ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DRIFTING + "TOYOTA GRAND PRIX" of LONG BEACH (April 8-10th)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRIFTING + "TOYOTA GRAND PRIX" of LONG BEACH (April 8-10th)

“DRIFTING” TO MAKE ITS STREET-LEGAL DEBUT
    AT APRIL 8-10 TOYOTA GRAND PRIX OF LONG BEACH

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    LONG BEACH, Calif. (Jan. 18, 2005) – “Drifting,” the hottest new addition to the world motorsports scene since stadium racing, will be scorching the streets of Long Beach April 8-10 during the 31st Annual Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.

The Inaugural Long Beach Drifting Challenge, conducted in conjunction with Champ Car and Formula Drift, will be the first time Drifting has ever appeared (legally!) on city streets and the first Drifting demonstration to take place around the entire length of a race circuit.

The sport, which originated in the mountains of Japan, is the art of controlling a car sliding sideways and as close to out-of-control as possible, with drivers judged on style and showmanship, rather than speed.
    During a drift, the goal is not to maximize traction, but instead have the car behave as though racing on ice or snow. It’s a total snub to the logic that says cars are designed, engineered and intended NOT to go sideways.
    And, the resultant orgy of billowing smoke and screaming tires is attracting millions of racing fans worldwide.

“It’s a huge, historic step for Drifting to be part of such a major motorsports event, and we’re looking forward to putting on a great show,” said internationally known Drifter Alex Pfeiffer. “Those who don’t know about
    Drifting are in for a wild new experience!”

Experienced Drifters prefer rear-wheel-drive cars that are lightweight, balanced and handle well, such as the AE86 Toyota Corolla and Toyota Supra Twin Turbo.

The current race weekend schedule (subject to change) includes half-hour sessions of the Inaugural Long Beach Drifting Challenge over the entire 1.97-mile, 11-turn race circuit on Friday and Saturday. On Sunday, they will hit the track prior to the 1 p.m. start of the 31st Annual Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach Champ Car race.

“I believe this will be an exciting new addition to our race weekend that will not only be the first-ever full-course Drifting competition, but will also attract a whole new audience to our event,” said Jim Michaelian, President/CEO of the Grand Prix Association of Long Beach. “And, it will also legitimize what some of us have been secretly doing on these downtown Long Beach streets for many years!”

Tickets for the 31st Annual Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, which will run April 8-10, 2005, are on sale now. The Champ Car World Series will again be the headline racing event. Tickets can be ordered via credit card by using the toll-free ticket hotline, (888) 82-SPEED. Tickets can also be purchased on-line at longbeachgp.com, in person at the Grand Prix ticket office (3000 Pacific Ave., Long Beach, Calif. 90806).

Ticket prices range from $32 for a Friday/Saturday-only general admission ticket to $114 for a three-day ticket, which includes Saturday and Sunday reserved seating on upper levels of the grandstands. Limited pre-paid parking packages are available and can be purchased when ordering tickets. Handicapped seating, Bosch Champ Car Garage passes, hospitality club packages and super photo tickets are also available for purchase.

For up-to-date ticket information, descriptions of the various club ticket packages, or for announcements of special Grand Prix event activities, visit the official Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach Web site at longbeachgp.com.
    The Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach is owned and operated by Grand Prix Association of Long Beach, Inc., a subsidiary of Dover Motorsports, Inc. (NYSE: DVD). Dover Motorsports, Inc. is a leading promoter of motorsports events in the United States. Its subsidiaries operate five tracks (four permanent facilities and one temporary circuit) in four states and promote events under the auspices of the sport’s four premier sanctioning bodies - NASCAR, Champ Car, IRL and NHRA. The company owns and operates Dover International Speedway in Dover, Del.; Nashville Superspeedway in Nashville, Tenn.; Gateway International Raceway near St. Louis, Mo.; and Memphis Motorsports Park in Memphis, Tenn.

-TGPLB-

Schedule

THURSDAY, APRIL 7, 2005

5:30 p.m. Tecate “Thunder on Pine” Car Show & pit stop competition (Pine Ave. between Broadway & Fourth)
    6 p.m. Freestyle MX motocross demonstration
    7 p.m. Live entertainment from "Delta Nove"
    9 p.m. Tecate “Thunder on Pine” Concert (at Vault 350; admission charge)

