . . . there aren't any truck drifters who are licensed for 09 comp, at all! He's lying.

-Dave
Old 12-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #119
Justin Banner

Send a message via MSN to Justin Banner Send a message via Yahoo to Justin Banner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterd557 View Post
Don't waste your breath, Justin, I just checked the PRO-AM site, SpeedHunters and Google . . . there aren't any truck drifters who are licensed for 09 comp, at all! He's lying.

-Dave
Yeah, just realized it was the same fool. His last post confused me for a moment.

But, still, if you were going to use a pickup, a three link or torque arm setup would be enough and you don't have to get rid of the live axle. I still eventually want to do a 4.0L or Turbo 2.3L Ranger "Drift-Up" someday.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #120
eomund240

As long as you plan on changing the motor. 'Cause I will tell you this, the stock Ranger motors are GUTLESS (I have one and it's nicknames the gutless wonder). And yes I'm saying this knowing you said 4.0L.
eomund240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:00 PM   #121
Justin Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomund240 View Post
As long as you plan on changing the motor. 'Cause I will tell you this, the stock Ranger motors are GUTLESS (I have one and it's nicknames the gutless wonder). And yes I'm saying this knowing you said 4.0L.
The 4.0L in my brother's old '94 Ranger wasn't gutless, the 2.3L was another story. The newer 3.0Ls were better, but just don't still make enough power. If you turbo the 2.3L, it comes alive. Haven't heard much about 2.5Ls being turbocharged, but I've been out of the Ranger loop for a few years now.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #122
eomund240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Banner View Post
The 4.0L in my brother's old '94 Ranger wasn't gutless, the 2.3L was another story. The newer 3.0Ls were better, but just don't still make enough power. If you turbo the 2.3L, it comes alive. Haven't heard much about 2.5Ls being turbocharged, but I've been out of the Ranger loop for a few years now.
I have the 2.5. Don't touch it, don't even service it. I decided to do plugs and wires about 3 months ago being as it was due, and it's the most retarted setup in history. The intake manifold wraps over the entire top of the engine, not only making it almost impossible to work on, but very painfull to do certain tasks. The plugs are BEHIND the intake manifold, who does that? On top of that, who ever heard of a 2.5L engine that only makes 120hp (closer to 100 IMO) new, with even less torque? And this is in 1998. My 1990 SOHC 2.4L Nissan makes way more than that.

Sorry, done ranting on my Ford.

One thing I am curious about is the suspension setup. I do some heavy hauling in my truck so I was looking to put some air bags in there about a year ago. I ended up never doing it 'cause the metal where you would mount it was really flimsy and not meant for that, and the frame there would've been a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* to mount to. And I didn't want to mess with the stock damper mounts. I wonder how much fabrication it would take for a setup like this to work. Possibly run a modified off road setup?

Something like this to help keep it low, but still have realistic travel.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #123
Justin Banner

Quote:
One thing I am curious about is the suspension setup. I do some heavy hauling in my truck so I was looking to put some air bags in there about a year ago. I ended up never doing it 'cause the metal where you would mount it was really flimsy and not meant for that, and the frame there would've been a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* to mount to. And I didn't want to mess with the stock damper mounts. I wonder how much fabrication it would take for a setup like this to work. Possibly run a modified off road setup?

Something like this to help keep it low, but still have realistic travel.
I don't quite get what you're asking. Usually, going to a full bag setup requires a 3- or 4-link suspension and installing your mounts by bolting them on or welding the mounts in. Depending on which way and how low you go, you'd cut and install a new "C"-notch in the rear frame where the axle tubes sit. My dad and my brother even had to do this when they flipped the spring perch from above the axle tube to below it (thus getting a 3-4" drop from just that). So, you're looking at a fairly expensive kit and some long labor times.

Oh, just a note from DJM:

"The term "Flip Kit" is sometimes misunderstood. Nothing is actually "Flipped". In fact what really happens is the rear axle is moved from beneath the leaf spring to on top on the leaf spring. This will typically result in a 5" to 8" drop depending on the thickness of the leaf spring."
Old 12-23-2008, 05:23 PM   #124
eomund240

You misunderstand me on the bags. I had no intention of removing or altering my stock suspension or changing my ride height. From what my Dad told me, there's an old school trick to put bags between your leaf springs and frame and when you're hauling a load, you bump up the pressure to help it ride more level.

When looking into this, that's when I noticed how flimsy the bed was right above the axil and the frame right there is a pretty small mounting point.

It would probably be similar to putting on a bag setup, meaning as usual, I'm over complicating it in my head.

And ya, I know what a flip kit is. On the old Chevy Scottsdales, this was a trick to actually raise it because the axils were on top on those.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:50 PM   #125
Justin Banner

Quote:
When looking into this, that's when I noticed how flimsy the bed was right above the axil and the frame right there is a pretty small mounting point.
Ok, I understand now. Those are still sold and it's a bolt on, some drilling, but easy affair. Trust me, you've got enough frame to install it.

God, look up all this Ranger stuff is nearly making me want to drop my RX7 and go Ranger again. I've even found a '87 for $500, I've also found wide fenders that are used for off road that could look good on it with some 17's and a modest 2/4 drop. Ugh, projects... floating... in.. MIND.

Tags
drift truck, drifting a truck, how to drift a truck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: