No announcement yet.

Touge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yip i agree with that one even if i haven't been drifting for that long,but yes it does help if you know your limits

Comment

I find that I don't really need to drive at like 9/10 or 10/10 to improve, which is sorta a big deal because if you think about it taking it just a little bit easier so you're more at a comfortable level can really save you.

The way I figure it, if you're driving at 10/10 you're pretty much driving as hard as you possibly can without departing the roadway blaze of glory style. Total disregard for everything except speed. To me, driving at the absolute limits of your ability on the street is somewhat criminal. Even a slight mistake can send you careening into thin air, or, god forbid, an onrushing station wagon full of 7 year old soccer players or something. If you're driving at the ragged edge of controll, you should know enough to realize that even on a realitively deserted public road, it's still a public road and not the track.

If you drive at say 8/10 and you really focus on your driving, proper techniques, being smooth, being attentive to the balance and poise of the car, then you can improve without having to go all out. And if you're faster at 8/10, then you know you'll be faster at 10/10 and at the same time you're maintaining a little buffer space incase something goes wrong.

Just what I figure. As usual, correct me if i'm being an idiot

Comment

Originally posted by mranlet
        As for safety, I'm really REALLY glad that the mods haven't closed this thread down. I think the discussion of touge driving and the emphasis on safety is much better than no discussion at all. It's also a good to see respected members advocate a genuine concern for safety and safety for other people.

It helps when we dont have kids asking "YO DU U NO WER I CAN TOEGEHY?"

Comment

There is only so much you can do on the street. Track driving allows you to go faster in a more controlled environment. Not necessaily a safer environment but a more controlled on. It is safer on the track for the general public but just as dangerous for yourself. The only difference is that you have to have safety equipement that actually works the part instead of looking it. On the track, alone, you can run at the limits without worrying about smashing into people. But when there are other race cars on the track, you need to be just as mindful of them as a station wagon loaded with 7 year olds. Cause if you smash someones car doing something stupid you are liable to get socked in the teeth. Nobody likes another mans fist in their mouth.

But you are absolutly right. If you can improve your times at 8/10 speed you can do it at 10/10 speed. But, it takes ten times more concentration to run flat out than it takes to run 8/10.

Comment

One big safety factor for doing it at a track is EMT.

They will always have an EMT crew on site to make sure the driver is safe after a crash.

Imagine being out on a mountain by yourself or others. What are the chances the people you are with are qualified trama EMT members who knows what to do? That chance is pretty slim.

It can make the difference between life and death.

One thing about crashing with other cars on the track. Atleast everyone is trying to do the same direction with relatively similar speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
              It helps when we dont have kids asking "YO DU U NO WER I CAN TOEGEHY?"
              LOL!

I also agree with the driving at less than 100% concept. However, I feel that most of the time I drive at somewhere around 60-70% of my full capacity, and only pull out the 100% when a best time or competitor is involved. That doesn't mean that I go 40% faster, but I drive 40% harder.

Driving on public roads will always demand your attention for the unexpected: someone walking their dog, someone with their headlights off, some wildlife crossing the road, unmarked road construction or maintenance...

#1 priority is always safety, I can't say it enough - The guy who puts others in danger, even if he is the fastest on the hill, is never cool.

-MR

Comment

i totally agree with you. we have alot of *Censored**Censored**Censored* holes here that have stronge cars but they do really stupid things with them and in danger everyone arround them.

Comment

another thing is, usually ppl will get their car, be excited to push it to its limits, etc. but the first thing you need to make sure of is you need to understand the car's condition and track. a lot of kids will be excited they got their new sorts coupe and then go up to the local back roads and push their car 100% which is STUPID. you need to just drve and cruise normally back and forth once or twice to check for possible fallen rock, branches, etc.
                  and get familiar with the turns, just like walking througha track layout, or kids will want to go out and start looking ofr others to race against at street lights, etc. which is stupid. you have to make sure that the car has good tires, the suspension is good, the alignment isnt off, etc. there are a lot factors, know and understand what you are doing and do it safe!

Comment

I race many of the local mountain roads. I do it, because there are no tracks anywhere that I can race on. Now, I do race at night, my car is well prepared, I dont go racing alone, and we close the roads we are racing on.
                    Mountain racing is fun when done right.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC
                      I race many of the local mountain roads. I do it, because there are no tracks anywhere that I can race on. Now, I do race at night, my car is well prepared, I dont go racing alone, and we close the roads we are racing on.
                      Mountain racing is fun when done right.
                      agreed. I have run our road too many times to remeber, and everytime i go out there, i make at least one practice up and down the mountain to make sure there are no sticks, branches, sand, deer, or stupid stoner kids on the road. then i make maybe 1 good run, then go home. the reason i only make 1 run right now is that the brakes on the Z im driving get really spoungy after like 5/6 of the downhill. so when i get back down, i let them cool enough till the work just fine, then go home. (plus that car sucks gas pretty bad, and im not rich, plus i have to fund my 180sx conversion).

back when my 240 was running, i hardly ever used full throttle. it was usually peaking at about 1/2 - 3/4 throttle because it was just too quick for the amount of traffic we have around here. i can only remember a couple times, outside of nights i went drifting, that the pedal actually touched the floor....

Comment

i like touge.. its kinda dificlt bpecouse the cars..and the fall to ta outbounds..its cool but you need yto be very carefull and organised...tahts my theory

Comment

Obviousally, the point of Touge driving is for the excitement and fun, but Safety is always a priority.

It's good that we have this constructive conversaion going, but just keep it in mind that saying certian things could cause this thread to be shut down or could attract unwanted attention to the board.

...I'm just trying to keep an eye on things while SMC is out of town...

Thanks!

-MR

Comment

Originally posted by mranlet

...I'm just trying to keep an eye on things while SMC is out of town...

Thanks!

-MR
                            Most apreciated.. However SMC has returned! well not really because im going to be busy tomorrow too helping out a family member.

Comment

dude WER I CAN TOEGEHY ?
                              lol im just kitting!!

Comment

what types of safety restraints are you guys using on your cars? Im looking for a 4 point harness for mine, anyone know where i can get one for a cheap price (sub $100, if possible)?

Comment

Working...
                                X