RX8 LS1 by Kyle Mohan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX8 LS1 by Kyle Mohan

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6SQ6hZryRXw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    RX8 LS1 by Kyle Mohan

Kyle Mohan Racing has rolled out its latest creation from its Signal Hill, California work shop - an LS1-powered Mazda RX-8 which will be used in the World Drift Series in China.

Mohan has competed in the World Drift Series over the past four seasons in a rotary-powered Mazda RX-7 Turbo II. However, the limitations of the available gasoline in China have led Mohan to put an LS1 engine into the new Mazda RX-8 he has built for the series. Mohan's World Drift Series program is run in parallel with his Formula Drift program, in which he drives the Nexen/Energy-X/Mazdatrix Mazda RX-8.

"We had planned to build an RX-8 for the World Drift Series for a long time, and we were able to kick the project into high gear over the past few months," said Mohan. "It's been quite a challenge to build this car and develop the parts necessary to put an LS1 into a Mazda RX-8, but we were able draw from all of the knowledge we have accumulated from our Formula Drift car. We definitely are not abandoning our Formula Drift program, with our Mazdatrix built, 13B-powered Mazda RX-8. In fact, the crowds in China totally love our 13B-powered Mazda RX-7 but we have had a difficult time getting consistently good racing gasoline so we have gone the V8 route for this car."

Mohan recently tested the KMR RX-8 LS1 at the famous Thursday Night Drift at Adams Motorsports Park.

"I'll admit it was a little bit strange to hear the V8 sound when I turned on the RX-8 LS1 for the first time," said Mohan. "We had a couple of good shakedown sessions and got the car dialed in pretty well before it goes on the long boat ride to China. It feels a lot like our Nexen/Energy-X/Mazdatrix Mazda RX-8, but I expected that because we built it with many of the same ideas and parts. I'm excited to drive this car for the rest of the year in the World Drift Series."

Mohan competed in the first World Drift Series event of the 2014 season, finishing in fourth place at Tianjin. The next round of the World Drift Series will be at Luoyang, China on September 21. Mohan will compete in the next Formula Drift event at Texas Motor Speedway on September 13-14.
Working...
X