FRIDAY, APRIL 8, 2005

7 a.m. Gates open
    8 a.m. Auto Club Lifestyle Expo opens
    9:30 a.m. Toyota Atlantic practice
    10:15 a.m. Champ Car practice
    11:45 a.m. Toyota Pro/Celebrity practice
    12:30 p.m. Trans-Am practice
    1:15 p.m. Toyota Atlantic qualifying
    2 p.m. Champ Car qualifying
    3:15 p.m. Toyota Pro/Celebrity practice
    4 p.m. Champ Car Driver Autograph session, Champ Car paddock
    4:15 p.m. Trans-Am practice
    4:55 p.m. Long Beach Drifting Challenge Demonstrations
    5:30 p.m. Tecate Fiesta Friday Concert (concert stage)
    6 p.m. Auto Club Lifestyle Expo closes
    9 p.m. Concert (admission charge), Vault 350

SATURDAY, APRIL 9, 2005

7 a.m. Gates open
    9 a.m. Toyota Atlantic practice
    9:45 a.m. Trans-Am qualifying
    10:30 a.m. Champ Car practice
    12:15 p.m. TOYOTA PRO/CELEBRITY RACE
    1:15 p.m. Toyota Atlantic qualifying
    2 p.m. Champ Car qualifying
    3:15 p.m. Long Beach Drifting Challenge Demonstrations
    4 p.m. Trans-Am final practice
    5 p.m. “Rock-N-Roar” Concert (concert stage)
    Following concert Miss Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach Pageant
    6 p.m. Auto Club Lifestyle Expo closes
    9 p.m. Concert (admission charge), Vault 350

SUNDAY, APRIL 10, 2005

7 a.m. Gates open
    8 a.m. Toyota Atlantic warm-up
    9 a.m. Champ Car warm-up
    10:30 a.m. IMPERIAL CAPITAL BANK CHALLENGE FOR THE TOYOTA ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP RACE (32 LAPS)
    11:35 a.m. INAUGURAL LONG BEACH DRIFTING CHALLENGE
    12:15 p.m. Champ Car Pre-Race Ceremonies Begin
    1 p.m. 31st ANNUAL TOYOTA GRAND PRIX OF LONG BEACH CHAMP CAR WORLD SERIES RACE (81 LAPS)
    3:15 p.m. TRANS-AM RACE
    5 p.m. Auto Club Lifestyle Expo closes

(All listed weekend in-circuit events are FREE, unless otherwise noted, to race ticketholders)

Schedule subject to change

Originally posted by INFO
    Experienced Drifters prefer rear-wheel-drive cars that are lightweight, balanced and handle well, such as the AE86 Toyota Corolla and Toyota Supra Twin Turbo.
    lightweight....supra?

Comment

FULL COURSE DRIFT EVENT!!!????????

Comment

This will be like Irwindale except all the turns you'll drift there will be walls!

I hope not.

-Al

Comment

Originally posted by dreamdrivedrift
          lightweight....supra?

Toyota Grand Prix! there not going to mension nissan.

Comment

Originally posted by .Al
            This will be like Irwindale except all the turns you'll drift there will be walls!

I hope not.

-Al
            Well they probably wont want champ cars flying through starbucks and whatnot, so yeah, there will be walls on either side the whole course im guessing.
            www.chrisforsberg.com
            www.driftalliance.com
            www.nosdrift.com
            www.hankooktireusa.com

Comment

What a fun weekend that is going to be.....YES TANDEM BUDDY!!!
              www.driftalliance.com
              TEAM FALKEN

Comment

I've drifted parts of that course before. Only... not a whole lot of people were around and it wasn't exactly race-weekend. Haha Topics, ohh... the LBC days. Remember? remember?

Anywyas, what's the deal with this competition? Who can enter? Or is it a demo for Formula D?

Comment

I'll be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JR, CHris.... that is like 5 mins from my folks place... So even if I am not working with you guys that weekend, I 'll be there

Comment

This is a demo that will be performed by top 2005 Formula Drift drivers. There will be drifting around the entire track

Comment

Originally posted by Formula D
                      This is a demo that will be performed by top 2005 Formula Drift drivers. There will be drifting around the entire track
                      That's what i figured.

I have a question for you... how come Formula D doesn't go to Buttonwillow?

Comment

We are not sure if that track can provide what we need to run an appropriate event.

Comment

Originally posted by Formula D
                          We are not sure if that track can provide what we need to run an appropriate event.
                          whos doing the TV coverage? last year it was on HDNET and i think SpikeTV.

Also FormulaD will this be the frist event on G4tv?

Comment

why!! why do i have to live in illinois! you cali people have all the fun. right now, we're lookin to get about a foot of snow.....and its probably warm there..

Comment

Originally posted by DizyDrifter
                              why!! why do i have to live in illinois! you cali people have all the fun. right now, we're lookin to get about a foot of snow.....and its probably warm there..
                              warm no it was only 78 today was 85 this past weekend.

btw where do i sign up i live a few blocks from turn 8

Comment

Working...
                              X