No announcement yet.

CA18DET or SR20DET?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have no problem with the ca18det... i have quite a few ca18det motor i'm currently on my second car with an ca18det...

fyi... not all of the parts from the american spec pulsar nx will fit on the jdm or uk ca18det.. for example the alternator doesn't fit the mounts are different i ordered one from autozone for my silvia and it never fit it was opposite probably cause it was mounted on the other side or something... i'm running 660cc injector with an sds system and a couple of other things... its should be pretty fast i haven't ran it yet cause i still need to wire it up, but my silvia with a ca18det kept up with a srt-4 wit mods on 7 psi of boost the ca18det can hold its own .... it has a cast iron block and one lobe for every valve unlike the sr20 alumin block with one lobe for every two valve ... ca18det does have pretty okie aftermarket backup not as much as the sr20 but enough www.takakaira.com they have the most ca18det parts i have seen... i hope this help whoever is deciding on sr20 or ca18 if you need any hard to find parts i have lots of spare parts just email me and i see if i can help you out....

Comment

Stick with the CA til it gives up. Thats the time to upgrade to the SR.

Comment

Sorry to be unorthodox...But I prefer the SR20VE...It's all about total balance for me...

Comment

Like all the veteran drifters on here (not me), drifting is all car control, not power. Id go with one that provides the better balance. I think CA18 is lighter but im not sure. And if it is lighter it still provides you with enough power. Im sure youll be fine with the CA18

Comment

Originally posted by Nightwalker View Post
            CA18DET= hard to find parts.
            Go to a nissan dealership and ask about importing parts from other countrys

they'll look for a number and hand you it, call that number up and you can talk with someone from nissan about buying the part you need and importing it.

and if your lazy theres also craigslist and ebay.

not to mention the CA18DET is lighter and stronger then the SR20DET.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightwalker View Post
              CA18DET= hard to find parts.

^ you're an idiot...CA18DET part are like ALL here in the states!

go for the CA!

Comment

Originally posted by ca18det_s13 View Post
                i have no problem with the ca18det... i have quite a few ca18det motor i'm currently on my second car with an ca18det...

fyi... not all of the parts from the american spec pulsar nx will fit on the jdm or uk ca18det.. for example the alternator doesn't fit the mounts are different i ordered one from autozone for my silvia and it never fit it was opposite probably cause it was mounted on the other side or something... i'm running 660cc injector with an sds system and a couple of other things... its should be pretty fast i haven't ran it yet cause i still need to wire it up, but my silvia with a ca18det kept up with a srt-4 wit mods on 7 psi of boost the ca18det can hold its own .... it has a cast iron block and one lobe for every valve unlike the sr20 alumin block with one lobe for every two valve ... ca18det does have pretty okie aftermarket backup not as much as the sr20 but enough www.takakaira.com they have the most ca18det parts i have seen... i hope this help whoever is deciding on sr20 or ca18 if you need any hard to find parts i have lots of spare parts just email me and i see if i can help you out....
                the parts that dont fit the from the pulsar can be ordered from the 1985 200sx turbo that had a CA18ET SOHC but all the RWD stuff is the same

Comment

180sx

Originally posted by prodigy View Post
                  I am going CA18DET because I want to be different and I see no problem with having an engine that is a few years older then the SR red top. What car in the states did the CA18DE come in? I think I should know this seeing how I am going to be a CA owner. The years it came in would also be greatly appreciated.
                  the 180sx is the name for the hatchback that carried the ca18det in Japan. the 240sx hatchback in the states is the same thing but with a different motor.

Comment

Cast my vote for a s13 blacktop. Only reason to go redtop is to instantly do a rebuild if u plan on runnin with oem internal for 5 or more years go blacktop. Plus more torque than a ca. I luv it it just pulls all the way to redline unlike the ka. s13 silvias I read do 0-60 with that motor in 6.18 with 3.6 final drive where 240s here come with a 4.083 add front mount instead of a side mount u got urself a fast lil car or cud be in 6.5 still fast anyway. As more me I decided to be different by driving a 240 in my town there's only less than 10 unlike stangs n all that. I can afford to have bad seals n gaskets goin to school so that's why I wanna blacktop not an old ca I just wanna drop it in n have a runnin car.

Comment

Just looking at it from a cash stand point plus on the sr u mess up ur cylinder walls bad get new sleeves wala

Comment

the ca18det would be kinda cool
                        i haven't seen to many swaps with them recently.

Comment

That's true but if ur tight on money even tho the sr is more up front, and plan on not doing a rebuild for awhile and run stock boost for bit sr is my choice. Plus the whole head gasket thing steered me away from them :P

Comment

ARP head studs and Cometic gasket and done. KA's have gasket problems too.

I really really like the CA18DET. It's such an "engineer's engine" ... But they are old and would need to be gone through IMO before you installed them. And a new turbo is a MUST.

But how is that any different than a redtop SR? The way I feel, if you plan on refreshing the motor, plan on swapping out the turbo, and you're only looking for around 250 - 300hp ... Then the CA wins over the SR redtop any day of the week.

Now if all you want to do is just swap in a motor and drive, or you are looking to build for over 300hp on stock internals, then the blacktop would be a better choice.

Comment

So what if I just ran at like 8-10psi and upped the compression with forged 10.5:1 pistons and con rods wouldn't the ca18det be pretty reliable on relatively low boost without buying a new turbo for basically the same price as a t28? I'm shooting for around 300hp at the crank its going into an rx7 (*Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* the rotary)

Comment

Originally posted by Mooseboy240 View Post
                                So what if I just ran at like 8-10psi and upped the compression with forged 10.5:1 pistons and con rods wouldn't the ca18det be pretty reliable on relatively low boost without buying a new turbo for basically the same price as a t28? I'm shooting for around 300hp at the crank its going into an rx7 (*Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* the rotary)
                                BLASPHEMYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X