Drifting a Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifting a Ford

I am looking to buy a drift car and i started thinking about a 240. But then i thought about repairing parts and all of that. is it cheaper to make repairs on a Japanese car even though it is foreign compared to a Ford? Also, if i where to buy a ford to drift, any ideas on what model i should get?

Very much easier to make repairs on older japanese cars imo. parts are just laying around for the most part. older USDM cars may be easier as well.. I have no expereince with them though. Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, NAPA etc are sure to have more USDM parts laying around in the back thats for sure.

I have never drifted/worked on anything mustang.. but from what I have read, be prepared to spend a good deal of money in the suspension area.
    Last edited by BigGameHit; 03-07-2010, 03:49 PM.

Comment

A mustang would be a good choice for a first drifter. My recommendation would be a 89-93 LX 5.0(same thing as the GT, but without the added weight of the body kit). These years have the MAF engine managment which responds to mods well. There is still a huge aftermarket for these cars and upgrading to a 351 from a truck isn't all that hard. Probably depending on where you're at, it'd be easier to find a fender in the salvage yard for a 'stang if you were to wrinkle one. As well, because a lot of other ford models used the same parts, picking what you need at the parts store is no problem.

Comment

so i have been looking at the foxbody years and they are pretty cheap, even the 5.0 ones. what would i need to do to it in order for it to be a decent drift car? Also if i didn't get a 5.o model but i got a 4 cylinder, could i still drift in that?
        Last edited by StreetSaleen61; 03-07-2010, 09:07 PM.

Comment

If you have never drifted before or did any other things with a car that requires more control than going to a grocery store, I would not recommend modding or upgrading anything right away. You want to gain control first using the stock setup and gradually move up. This way you will understand how the car works and really see the benefits of modifications once they are added.
          Generally most do the following:

-Solid Rear, Welded Diff, 1.5/2 way diff
          -Suspension (or some sort of way to lower the car center of gravity)
          -Junk tires on the rear in the beginning as it will be easier for you to manipulate the car.
          -Power adders
          -auto to manual (if applicable)

Makes and models really don’t matter as long as the layout of the car is FR,MR,RR to start you will be on your way to sliding. I also recommend getting a decent set of front tires because under steering will only make learning harder
          Last edited by BigGameHit; 03-08-2010, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StreetSaleen61 View Post
            so i have been looking at the foxbody years and they are pretty cheap, even the 5.0 ones. what would i need to do to it in order for it to be a decent drift car? Also if i didn't get a 5.o model but i got a 4 cylinder, could i still drift in that?
            Go for a 5.0 w/ a manual. I wouldn't even think about messing with a 4cyl. unless you damn near got it for free and are going to slam a V8 into it. Like BigGameHit said, do the basics and just get out there. A stock 5.0 manual trans Fox will drift just fine for starters.

Comment

Join us:

http://www.driftlive.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

We can help you build up a Mustang.

Comment

Originally posted by GBC View Post
                Join us:

http://www.driftlive.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

We can help you build up a Mustang.
                Yeah!!! I joined you guys week or so ago. Love the site and community. Im deffinatly gonna be able to find all the help i need.

Comment

Working...
                X