Oil Weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Weight?

I keep checking with different people, and they tell me to use the exact opposite things to use! I would prefer the best for the most performance, of coarse, not most engine life.

Any ideas?
    Mixing?
    Company?

Thanks.

Oops

Not that I wouldn't want a nice car to last a long time, but I don't have a nice car to exactly worry about yet.

Thanks.

Comment

Might help if you tell me what kind of motor we're talking about... In general, you should never base oil weight on performance, but on protection (engine life, duribility). In my 240, I use 10-30W mobil synthetic. In my AE86 race car, I use 20-50W mineral, but this 4AG regularly sees 8,000+ rpms.

Comment

I have a b16 sir 2 that usually will see about 6,000 rpm on a daily basis. I also have a 85 Corolla that will see driving maybe once a week, it's my baby.

I don't really care about protection of my b16 because I don't really like it all that much. My Corolla is a different story, but I still would like to see it make a descent amount of performance. Protection is probably more of an issue with the Corolla though, so any thoughts?

Comment

Royal Purple is good. HKS makes application specific.

Comment

Thanks Chas.

Comment

The Royal Purple is kind of expensive at the moment for me, so which weight should I buy for my high performance engines in general?

Comment

I'd say 10W40 synthetic.....I dunno about you but I can get Royal Purple for 5 bucks a quart......i thought that was pretty cheap for a performance oil but then sometimes I understand, we just poor
                Last edited by Forge_55b; 12-23-2003, 06:35 PM.

Comment

10w40 is what most people use. Ive seen some use 5w50, but thats a little extreme.

Comment

I use 10w - 30 nothing but the best mobil1 synthetic ( I need the lubrication! ) $80 bucks for a 5qt canister, hummm I wonder if 100+ octane and synthetics have anything to do with my motor killing over every year..... nah has to be the high revs haha!

Comment

Working...
                    X