SR20DET front clip (s13) Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR20DET front clip (s13) Question

I am getting an SR20DET front clip (s13) on Monday for sure. Now my question is should I get a blacktop (stock, a couple to choose from around 60K kilometers) or a redtop (importer will throw in a tuned ECU, clips range from 40K-60K kilometers)? I have done a TON of research on the two engines and seem to get the same information, blacktops have better/different pistons, better oil cooling passageways and squirter patterns, a head design made to flow a little better than the redtop, and little cooling fins. There is also people claming that the only difference is the ECU. So here I am trying to decide what to do, stock blacktop with a little more miles or redtop with less miles and a new tuned ECU installed for the same price.

My other question is what are your feelings on buying a clip with modifications? Do you think that this is a sign that it has been driven hard and stock would be better? What about low miles (43K kilometers) with a strut bar, ground kit, and sheepdog BOV? Do you think modifications don't matter as long as the engine has good compression (what is stock for a dry compression test? 160ish?)? I am just having trouble trying to make a decision and I need as much input as I can get.

Thank you all very much for your time, help and input.

well i havent done as much research as you have but a few things i do know, as far as port design, the lter models had a "high port" design which does promote power, but other than that, id say a compression test will tell all that you need to know. as far as mods go, as long as the mileage low i dont think it should make a big diffrence as long as you keep up with maintenance. id say a black top personally, the better the starting ground the better the results.

Comment

Working...
    X