Clear All

• Lisa Klassen signed by Kaaz for ‘08 Drifting Season

Brief Article

Formula D? Or maybe only Nopi

Interesting

Comment

This is interesting

I talked to her for a brief moment at D1

She was real real cool, and I'm kinda critical of women drivers. She didnt have that "look at me I'm a girl" vibe that other girl drifters have. She also seemed to not be so sure of her skills at drifting which was also another thing that kinda set her apart.

I wish her luck in improving and making a name for her self.

Comment

does kaaz now have a all girl drift team, or is brian norris still around?

Do they still have hiromi, she's bad a55

Comment

Originally posted by Stannyboy View Post
          does kaaz now have a all girl drift team, or is brian norris still around?

Do they still have hiromi, she's bad a55
          brian norris?! wtf stan, i think he's been gone for a while...since before benson was driving with them, and more currently barry...

how was vegas?

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
            This is interesting

I talked to her for a brief moment at D1

She was real real cool, and I'm kinda critical of women drivers. She didnt have that "look at me I'm a girl" vibe that other girl drifters have. She also seemed to not be so sure of her skills at drifting which was also another thing that kinda set her apart.

I wish her luck in improving and making a name for her self.
            We talked to her as well and i thought the same thing, she's not like the majority of other girl's doing male dominated sports that push their being a woman to get them anywhere in the sport. Its not a problem being a woman in a sport, but to me youre putting yourself on a lower level if youre thinking its any different being a woman than a man in racing.

Comment

Originally posted by gigglesnirt View Post
              We talked to her as well and i thought the same thing, she's not like the majority of other girl's doing male dominated sports that push their being a woman to get them anywhere in the sport. Its not a problem being a woman in a sport, but to me youre putting yourself on a lower level if youre thinking its any different being a woman than a man in racing.
              With that being well said, I have seen Lisa "attempt" to drift at Drift Buffet in 2007 where she declined to run after paying for the event due to a fear of walls. I would say that she is in need of a lot more practice before she is anywhere near ready to go into FD / NOPI / D1. Unless she has been drifting every day for the last 5 months I don't think she will make very much impact. I wish her the best of luck but perhaps spending a year in the Top Drift series or the DD comps or anything that will build some confidence and skill atthe same time without putting too much pressure to perform on her. She is so far from Hiromi in skill that I really don't understand this move by KAAZ.

Comment

I wish her the best of luck! She has a lot to live up to. Hiromi is a fawking great driver and one of the coolest folks I have met in drifting.

P.S.

she's not like the majority of other girl's doing male dominated sports that push their being a woman to get them anywhere in the sport. Its not a problem being a woman in a sport, but to me youre putting yourself on a lower level if youre thinking its any different being a woman than a man in racing.
                It's hard to not act like you aren't different being a female in a male dominated sport when thats all anyone ever talks about. Every time I get interviewed for something or a spectator talks to me, the first thing out of their mouth is "how does it feel to be a girl out there"? I try to fit in with the boys, but it seems that outside of the drivers, no one lets you do that. From my experience, the drivers always treat me the same as everyone else (aside from occasionally picking on me because I have boobs ). It's just the outsiders who don't let the female thing go.

Comment

Taking a professional driver from some other kind of racing and throwing them into a drift car is the most popular thing you can do these days.
                  I mean, it doesn't even matter that they have never done it before, never saved paychecks to buy tires, never driven a local event, never anything....

Comment

sorry i didn't read lisa was doing a series for drifting. I thought i remember when we talked she was saying she was trying to get kaaz to sponsor for rally racing, interesting how it might turn out though.

Comment

Wait wait wait, who said barry is a girl?
                      BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

Seriously?

I see her at a lot of drift events.

I've never seen her drift before ever.

She's just there at the event.

Oh well anyways. Good luck to her.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                          Taking a professional driver from some other kind of racing and throwing them into a drift car is the most popular thing you can do these days.
                          I mean, it doesn't even matter that they have never done it before, never saved paychecks to buy tires, never driven a local event, never anything....
                          The first step to curing hater-holism is to admit you have a problem...

A sob story about how one has to save their pennies to buy tires and drive long distances to grassroots events doesn't give someone a right towards a sponsored ride over someone else.

And chances are this chick already paid plenty of dues in Rally Racing.

Besides I can think of another rally driver who broke into drifting with very little previous drift specific experience and bagged an even bigger sponsorship than this.

You might know him...short dude with a funny accent...likes to say "kah" a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
                            The first step to curing hater-holism is to admit you have a problem...

A sob story about how one has to save their pennies to buy tires and drive long distances to grassroots events doesn't give someone a right towards a sponsored ride over someone else.

And chances are this chick already paid plenty of dues in Rally Racing.

Besides I can think of another rally driver who broke into drifting with very little previous drift specific experience and bagged an even bigger sponsorship than this.

You might know him...short dude with a funny accent...likes to say "kah" a lot.
                            I think what Brian is trying to get across is that it sucks that people who actually drift and who want to find sponsors to compete in FD or any series are getting shafted by people who are jumping into the sport from a different type of motorsport. Not saying that its right or wrong for a company to do that, but thats what that company decided to do. Ive noticed that too, alot of companies have and will continue to do that. That makes it that much harder for an amateur or up and coming drifter to land a deal on a Team or major sponsor.

We got Rhys, Sam, Tanner, Cook, Papadakis, McQuarrie, etc who came from different motorsports, and they have done big things for this sport. But also, you got to remember where this sport originated from..regular joes who kicked @$$ and worked their way up to compete in a pro series and land sponsors who think "the other way". Those companies took chances on up and coming drivers. If those companies didnt take a chance on the amateurs, you would have never heard of household names like Gittin, Forsberg, Canul, Gushi, Petty, Sherman, etc.

It sucks because alot of amateurs look to these companies for a chance to get sponsored. Alot of these companies used to sponsor amateurs, but now are getting drivers from other motorsports. Thats their choice, but it makes it that much harder for diehard drifters to compete professionally.

Comment

unfortunately i think companies look at the big picture.

a female driver. weather they are good or not is going to create news.

not many people have the balls to tell a company or let alone a female "hey you suck why are you sponsored?"

i understand the grassroots part of drifting. such as gushi casper and such.

but when you look at drifting when it was first stateside. the people who got sponsored at the time were "the best" at that current time.
                              if you look at the og's of usa d1 and such were are they on podium?

its all on who you know.

how many Amatures can compete on a pro level with top dollar teams?

Comment

Working...
                              X