Will this car work for drifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this car work for drifting?

I have a 2000 Honda S2000 and am wanting to start getting into drifting. I mess around every once in awhile in church parking lots and whenever it's raining and easy to drift (this car has no torque), but I would like to start getting more serious about it. Before throwing money into this car.. I would like to know if it will be good for drifting with either a new engine or just a turbo, and obviously a lot more mods. If not, I will sell it and buy an S14 and end up with enough money for a full engine swap straight up. I absolutely love my S2000 and I would only trade it for a handful of high end cars. So, will this car work for drifting or is there no hope for it? Yes, I'm willing to make big changes. Please provide extremely detailed answers. Links to other websites on this topic are welcome. Thank you very much in advance!

Hey Frodo,

S2000's, as you've noticed, have little to no low-end torque. Most drift cars have plenty of low-end power, so that makes the S2000 a difficult car to drift with. Also, it has a pretty short wheelbase(94.5"), which also makes it difficult. Generally, the longer the wheelbase, the easier it is to break grip, and keep the car sideways. S2000 owners that I know that have tried drifting it typically report two scenarios when drifting. One, that the handling is very "chirpy" when actually drifting, meaning it grips one moment, loses grip, then grips again in very quick succession. This makes it very unpredictable to drift accurately and smoothly. Two, they spin-out completely with little to no warning. Both of these scenarios can be attributed to the short wheelbase.

That being said, it is possible to modify an S2K into a drift-capable car. A turbo, of course, would help. A 20G size would be a good option because they typically have almost no lag, if at all, meaning you have torque/power as soon as you step on the gas, and also provide a very wide powerband. The key to drifting an S2K is really to keep the car in VTEC(above 6,000 rpms)/

Comment

Working...
    X