Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formula D Rules Changes for 2012 - MotoIQ Break Down

Formula D rules changes for 2012 - MotoIQ Break Down

Formula Drift 2012 - New Year, New Rules!

by Justin Banner

Formula Drift, and drifting in general, is possibly the most unique motorsport in the fact that many of the suspension, engine, and even drivetrain rules are so open. Well, open provided you keep the car a rear-wheel-drive layout and use the tires allowed into the sport. The next closest would be our MotoIQ Pacific Tuner Car Championship.

If you have been doing your best to keep up with Formula Drift's Rule Book, you have a basic idea of what FD is looking for in a Drift car. For this year there are a number of changes. The tire rule has changed again, with new weights and new tire sizes. Many suspension rules are now set in more stone than last year, along with what I think is an oddball rule to add when I first read it. Also, Appendix K is no longer in effect, but there are rules in place of it. Let's start with the most controversial, the often dreaded "Tire Rule."
    Formula Drift 2012 Rules

CONTINUE HERE...
    http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...2-rules.aspx?2

CONTINUE HERE...
    http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...2-rules.aspx?2

WHAT?! No more tire balancing fluid?!

poor Falken....

Comment

Originally posted by YOitzJDM View Post
      WHAT?! No more tire balancing fluid?!

poor Falken....
      What is that about? I heard you mention it before and thought you were joking

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post
        What is that about? I heard you mention it before and thought you were joking
        once upon a time in a land far far away, some competitors saw some mechanics airing up their tires in a method that is different from the norm. When asked why they did it that way, they were told "oh, we mix in some tire balancing fluid with the air so that the tires balance when the drivers do the burnout to warm up the tires."

Upon investigation, it was noted that circle track guys used the same method of airing up their tires to inject tire softener and illegal fluids into the tires. It was a known way to gain an advantage.

Tire softener was illegal in FD last year. Tire balancing fluid was not. How do you test the difference? With some chemical tests that are probably more complex than FD has the capability to do (they could barely get durometer testing right!)

Kevin Wells came in and said "no liquids in the tires". Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
        X